Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.

I forgot to mention

I pressed the agent on details as to whether the dining credit would be extended into 2027 or if there were any other things potentially in the pipeline, but no dice.
 
Just rang up to downgrade my personal plat charge -> gold charge, rattled off some reasons why value has gotten worse for me, and said unless there’s some sort of offer to stick around, I’d like to proceed with the downgrade. Got offered 40k points on the spot. Last year I tried this I got nothing.

Spend profile: ~100k charged over the last 12 months. Decent overseas spend (ballpark 20k on hotels etc). Was iffy on the 40k points being enough, but since I get plenty of value through FHR I decided I’d stick it out another year.View attachment 524794
Fingers crossed for me. My Plat Charge is up for renewal end of this month and with the serious erosions (and me being able to get a supplementary card from a family member now), I'm really in 2 minds as to whether or not to keep it. If I manage to get a half way decent retention bonus would probably sway me.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top