ANZ diners Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertoman

Hi everyone...

I've just read a couple of posts where people have got double and even triple sometimes out of Diners.

danielh's effor particularly impressive.

Currently I have an Amex plat and a ANZ Gold ( not FF ). I was wondering if I change my ANZ GOLD to a ANZ FF Gold ( because Woolies are dead ) :

Do ANZ authomatically offer you this Diners Card ?

What are the annual fees ?

Are points capped ?

Thanks and Regards

Bertoman

A Diners card is quite different than an ANZ diners card.A Diners card is managed directly through Diners Club.A co-branded card such as the ANZ Diners card is managed by ANZ and uses the backend Diners network.People who have Diners Club cards have often mentioned they have been able to pressure Diners to offer them more points.But I have not heard of ANZ doing this before.Personally, I wouldnt bother with a Diners card due to the limited acceptance.

I've tried doing exactly what bertoman has suggested with no luck. I've even asked ANZ how to apply for the Card and they referred me to Diners Club. And I asked them directly for an application form 3 times and each time the operater send sure no worries, but I never got one. I assume that since Citi is issuing Citi Diners Clubs the ANZ deal is finished. I agree with one9 it's probably not worth the effort ... but I colllect cards ... crazy me.
Regards
Cardcollector

Could someone with a Diners card tell me, how many places actually accept Diners?

Do you get rejected often?

Diners claim 160,000 establishments in Australia, which is hardly a big number.

Generally I find it accepted at restaurants and hotels, but when you get away from these, acceptance becomes very patchy.

I have a Corporate Diners Club card and company policy is that I must use it for all company expenses unless it is not accepted. 99% of my company expenses are travel-related (airfares, accommodation, taxi, car rental etc). In the 4 or so years I have had the Diners Club corp card, I have had one major chain hotel that would not accept it (Novotel Citygate at HKG airport).

However, I have not tried to use it for personal expenses such as restaurants, supermarkets, utilities etc.

My personal view is that Diners is well accepted in the travel and entertainment industries, but poorly accepted by local businesses (i.e. Joe's Mechanical Repairs, Con The Fruiterer, the local bike shop etc) and utilities. They do seem to be accepted at Petrol stations, major supermarkets and department stores etc.

For my expenses, Amex has been better accepted than Diners, including my kids school fees (though I lose that one next year when they are changing schools and back to Visa/MC/BC only).

Other than the initial offer in September 2003, has anyone been offered the ANZ Diners club card and if so when? I'm trying to work out if they've stopped issuing ANZ Diners club cards.

A more general questions ... Does anyone know if Diners Club are actively trying to acquire new customers? Does anyone know if Citi have any plans for the Diners Club?

I look forward to your replies.
The Collector
:shock:

one9 said:
Could someone with a Diners card tell me, how many places actually accept Diners?
one9 said:
Do you get rejected often?

I shop at Coles, Liquorland (when I haven't got time to visit the wineries at Rutherglen or Milawa), buy petrol at Shell, use taxis. Diners are accepted at these outlets. I have found that some merchants such as paying council rates, phone bills, utilities etc won't accept Diners. Then I use the Visa. With travel and accom I have had very little problems using Diners especially overseas. However I have found that the Citibank Platinum Visa, when offered on check in has resulted in room upgrades on four occasions since I've had it. (June 06). I've found the acceptance of Diners is pretty good and at the moment I'm on 2 points per $ spent with annual fee waived.:)

I have a ANZ Diners card for the last 3 years and have never paid them any yearly service fees. In addition to NO yearly fees, I have also managed to gain double points for Petrol and supermarket expenses (but only for 3 months at a time). At one particular time I didnt use the card for 3 months and then came an offer for double points for the next 6 months.

I agree the card is not widely accepted but I dont see any harm in keeping it as long as they dont ask for fees.

So now I use this card at Coles/Woolies, Amex Rewards max at other outlets and if both of them are not accepted then I use ANZ FF card.

Cardcollector said:
A more general questions ... Does anyone know if Diners Club are actively trying to acquire new customers? Does anyone know if Citi have any plans for the Diners Club?

I know that they are desperately trying to keep old cutomers. When I tried to cancel my card (trying to consolidate cards) a couple of months ago, the Diners CSO nearly came through the phone, begging me to stay with Diners. When he offered me double poits and waived the annual fee I acquiesced. I don't know what Citi plans for DC. I would agree with the earlier comment that Diners is now much more readily accepted and I rarely have to substitute the Visa.

Hi Guys ....

cardcollector wrote <<<<

>>>>

I've tried doing exactly what bertoman has suggested with no luck. I've even asked ANZ how to apply for the Card and they referred me to Diners Club. And I asked them directly for an application form 3 times and each time the operater send sure no worries, but I never got one. I assume that since Citi is issuing Citi Diners Clubs the ANZ deal is finished. I agree with one9 it's probably not worth the effort ... but I colllect cards ... crazy me.

