Amex links with Velocity

Status
Not open for further replies.

codash1099

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Quote from American Express Announcement:

"American Express® Membership Rewards has joined forces with Velocity, the loyalty program partnered by Virgin Blue, to bring you an exciting new way to redeem your Membership Rewards points.

"Now, you can redeem your points for Velocity Points and use them to fly with Virgin Blue, Australia's award-winning new-world airline, to 22 destinations across Australia, as well as with Velocity's international airline partners^. "

Points value is 1 for 1.

Oooo, this is exciting. Min transfer of 2000 points.

And transfer before 31 Aug to get 10% bonus.

Last edited:
But why would you waste your points in such a way?.....

straitman said:
Some people MIGHT be desperate to fly DJ :rolleyes:
Are these people directly related to the same people who are desperate enough to fly JQ across the tasman. :shock: :p :oops:

JohnK said:
Are these people directly related to the same people who are desperate enough to fly JQ across the tasman. :shock: :p :oops:

Ouch :oops: Got me. :shock:

May well be a one and only :!:

clifford said:
But why would you waste your points in such a way?.....

Umm... depends on how the points are valued I guess... Those points calcs are giving me a headache.

I just did a quick check:

DJ 8 Dec, 6am MEL to BNE: $139 inclusive
If using Velocity points, the same flight costs 10700 points + $39 taxes.

Travelkey gets you $100 for every 12000 points.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Hi there

Might be a good idea to stick some AMEX points into Velocity.

With the US inaugurals coming up next year, could get some cheap flights:rolleyes:

Cheers
DJ737

kyle said:
Umm... depends on how the points are valued I guess... Those points calcs are giving me a headache.

I just did a quick check:

DJ 8 Dec, 6am MEL to BNE: $139 inclusive
If using Velocity points, the same flight costs 10700 points + $39 taxes.

Travelkey gets you $100 for every 12000 points.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
so for $11 more ($150.00)you can fly the red rat & get breakfast and coffee a video of some description or listen to the various music channel etc .or use standard QFFFpoints 12,000 +$39 taxes etc (or when on disc at 10Kpts or less every other few weeks on the members special page of the web site)vs DJ and get "smiles are free".Samples of 1 are always misleading but in this instance why would you bother travelling DJ ..keep yr "new world carrier" stuff...thats marketing rubbish .Tiger will cause DJ LOTS of problems

By comparison I spent 10000 QF points on a $900 upgrade MEL - PER today.

Much better value I believe at 9c per point. :D :cool:

Standby said:
on the members special page of the web site)vs DJ and get "smiles are free".

Reminds me of the old joke.. "I tried to pay my tax bill with a smile.. but they insisted on cash!"

Good news really.....just another choice available.

As to previous posts asking why one would convert their points to Velocity.
Similarly, why would you convert them to QF to fly somewhere like Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Hobart, Hamilton Island or Launceston where all there is available is Jetstar and anyone under Platinum cant get on the one and only daily QF flight that exists.

I think it's the spoilt higher tier passengers who dont like Virgin Blue.
I am yet to meet a Platinum frequent flyer who pays for all their own travel out fo their own pocket. Some of us with our own business cannot justify paying 8 times the airfare to fly business class for just 20min SYD-CBR

JASON

jad01 said:
I am yet to meet a Platinum frequent flyer who pays for all their own travel out fo their own pocket.
My travel is fully self funded. You just need to be on the look out for, and take advantage of, bargain airfares from full service carriers.

jad01 said:
I think it's the spoilt higher tier passengers who dont like Virgin Blue.
I am yet to meet a Platinum frequent flyer who pays for all their own travel out fo their own pocket.

I don't mind Virgin Blue, although, I am a >95% self funded Qantas Plat. My entire qualification SC (1400/1200) earns are private. Some of my >1400/1200 earn is from my employer, and a little is earnt from tax deductible trips. I suppose that makes me a real quandary :D

The thing with Velocity is that I think you can then use these points on other international airlines such as Malaysian, Emirates, Virgin Atlantic etc.

I'm not sure how much these other airlines fine passengers.... anyone done the sums to see if this is a viable points transfer route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back