AMEX Velocity Platinum: 100,000 bonus; increased earn rate of 1.5 ppd; ends 31 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctore1003

AMEX has launched a 100k bonus points offer for its Velocity Platinum card and increased the earn rate for general spending to 1.5 points per dollar (previously 1 ppd).

AMEX has also streamlined the points earning categories, and retained the extra 1 ppd for Virgin Australia bookings.

The return domestic flight is still there but gone is the previous perk for discounted business class companion fares.

There's also a slight increase in the annual fee, to $375.

More here: http://thehighlifetravel.com.au/american-express-velocity-platinum-card/

Re: AMEX Velocity Platinum: 100,000 bonus; increased earn rate of 1.5 ppd; ends 31 Ju

AMEX has launched a 100k bonus points offer for its Velocity Platinum card and increased the earn rate for general spending to 1.5 points per dollar (previously 1 ppd).

AMEX has also streamlined the points earning categories, and retained the extra 1 ppd for Virgin Australia bookings.

The return domestic flight is still there but gone is the previous perk for discounted business class companion fares.

There's also a slight increase in the annual fee, to $375.

More here: Get a huge 100,000 Velocity Points with the AMEX Velocity Platinum card - The High Life

Looks good if you are likely to use that domestic flight.
Are there any bonus referral points for this one?

Re: AMEX Velocity Platinum: 100,000 bonus; increased earn rate of 1.5 ppd; ends 31 Ju

As expected. Its now in line with the Qantas Ultimate at 1.5 point per dollar. There is now no reason at all to hold any big 4 bank issued credit card for regular points earning purposes unless there is a juicy sign up on offer (e.g. ANZ 75k QFF).

AMEX cards should now come direct from AMEX, and there are many 1 qantas or 1 velocity point per dollar cards for VISA/MasterCard out there as well, albeit most are capped but given most spend goes on AMEX, and the premium AMEX cards aren't capped, this should not be too much of a problem.

Looks good if you are likely to use that domestic flight.
Are there any bonus referral points for this one?

Not sure. The last couple of Amex offers haven't had an extra bonus for referrals.

Decent revamp although id probably still prefer the explorer for an additional $20 a year with an effective VFF earn/transfer rate of 1.725 (with 15% transfer bonuses) and $400 to spend more widely on travel, not just a selection virgin economy flights.

Not sure what i'd value the 2 x virgin lounge passes at. Didn't even use them last time i held this card.

Only for new Amex card holders.

Not sure. The last couple of Amex offers haven't had an extra bonus for referrals.

The referral has changed this time. Now the offer stays the same (100,000 points) but the guy who refers will receive 30,000 points... make it much harder for referring as it's no longer win-win even though Amex still throw 30,000 points in total (in the last offer the applicant received 10,000 points and the referrer got 20,000 points). I guess the 30,000 points is attractive enough that some guys will try very hard to spread the words about the offer for Amex, but likely people will go to the official Amex webiste for the actual application.

Anyone have any recent experiences on how strict are Amex on the bonus points for existing Amex card holders (or those who had one within the last 12 months)?

Only for new Amex card holders.

Hi, total noob question here (this is my first post!) but as an existing Amex holder (with Westpac) I know I’m ineligible for this card. However, would my husband be eligible as he isn’t the primary card holder for the Westpac card?

The bonus points seems worth signing up for, and the domestic flight per year wouldn’t hurt. Is it worth getting just for that? Maybe cancel it after a year or so?

I have FF accounts with Velocity and KF and am saving points with the hope I can get business class upgrade to Europe in a couple of years. In saying that, I again re-iterate I’m a complete noob so I am not sure whether that is a goal worth aspiring towards or if there’s a better way to use points.

Hi, total noob question here (this is my first post!) but as an existing Amex holder (with Westpac) I know I’m ineligible for this card. However, would my husband be eligible as he isn’t the primary card holder for the Westpac card?

You are both eligible to apply. Only people who hold AMEX cards issued by American Express Australia are ineligible. Bank-issued AMEX cardholders are eligible. Don't forget you can also pool Velocity points with family members.

Thanks Doc! Yes, we're set up for family pooling already.

Anyone have any recent experiences on how strict are Amex on the bonus points for existing Amex card holders (or those who had one within the last 12 months)?

Amex are becoming increasingly strict on this. Since their latest system update, there are very few people who have received the bonus points when they haven't been eligible according to the offer T&C's.

