AMEX Rewards Maximiser or new QF Premium card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicky

i am looking at getting my first rewards card and after investigation, i have narrowed it down to 2 amex cards.

in your opinion, is it worth getting the new QF premium card (annual card fee $195) over the rewards maximiser as they are giving away 5,000 points? or should i disregard this as i'd earn more points with the RM card per dollar spent (as well as cheaper card fee p.a)?

i probably spend about $15,000 per year on my card if this helps.

would appreciate any comments. thanks.

From my own perspective I think the AMEX rewards maximiser card is a better option. I don't recall if AMEX is still ofering the first years free, but after the first year the $144 it is debited to your account at $12 per month. The RM card also allows you to transfer points to a number of partners, not just QF.

Having said that, I don't have any experience with the AMEX QF card, but I understand you receive bonus points when booking flights etc with QF. However, I further understand that use of the premium card to earn the bonus points is restricted solely to QF.

Although other will correct me if I am wrong, it wold appear both cards offer 1.5:1 earning ratio per $ spent, but the RM card allows you to transfer points to other partners.

I would go for the Maximiser in this case. The Qantas card offers a couple of insurance type benefits, and if these were valuable to you it may tilt the decision in that direction. If these have no value to you, go the Maximiser.

ok i have ruled out the new QF option.

the westpac gold altitude card also seems to be a good option. they are offering 10,000 bonus altitude points plus 3 points for every $1 (until 30 sept 06). would you choose this over the amex gold rewards maximiser?

nicky said:
the westpac gold altitude card also seems to be a good option. they are offering 10,000 bonus altitude points plus 3 points for every $1 (until 30 sept 06). would you choose this over the amex gold rewards maximiser?

Yes absolutely on that new westpac deal!!

Also keep in mind the type of purchases you are likely to make and what you would like to get from it. 15-30k points a year is probably best put towards a non-QF scheme if you're not flying a whole bunch.

Keep in mind that 2 Westpac points = 1 QFF point. So on the Westpac Gold Altitude card you get 1.5 QFF points per dollar, like the rewards maximiser.

Given that both cards are Amex, and both have the same earn rate, there's no real advantage for either from a points earning perspective, at least until september. After that the rewards maximiser will be a better earning card, because the westpac card will be back to 1 QFF point per dollar spent.

The other reason I'd go with the rewards maximiser is because it's serviced by Amex themselves, as opposed to the Westpac card which is serviced by Westpac. I've had very good experience with Amex service compared to others.

in your opinion, is it worth getting the new QF premium card (annual card fee $195) over the rewards maximiser as they are giving away 5,000 points?

Definitely not, The Rewards Maximiser has no annual fee for the first year which is a saving of $144 and 5000 reward points are not worth $144.

or should i disregard this as i'd earn more points with the RM card per dollar spent (as well as cheaper card fee p.a)?

Yes, The Rewards maximiser earns 1.5 reward points per $ spend and currrently has no annual fee for the first year, a saving of $144.

Sheriff

This comparison may have changed somewhat on latest SMH offer of first year free for QF Amex Card and Premium Amex Card (NOT Ultimate) of free membership for first year.

Would suggest the free points may shade the extra .25 pts per km for low-mid range users (or just order then cancel soon after).

Can only be accessed by phone 1 300 651 313.

Note only valid until May 31st!

AMEX Rewards Maximiser is the best FF card and I have/had almost every FF card made.

Biggest reason is 1.5 to 1 with NO CAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back