Amex Traveller's cheques fee for chasing USD in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassDogg

So I have a bit of a weird one here so bear with me. About 15/20 years ago, my father went on a trip to America and purchased some travellers cheques. He ended up not using all the cheques and had $750 USD left over. He has held on to them this whole time.

I am about to travel and he would like to give me the money before I go to the US - amazing gift. I'll have to get them exchanged before I leave as they obviously need to be signed by my father.

However, I have looked into how to exchange these - the major banks change the cheques at a rate of approximately $7 per cheque. Unfortunately I have 12 cheques (3x$100 9x$50) so that will come to a total of $84.

I know I can go to the American Express Currency Exchange stores (there is one about 30 mins away from me at a post office) but I cant find any information about the cost of cashing there. I have tried to call the store, but I just get put through to the Australia post general line. Or if I try to call the Amex line, I get through to their international line which isn't very helpful.

Does anyone know how much the American Express Currency Exchange stores charge to cash Amex travellers cheques into USD in Australia?

I am not complaining, I know my father is giving me a wonderful gift, I just want to maximise what I can get, along with not having to drag my dad out of work for an hour to cash the cheques if he can just do it at his local bank?

Thanks team!

Matt

I always thought there was no charge to exchange AMEX travellers cheques at AMX locations.

I just called commbank again, because on their website it says '$8 per currency' not 'per cheque', which they confirmed. Given TC's are not used much, it's understandable that the call Centre agent I originally spoke to got it wrong.

I am happy to pay the $8 for the convenience of not having to drive for an hour.

I still am going to check with Amex about the fee/no fee they have.

Wow, I was wondering who still used these. Can't believe he still has them! Good luck getting them changed, hopefully it's just the $8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back