AMEX platinum. Just ask for one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo

I just had an interesting phone conversation with the lovely ladies at AMEX platinum. I just called up to ask what the requirements were to be invited to Platinum were, and she looked up my details and offered me Platinum there and then!! I was amazed, as I´d herad rumours that you had to have an average annual spend of $60 000 etc, whereas my annual spend is around 20-30K.

Has anyone had any experience with the ¨buy one, get one free¨ business and first flights? That seems like a great deal to me, worth the $900 p.a. just for that!!

STOP PRESS: I just checked the website concerning the above benefit, and it would seem that the benefit has been watered down somewhat. Very limited routes, limited carriers(only OW carrier is CX to HK).

So is the card really worth $900 p.a. to anyone? I´d love to hear your thoughts on the topic if you´ve had the experience of having AMEX platinum.

Sam

did you already have an AMEX card to be offered the platinum card?

I'm starting to wonder if the SPEND on your cc has anything to do with being offered better cards, higher limits etc..

For the last 7 months, consistantly I've put through over $20k/month on my westpac gold ($7k limit mind you), so im always going to the bank to throw more cash on it... when i call up to get a limit increase.. declined!
like wtf?

maybe the upgrade gods were on your side that day sambo? :)

I did already have an AMEX, the Gold credit card(not the charge card). I´ve had it since August 2002, and my total points earned since then is around 30 000, so my total spend for the period would be around $30 000, which averages just over $1000/ month. I´ve always paid it off in full on time, which I assume helps your status in their eyes. I started off with a $5000 limit, and every 6 months they sent me a pre-approved limit increase form, and all I had to do was sign and return it. After my limit was raised to $9000, I started throwing away the limit increase forms. AMEX have been very good to me, if only they were more widely accepted, they would be the perfect card. The other cool thing about my gold card is that there is $0 annual fee if I spend more than $2500 p.a. The only thing I pay for is the $59 membership rewards fee.

I have heard rumours that with the introduction of the new AMEX Centurion card, they are madly sending out Invitations for Platinum membership, to fill the spots of those upgrading to Centurion. I guess that´s why they offered me Platinum. :D

Good luck with your Westpac credit limit increase. I cant beleive they would decline you given how much you spend!! The only thing I can think of, is that most card issuers wont up your credit limit within the first 6 months of having the card.

Good luck again,

Sam.

nice work with the amex platinum!
is it really $900/year?

i called to cancel my anz gold today.. got the free year, $300 credit, and a limit increase..

It sure is $900 per year. A lot to pay, I know. But from what I can gather, it´ś the only card to give you year round travel insurance, regardless of the duration of your travel. This alone is worth around $600 to me, so I figure its only really gonna cost me $300 per year. It also gives you extended warranties on good purchased with the card. Other than that, its not really any different to my Gold card.

By the way, the AMEX centurion, should you be invited to get one, will set you back a cool $2900 per year. Thats not a typo, $2900.00. Amazing.

Good luck with those card naz_s at the ´pac.

Sam

sambo said:
It sure is $900 per year. A lot to pay, I know. But from what I can gather, it´ś

I have as little idea of what this means as the next person. I´m running Linux at the moment, and it periodicallly does something whacky. I guess this is just Linux expressing itself. :wink:

Sam

sambo said:
sambo said:
It sure is $900 per year. A lot to pay, I know. But from what I can gather, it´ś

I have as little idea of what this means as the next person. I´m running Linux at the moment, and it periodicallly does something whacky. I guess this is just Linux expressing itself. :wink:

Sam

it might have made more sense if HTML was enabled on your post;)

is the travel insurance proper insurance? im still skeptical about relying on westpac/citibank insurance, even though it does say unlimited medical..

one of my US partners has an amex black and pays some ungodly fee for it.. after he told me the benefitis im like..WOW...
last christmas he was running short of time with buying gifts.. he forogt about his g/f.. called amex and they arranged an "appropriate gift", boxed, ribbon and delivered it with flowers as well

keep striving! you'll reach centiurun one day ;)

d00t said:
i called to cancel my anz gold today.. got the free year, $300 credit, and a limit increase..

Sorry, I dont quite follow. You called up to cancel your ANZ gold, and to keep your business they gave you a free year(no annual fee), $300 credit and a credit limit increase? If this is the case, then thats fantastic. Good work.

As for the AMEX Platinum insurance, from what I understand, it is proper insurance, although medical is limited to $1 000 000 (AU$ I assume). Also, while other card insurance will only cover you for trips less than 90 days duration, AMEX plat covers you regardless of trip duration( I think this is true. Somebody please correct me if Im wrong). This is particularly important to me, and it is this feature which I´m using to convince myself that $900 is not too much to pay for an annual fee. :wink:

Sam.[/code]

sambo said:
As for the AMEX Platinum insurance, from what I understand, it is proper insurance, although medical is limited to $1 000 000 (AU$ I assume). Also, while other card insurance will only cover you for trips less than 90 days duration, AMEX plat covers you regardless of trip duration( I think this is true. Somebody please correct me if Im wrong). This is particularly important to me, and it is this feature which I´m using to convince myself that $900 is not too much to pay for an annual fee. :wink:
Sam.[/code]

Mate, save the cash.

Some of my bretheren have taken up the Plat offer, and all have regretted it - no real value in the card at all. I'm even dubious about the benefits of my gold charge card, when you can spend just as much on the green card, for a lower annual fee.

Buy the QF executive travel insurance annual package, around $500 and better than the offering with Amex Plat. The "2 for 1" J deal only applies to limited airlines, one of my neighbours is a BA naz_ and he had to go Emirates or somesuch to take advantage of that offer.

If you want a Platinum card to flash about, get the Citibank visa/ mastercard - spend limit anywhere from $20K upwards, good benefits (HHonours Gold, etc), and not too stiff on the fees.

Thanks for that Shillard. I'm very glad you said what you did, as I was going to sign up tomorrow for AMEX plat. Now I'm not so sure.

As for the insurance you mentioned, I checked it out, and it wont cover trips of greater duration than 90 days. I really need cover year round, regardless of duration.

You are talking about the insurance listed on the QF webpage right?

I found this condition:

"The Annual policy will only provide cover for a maximum of 90 days for any one trip."

Thanks again,
Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back