If you have held a Velocity Platinum card within the last 18 months I'd say your chances are very very close to zero.

I'm super keen to hear other peoples experience getting the bonus points on this one. I closed an AMEX Velocity Platinum at the end of Jan 2016, so I'll only be able to apply right at the end of the offer. However I've held a couple of other AMEX cards in between on different rewards programs.

So I'm dying to know if they're enforcing the exclusion only on cards of the same rewards programs as it seemed to be previously, or more generally across any AMEX card? I guess my question is simply this - is the jig finally up???

I'm super keen to hear other peoples experience getting the bonus points on this one. I closed an AMEX Velocity Platinum at the end of Jan 2016, so I'll only be able to apply right at the end of the offer. However I've held a couple of other AMEX cards in between on different rewards programs.

So I'm dying to know if they're enforcing the exclusion only on cards of the same rewards programs as it seemed to be previously, or more generally across any AMEX card? I guess my question is simply this - is the jig finally up???

Generally those who have applied and received signup points on the explorer (gateway) then went on to apply for the platinum edge (accent) post January have not received signup points on the edge. However velocity being a direct earn card may be treated differently but i doubt it.

Generally those who have applied and received signup points on the explorer (gateway) then went on to apply for the platinum edge (accent) post January have not received signup points on the edge. However velocity being a direct earn card may be treated differently but i doubt it.

Yes I had heard there was a change in Jan that affected some people but haven't really stayed across it. I did get the Explorer and then the QF Ultimate in early Jan receiving the bonus' on both. Sounds like I may've been lucky and got in before changes were made.

Still I would highly recommend this current promotion to anyone that is eligible. 2 years ago a similar offer was on the table. Both my partner and I jumped on it and did very well out of it. Essentially for the combined $700 annual fee we paid on that offer we both flew business class on the Etihad A380 AUH-Mel on the way home from a European trip and also had a return flight from Melbourne to Gold Coast with lounge entry at both ends for a long weekend away.

I've had a lot of cards over the last few years but this is always the one I look back on as having gotten the most out of. Perhaps its just that we used the benefits right away rather than banking them into a pool for later but its great deal in my opinion. Get on it if you can!

I have few questions here.

I currently hold a David Jones Amex platinum card, a bank issued Amex card and standard Green Amex card that my company I work for make me use for corporate expenses which has the company name on it, but also my name on it. Other posts have pointed out the bank issued Amex card is not an issue, but the other two I'm not so sure on.

- I understand you can only hold 2 Amex issued cards. Does the 2 cards I mentioned above (DJ and corporate Amex) count towards that 2 Amex - I thought I read the DJ may be exempt like the Bank issued Amex cards, and I have no idea on the corporate card? If they both were counted, I could close the DJ card no problem.
- Assuming I had to close the DJ card to get this card, would I be ineligible for the 100k points bonus having (18 month rule) or is the DJ card not counted on this?

Thanks in advance.

Actually I just did what I should have done rather than asking the question(s) on her - ring up Amex direct.

So for the benefit of others who may be interested in the answers to the questions I posed.
- The Corporate card and the DJ card do not count towards the 2 amex cards. In fact the 2 amex cards is not entirely correct either I understand, credit limits come into it (I didn't bother devling further for the mechanics once I had my answer to my specific question).
- I'm also eligible for the 100k points as the 2 cards are not counted as part of the Amex issued cards. He said there are 3 types (well 4 actually) sections, (1) DJ cards, (2) Corporate cards, (3) Amex cards such as this one, Explorer etc. and (4) Bank issued Amex cards. So the terms only relate to cards in the 3rd category listed.

I'm another curious one - not for me, but for the wife.

She had the QF AMEX which was cancelled around Jan this year. No other AMEX cards in her name.

I would be willing to try if I anyone else has had success post changes in January, the application can be in her married name (previous card was in maiden name) but address and drivers license would remain the same as previous application.

The 100K velocity points would suit us well for our plans next year, just not sure if I'm game to pull the trigger yet.

I applied for the Explorer around April and having previously held a Amex in the past 12 months, I did not end up getting the bonus points.

Bonus points posted directly after reaching the treshold. Just need to wait for the monthly transfer to Velocity.

Bonus points posted directly after reaching the treshold. Just need to wait for the monthly transfer to Velocity.

Can you elaborate what you mean here? How does it work once you reach the spend threshold - are the points not instantly transferred to Velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back