AMEX SPG Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmat777

Intern
Qantas
Platinum
Re: The great points transfer to AAdvantage

While staying at a Four Points in LA I flicked to the SPG channel (I know that is really sad but ....) They advertised a SPG Amex which gives 1 SPG point per $. If you take into effect the 25% bonus for transfers of 20,000 points, thats 1.25 per $1.

The advantage here is that my current AMEX states that the conversion to SPG (so I can transfer to AAdvantage) is 1 Amex to 0.333 SPG. So changing AMEX cards seems to be a way to get 3 times the AA points.

Anyone got this card and are my assuptions right?

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/Starwood-Amex-should-hotel.html?id=14763&page=1

Matt.

madmat777 said:
The advantage here is that my current AMEX states that the conversion to SPG (so I can transfer to AAdvantage) is 1 Amex to 0.333 SPG. So changing AMEX cards seems to be a way to get 3 times the AA points.

Your assumptions look correct and that it would seem to give ( using the 25% bonus on 20k ) 1.25 AA miles per USD spent however it would require you to be eligable for a US credit card

Dave

Indeed eligibility (as noted by Dave Noble) will be an issue for anyone who is not a US resident and has a US credit history. Just having a credit history with Amex in Australia will not mean you are eligible for this US-based product.

madmat777 said:

Unless I am mistaken you need a US social security number to apply for this card. So unless you are US citizen this card is not your saviour.

Thanks all,

I was afraid that would be the case. I'll keep it in mind when we set up an office in the US.

Matt.

madmat777 said:
Thanks all,

I was afraid that would be the case. I'll keep it in mind when we set up an office in the US.

Matt.
Even that probably won't help. A Brittish friend of mine who is now a US resident and married to a US citizen, who has a significant income, owns a large property, and had many years of excellent credit reference in the UK, could not obtain any US-based credit card due to his lack of US credot history. He had to get a Visa debit card and run that for 12 months then BoA would finally give him a $500 credit limit that would would have to maintain for the next 12 months before being able to slowly climb up the credit limit scale.

He could not even get a Corporate Diners card, even though he had held one for 5+ years in the UK while working for the same company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back