Amex Travel Credit - covid implication

NoName

Established Member
Thanks. Sounds as it may no longer be possible to use the 2nd years travel credit and cancel before the annual fee is charged. I think I will just cancel and get on to the next churn.

Chicken

Established Member
Thanks. Sounds as it may no longer be possible to use the 2nd years travel credit and cancel before the annual fee is charged. I think I will just cancel and get on to the next churn.
The think is, my 'previous' travel credit was removed, and converted by AmEx into a $200 statement credit for Hardly Normal and AmEx travel (just like everyone else), so this could have 'broken' the normal cycle.

NoName

Established Member

Well 1 day later and the year 2 travel credit shows up. Thankfully I noticed before my planned cancellation call later this morning. Obviously I will use it and then cancel.

shamolly

Got $400 travel credit with Amex Explorer that I need to use up.

On chat a few days ago I was told by Amex that if I book a flight for which the airline only allows refunds in the form of airline travel credit, then I could spend $400 using the Amex travel credit, cancel the flight, and then while I would have lost the $400 Amex credit I'd still have the $400 airline travel credit. It follows also that I should spend as much of the $400 as possible on the flight, since I'll forfeit anything I don't spend.

Does anyone else know whether this is correct, or have any experience with it? Though I saved the chat, I've had some issues with incorrect advice from Amex before.

This isn't a great outcome but would let me at least salvage something from the credit.

Last edited:

get me outta here

Qantas
LT Silver
I would like to know the answer too. Also, if needing to be cancelled would it be converted to any sort of credit. Presumedly not, even if it was a refundable booking.

does anyone know if the qf ultimate credit can be used for a hotel booking? i remember reading something to that effect sometime ago.

VPS

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Got $400 travel credit with Amex Explorer that I need to use up.

On chat a few days ago I was told by Amex that if I book a flight for which the airline only allows refunds in the form of airline travel credit, then I could spend $400 using the Amex travel credit, cancel the flight, and then while I would have lost the $400 Amex credit I'd still have the $400 airline travel credit. It follows also that I should spend as much of the $400 as possible on the flight, since I'll forfeit anything I don't spend.

Does anyone else know whether this is correct, or have any experience with it? Though I saved the chat, I've had some issues with incorrect advice from Amex before.

This isn't a great outcome but would let me at least salvage something from the credit.
I booked a fully flexible fare to be safe and then cancelled it - got the refund in the form of a travel credit from Qantas until end of December 2023 so I'm OK with that

kpc

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
FYI....I booked a fully refundable hotel late last year using an expiring $200 travel credit and a few extra dollars. I cancelled the booking by ringing Amex today and they told me I'll get the dollars back and the $200 travel credit valid for another 12 months :) ...and got an email confirning this as well :)