Anyone claimed anything on credit card travel insurance? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Anyone claimed anything on credit card travel insurance?

wansze82

Has your credit card insurance been just as good as any other travel insurance?

Pushka

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It depends on the circumstances. But I’ve claimed on my credit card insurance for a health issue that arose unexpectedly.

Andyc

I just recently had a great experience with AMEX Platinum insurance for a hire car issue.

OZDUCK

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I had a small claim handled very well by Zurich on a Citibank associated card

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter

Yes. Once had to cancel 8 weeks in Europe when the wife had an accident.. That was on the old Amex Platinum Insurance

Yes. Once had to claim for rabies shots in Vietnam. Live type was about $1000 US... Cant' remember now which CC - one of the banks. Probably ANZ.

opusman

AFF Supporter
Yes, claimed twice, no different to a paid policy.

A former member of this board had $35K reimbursed for medical expenses under a credit card policy.

Pushka

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Yes, claimed twice, no different to a paid policy.

A former member of this board had $35K reimbursed for medical expenses under a credit card policy.
The reason why I take out an additional paid policy is that credit card insurance won’t accept claims for pre existing medical conditions.

J_seeker

Yes, claimed through NAB Platinum VISA in December 2011. From memory I think cover was through Allianz. Claim was in excess of USD20,000 due ski accident (not my fault) in Breckenridge, Colorado. Service was brilliant. Once NAB was advised all bills were paid directly by Allianz. No need to max out the credit card and wait for reimbursement. Final cost was just the standard AUD200 excess.

Daver6

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I just recently had a great experience with AMEX Platinum insurance for a hire car issue.
Likewise for a cracked windscreen charge. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't even an excess!

Andyc

Likewise for a cracked windscreen charge. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't even an excess!
Agree.
In fact, took Avis 5mths to bill me for the damage and 1 week for AMEX Insurance (Chubb) to reimburse.

Lat34

Yes, claimed on NAB Qantas Rewards card for skiing accident Feb 2017 (QBE Travel Insurance). Fractured tibial plateau at Copper Mountain, USA. Claimed for x-rays, leg brace, doctor review & meds (paid on clinic discharge) plus airline change fees to get back to Australia for surgery plus taxi from SYD to RNS hospital emergency. Reimbursed all charges no problems. Though it did take several months for a final US doctors charge to reach me, again no problems with QBE.

Also associated with this accident, lodged a second claim for airfares and accommodation as unable to attend Philippines sailing regatta scheduled end of Feb 2017.

Again, no problems.

woodyren

Nope.

Pre-existing conditions means its worthless to me.
I have had one small claim with my Commbank Platinum card policy. Claim was for 7 stiches in my foot and follow up treatment from a cut whilst on a pacific cruise. Simple and approved quickly once I submitted receipts on my return home.

As we are on the road for around 5-6 months each year with occasional extended individual trips of up to 4 months I specifically keep the otherwise poor value Commbank card for its free travel insurance. Most other annual policies limit each trip to 90 days max. Commbank card has cover for 12 months and only needs online activation with no purchase required.

I have a pre existing condition ( Atrial Fibrillation which is under control) and luckily I can then pay an additional premium for each trip to cover the specific condition. I have shopped around quite a lot for policies that fit and the card annual fee plus the extra premium for my pre-existing condition make it a value option for me.

ksthommo

Yes Bankwest/Zurich back in 2015. Mount Agung stuffed us around. Flew to Jakarta instead of Bali.
Reimbursed $1359.

RisingPhoenix

AFF Supporter
Amex (Chubb) No issues on reimbursing accomodation (paid for on another card) due to cancelled domestic flights (Return paid for with Amex) Quick turnaround and great service.

zig

AFF Supporter
Amex (Chubb) No issues on reimbursing accomodation (paid for on another card) due to cancelled domestic flights (Return paid for with Amex) Quick turnaround and great service.
Ditto. Claim handled very quickly and full accomodation costs reimbursed.

defurax

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Yes with NAB AMEX Qantas card (QBE). Domestic Delta flight delayed overnight out of JFK, no hotel available according to Delta, so I just booked the Sheraton nearby for USD400. QBE reimbursed me the whole amount even though the policy had a AUD350 max for delay...
I have to say it wasn't straightforward though because Delta had automatically given me a USD200 flight voucher and QBE requested the voucher to be cancelled before reimbursing my hotel stay. Took 3 months for Delta to cancel the flight voucher.

theblank

Established Member
yes, this has been discussed in many threads here.

The insurers that cover the free credit card insurance, are the same insurers that cover the paid for insurance. There really is only about a handful of insurers Chub, Allianz, QBE et all, and they dont treat you any different, because you didnt pay for it directly - they certainly got paid for it.

and most definitely the policies and exclusion conditions are virtually identical.

wansze82

This is all very reassuring. I’ve only relied on our credit card insurance but have never had to claim. Good to know about pre-existing condition exclusion. We are having trouble with that applying for life and income protection insurance at the moment. My partner got DVT and subsequently pulmonary embolism after a long haul flight. I wonder if the travel insurance will consider this preexisting too?

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louise Hepplewhite

Currently Active Users