Ansett / Eastwest reborn? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Ansett / Eastwest reborn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyJ

Newbie
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
5
Anyone familiar with the plans of Townsville businessman Terry Byrt to relaunch the Ansett / Eastwest names?

Came accross the Ansett Regional Airlines website at www.ansettairways.com
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,647
Flights
My Map
There were some stories a month or so back about a company called 'Ansett Industires' seeking to takeover Advent Air, which is the controlling company of Skywest. What, if anything became of that, I don't know.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,806
Flights
My Map
DaveyJ said:
Anyone familiar with the plans of Townsville businessman Terry Byrt to relaunch the Ansett / Eastwest names?

Came accross the Ansett Regional Airlines website at www.ansettairways.com
DaveyJ,

Welcome to AFF. :wink: 8)

I've not heard about this however if you wait a few days :idea: until some more of the regulars are back around you will probably hear from someone who has some gos'
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,647
Flights
My Map
FOund one little snippet from October on the Travlbiz site:

See: http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/f8/0c037af8.asp


‘Ansett’ plans Skywest takeover bid

Skywest has received a letter from a Townsville South-based company, Ansett Industries, claiming it will launch a takeover bid for the airline’s holding company, Advent Air.


Terence Byrt, of Ansett Industries, said the takeover offer would be launched after Advent Air listed on the Alternative Investment Market in London this month.

Skywest told the Australian Stock Exchange it had no further information about the bid and had been unable to verify the “corporate existence of the writer of the letter”.

The airline said any takeover bid for Skywest’s holding company would have to comply with Australian regulations.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,647
Flights
My Map

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,806
Flights
My Map
oz_mark said:
Alan in CBR said:
DaveyJ said:
Came accross the Ansett Regional Airlines website at www.ansettairways.com
At the risk of sounding like a spotter, that Fokker on the homepage looks a lot like an F27, rather than an F50 (as the caption states).

Yes I know, I'm sad. :D
Indeed, the aircarft has an uncanny resemblance to the F27 pictured here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/083234/M/
Certainly looks like the same shot with the tow bar painted out :!:

Interesting :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :shock:
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,647
Flights
My Map
straitman said:
oz_mark said:
Alan in CBR said:
DaveyJ said:
Came accross the Ansett Regional Airlines website at www.ansettairways.com
At the risk of sounding like a spotter, that Fokker on the homepage looks a lot like an F27, rather than an F50 (as the caption states).

Yes I know, I'm sad. :D
Indeed, the aircarft has an uncanny resemblance to the F27 pictured here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/083234/M/
Certainly looks like the same shot with the tow bar painted out :!:

Interesting :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The registration looks to be the same on both aircraft - although it is a bit hard to tell exactly as the pic on the ansettairways site gets a bit blurry when zooming in on it.
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
oz_mark said:
Alan in CBR said:
DaveyJ said:
Came accross the Ansett Regional Airlines website at www.ansettairways.com
At the risk of sounding like a spotter, that Fokker on the homepage looks a lot like an F27, rather than an F50 (as the caption states).

Yes I know, I'm sad. :D
Indeed, the aircarft has an uncanny resemblance to the F27 pictured here:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/083234/M/
Good pick-up!

I've just sent a message to the copyright holder, in case he wasn't previously aware of it. It is, after all, unattributed.
 

clifford

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,776
It would seem this is about a few no-hopers wanting to capitalise on an illustrious Australian name.

If you want to know why Ansett was killed off, it was a Liberal Government decree (so that Qantas could rule the roost). Ask yourself why trivial mechanical faults were found on Ansett aircraft and not on Qantas (which had similar problems).

How do I know? I was a senior executive at the Australian CAA.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
clifford said:
It would seem this is about a few no-hopers wanting to capitalise on an illustrious Australian name.

If you want to know why Ansett was killed off, it was a Liberal Government decree (so that Qantas could rule the roost). Ask yourself why trivial mechanical faults were found on Ansett aircraft and not on Qantas (which had similar problems).