<<<<

Can anyone truly confirm if this card is being offered to new ANZ FF customers ?

bertoman

I personally wouldnt use diners due to the fact that some merchants will charge higher processing fees on Diners Club Cards. I have heard of surcharges of over 3%. Plus the card isnt widely accepted. Coles Myer outlets seem to accept them. Alot of resturants don't bother accepting them, due to the high fees. Also quite alot of financial institutions don't allow or don't support Diners Club transactions on their EFTPOS terminals by default.

In answer to your question bertoman, why dont you ring ANZ Cards on 13 33 33 and ask them, I am sure their sales staff are just waiting to take your call.

I tried asking ANZ for the ANZ DC several times ... no one from ANZ seemed to know what to do! And each time i was referred to DC - whom also didn't realy know what to do -they just sent me a standard DC application form.

The fact is the ANZ probably just sell the a customer list to DC who send an application form out i.e. a campaign soley run by Citi using the ANZ's customer list. I think ANZ have nothing to do with the ANZ DC other than the list provision.

locomotion said:
I personally wouldnt use diners due to the fact that some merchants will charge higher processing fees on Diners Club Cards. I have heard of surcharges of over 3%. Plus the card isnt widely accepted. Coles Myer outlets seem to accept them. Alot of resturants don't bother accepting them, due to the high fees. Also quite alot of financial institutions don't allow or don't support Diners Club transactions on their EFTPOS terminals by default.
Personally I wouldn't pay money for a Diners card of any sort (mine is free courtesy of the late lamented Golden Wing Club life membership). Payment terms are generally worse, they are harder to deal with and, as mentioned, acceptance is poor. I have been on the receiving end of their cutely named "liquidated damages" for late payment due to recording errors at their end - reversed but with considerable ill-will.

Similar experience here. Asked ANZ if the product still existed and it doesnt. They can put you through to Diners Club, but the transfer bombs and you are disconnected.

Diners just try and sell you a standard card when you contact them. 1point per $1. No deals - nothing. No hook up with ANZ anymore.

My guess is now that AMEX have stiched up qantas with their Qantas cards - Diners is left out.

Diners are currently trying to flog their business card with 3 points per dollar but you have to be a business to have one. After 3 months you are back to 1 for 1.

44 days interest free and they charge you to pay your bill? Get off it.

US and Europe acceptance is well below par hence the deal with Mastercard. This product is only available to US card holders anyway. Australian acceptance is OK but not brilliant. Great if you want to buy opals and duty free (Coles/DJ's and larger stores and supermarkets - also major petrol chains too) but the rest of the merchants will be touch and go.

Even a green Amex charge card is better than this dog. Woof!

Only real advantage is the business card system that DC have and the GST reporting that goes with it.

I cant beleive that Citi are still persisting with this card. In the UK, they use the Carte Blanche brand as a premium card (a bit like Amex platinum) which would make sense, but not here.

I just had a look into the ANZ Diners, it looks like the discontinued offering this product in 2005, must have been that the profit sharing agreement which pulled in $7million a year was not enough for them. I don't like ANZ much anyway, most of their cards only have the 44 days int free, 14 days to pay sucks. If you want a business card thats decent go with CBA, no rewards, but at least they have 55days int free and low int rates, the fees are low as well, plus you get the convenience of MasterCard. I love MasterCard... so much more convenient than Visa. Plus PayPass is a nice feature.

My MasterCard Platinum has much better features than Visa Platinum, plus I always get offers and competions for my MasterCard which I have won a prize on most of them, wheras my Visa card just doesn't have the same sort of competitions. Also MasterCard moments has much better benefits and offers than the Visa Club, also MasterCard has PayPass, I live in an area that accepts PayPass and I have found it to be a much easier way to pay for things as I don't have to sign for purchases under $35. Also I have found MasterCard to be more widely accepted overseas than Visa. Do I need to go on?

i got sent an ANZ diners Card application form after repeatedly requesting one finally got one in the post via a request in anz secure email site. I though they had to be linked to a anz ff visa card. Howerver I was told i only had to pay $24 / yr if i wrote on the form i didnt want to join the rewards program. the only reason im interested in getting diners card is to access the free airport lounges in London (STN) Stansted Airport. has anyone out there successfully used the ANZ diners Card to gain free access to the lounges ? anyone know how i can obtain a no annual fee diners card ?

i got sent an ANZ diners Card application form after repeatedly requesting one finally got one in the post via a request in anz secure email site. I though they had to be linked to a anz ff visa card. Howerver I was told i only had to pay $24 / yr if i wrote on the form i didnt want to join the rewards program. the only reason im interested in getting diners card is to access the free airport lounges in London (STN) Stansted Airport. has anyone out there successfully used the ANZ diners Card to gain free access to the lounges ? anyone know how i can obtain a no annual fee diners card ?

Did you find an answer on this at all? Also would you still have an email copy of the form? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back