Amex Rewards Maximiser annual charge

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by jamesg, Sep 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jamesg

jamesg Newbie

Sep 5, 2005
    Has anyone been able to obtain a discount on the Reward Maximiser annual charge?
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. wleong

wleong Intern

Jan 26, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I took one out last year under the 1st year for free via the web. When the 12 months was up a month ago, I contacted AMEX seeking an extension and the best offer to was a $50- Myer gift voucher. I subsequently closed the account and reopened a new account three weeks later using the link below. Now I have the AMEX Rewards account for another 12 months.

Here's the link http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/campaigns/rewardsmaximiser/morepoints/default.shtml

:wink:

3. danielh

danielh Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Well after double points with diners card over a period of 13 consecutive months I can't seem to get them to give me double again. :)

I've just applied for the AmEx Gold Rewards Maximiser card so hopefully I'll get it soon as I currently have expenses of about $10,000 a month and hate to think I'm wasting potential bonus points with my 1:1 Diners Card.

It's a pity I didn't enrol earlier and get the 3000 bonus points but i couldn't justify to myself getting a card back in MAY that gave me < then what my diners card did for me with 2:1 points.

Regards
    Daniel

4. albatross710

albatross710 Established Member

May 15, 2004
    Brisbane
    Web application

Hi,

I applied for the Rewards Maximiser via the Amex Website says first year free. Not surprising then that my first statement has the $12 monthly charge.

So far two calls to Mumbai haven't solved the problem - but the website is black and white and I've printed the page for my records.

Any punt son how many billing cycles this will go on for?

Cheers

5. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Re: Web application

Lots.

Good luck :!:

6. Sheriff

Sheriff Member

May 22, 2005
    AMEX Rewards Maximiser

Hi gilkatho01,

I applied for the Rewards Maximiser via the same website promotion in May and wasn’t charged any monthly fee.

It’s an error probably arising from staff incompetence because the card arrives attached to a document titled ‘The Benefits of Membership”. On the reverse side of the document there is a summary of your financial information- credit limit, annual percentage rate, minimum payment and credit card fees and charges. Under credit card fees and charges it states that the annual fee for the first year is $NIL and for each subsequent year $144 p.a. However, BEWARE it also says that under this contract, all the information may be changed without your consent.

When you call Mumbai just tell them you received the card attached to a document containing the conditions of your contract, which states that for the first year the annual fee is $NIL. If that doesn’t work just cancel the card and re-apply.

Good Luck!

Regards,
    Sheriff

7. albatross710

albatross710 Established Member

May 15, 2004
    Brisbane
    A liittle too neat

OK, call me cynical but since posting my earlier post this morning I have received a snail mail from Amex saying they are sorry that the charge is appearing each month, there was a problem in the way they have set up the card.

Unfortunately they are unable to fix the problem and will process a credit each month for the balance of the first year.

I'm cynical because I can't work out how they have managed to post me a letter and get it delivered to Brisbane same day!!!

8. little_moody_angel

little_moody_angel Junior Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Sydney
    Annual charge

Hey... I'm a sales agent for AMEX... and they can do all sorts of goodwill gestures... eg:crediting your account with the $200 interest charge. I also know a friend of mine called to cancel the card due to disatisfaction and high annual fee and so the customer service rep waived that year's annual fee.

BTW... $144 annual fee is pretty good when ur getting 1.5 points per dollar.. this can mean savings of thousands of dollars!!

moody angel

9. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Look out, little_moody_angel....you might have a hundred new friends from AFF ... :wink: :lol:

10. ozstamps

ozstamps Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Sunny Sydney
    Hmmmm.

No downside to doing this that anyone can see?

Did you transfer all points first or ask them to merge them with new account?

11. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The only downside I can see is that you end up with another application for credit on your Baycorp reference. Not necessarily bad unless you do it a lot. Once a year should not affect too much I would think.

And of course you are sans-CC for a week or two.

12. QFTravel

QFTravel Intern

Nov 3, 2004

My first statement received last week also has the $12 monthly charge on it. I've just hung up on Mumbai (after waiting 35 minutes for a consultant) to be told that they would credit my account $144 and that the $12 would appear each month... :shock: :shock:

13. little_moody_angel

Sep 27, 2005
    Sydney

Hey guys... question... why do your calls go to Mumbai??. Mine doesn't.. what number are you calling?

The moody angel

14. QFTravel

QFTravel Intern

Nov 3, 2004
    Customer Service: 1300 363 687

Then again, I assume thats where I'm calling based on the thick Indian accent on the end of the line.

15. little_moody_angel

Sep 27, 2005
    Sydney
    hope this helps!!

Hey guys here are some numbers they give us at work. When I've called re my card I've never gone to Mumbai... best of luck!! BTW: following is for personal cards only

Emergency services:
    For Lost or Stolen Cards
    24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    1300 132 639
    + 61 2 9271 8664

Manage your American Express Card account online.
    1300 732 235

Personal Card Enquiries
    1300 132 639
    + 61 2 9271 8664

Customer Service Business Hours:
    8am - 7pm Sydney Time, 7 days

Correspondence and Feedback
    GPO Box 1582
    Sydney NSW 2001

Personal Card Payments
    GPO Box 4344
    Sydney NSW 2001

Line Of Credit Payments
    GPO Box 3945
    Sydney NSW 2001

Platinum Services
    1800 673 760
    + 61 2 9271 8628

Centurion Services
    1800 231 889
    + 61 2 9271 8455

Travel Advantage Online Bookings
    Business hours:

9am - 5pm Sydney Time, Mon-Fri

Credit Card Enquiries
    Blue Credit Card

1300 365 399
    + 61 2 9271 8645

Gold Credit Card
    1300 366 105
    + 61 2 9271 8655

16. QFTravel

QFTravel Intern

Nov 3, 2004
    Thanks for the contact numbers little_moody_angel :)

17. little_moody_angel

Sep 27, 2005
    Sydney
    My pleasure ... just let me know if that took u to India!!

the moody angel

18. Sheriff

Sheriff Member

May 22, 2005

Yes

Amex gladly waived the annual fee due this month for my Rewards Maximiser upon request. :)

Cheers

19. Sn00py

Sn00py Junior Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Brisbane / Gold Coast
    Nice work!

Would anyone have the Amex Rewards Maximizer & Gold Charge card combo that got a fee waiver for both? or Pay for the Amex Rewards Maximizer and get the Charge card for free?

20. beardoc

beardoc Established Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Sydney, NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Is there any benefit in having both?