How do I know? I was a senior executive at the Australian CAA.
I was p*ssed off about the collapse at the time, and wondered what else might be happening that the general public was unaware of. :(

I couldn't understand why SQ did not grab it while they could and thereby get access to any route out of Australia that they wanted. Made sense to me.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,806
Flights
My Map
clifford said:
It would seem this is about a few no-hopers wanting to capitalise on an illustrious Australian name.

If you want to know why Ansett was killed off, it was a Liberal Government decree (so that Qantas could rule the roost). Ask yourself why trivial mechanical faults were found on Ansett aircraft and not on Qantas (which had similar problems).

How do I know? I was a senior executive at the Australian CAA.
Sorry Clifford. That is a huge over simplification of the facts. More like a head to head between two individuals. One at CASA and one at Ansett that caused the trivial mechanical faults to get such prominence.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
clifford said:
How do I know? I was a senior executive at the Australian CAA.
The CAA hasn't existed with that name since July 1995 when it was divided into CASA and Airservices Australia.

Rather a long time before Ansett's problems.

Back to other matters, the copyright holder of the photograph on ansettairways.com was unaware of its use, and has sent a "please explain" message.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,647
Flights
My Map
Alan in CBR said:
Back to other matters, the copyright holder of the photograph on ansettairways.com was unaware of its use, and has sent a "please explain" message.
Keep us posted on what happens with this.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,789
Flights
My Map
straitman said:
Sorry Clifford. That is a huge over simplification of the facts. More like a head to head between two individuals. One at CASA and one at Ansett that caused the trivial mechanical faults to get such prominence.
I don't have all the details in front of me, but my memory tells me there were now actually any mechanical faults with the AN aircraft, but the problem was around the documentation of the maintenance processes, and the 767 aircraft were grounded until the paperwork process could be shown to match the work undertaken.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
NM said:
I don't have all the details in front of me, but my memory tells me there were now actually any mechanical faults with the AN aircraft, but the problem was around the documentation of the maintenance processes, and the 767 aircraft were grounded until the paperwork process could be shown to match the work undertaken.
And I remember making a SYD-PER return trip not long after AN's demise aboard one of their 767's operated by QF. They had the tail painted white and only put the QF name at the front. Some of the crew were even AN - one was wearing a small AN badge and when I asked what the deal was, she advised that the aircraft was being provided to QF via "AN leasing".
 

StevePER

AFF Supporter
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
1,136
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
NM said:
And I remember making a SYD-PER return trip not long after AN's demise aboard one of their 767's operated by QF. They had the tail painted white and only put the QF name at the front. Some of the crew were even AN - one was wearing a small AN badge and when I asked what the deal was, she advised that the aircraft was being provided to QF via "AN leasing".
Was this when they had "Operated by AWOPS" on the boarding pass, or was that something else?

Steve
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,647
Flights
My Map
StevePER said:
Yada Yada said:
NM said:
And I remember making a SYD-PER return trip not long after AN's demise aboard one of their 767's operated by QF. They had the tail painted white and only put the QF name at the front. Some of the crew were even AN - one was wearing a small AN badge and when I asked what the deal was, she advised that the aircraft was being provided to QF via "AN leasing".
Was this when they had "Operated by AWOPS" on the boarding pass, or was that something else?

Steve
I remember it as "operated by AWAS". It was a white tail, and while everyone looked Qantas, the safety demonstration was not a Qantas one.
 

StevePER

AFF Supporter
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
1,136
Flights
My Map
oz_mark said:
I remember it as "operated by AWAS". It was a white tail, and while everyone looked Qantas, the safety demonstration was not a Qantas one.
Google finds matches for both AWOPS and AWAS. Does anyone know what they mean?

Steve
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,207
Messages
1,871,993
Members
49,041
Latest member
pton1310
Top