AMEX Gold Charge Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchy123

Hello All - One thing I noticed is that there is little to no discussion on the AMEX Gold Charge card. I admit its a bit of an inbetweener.....

I have this card as a backup, though I am considering making it my main card when my Citi Plat visa is due for renewal soon. I will just get a no fee visa as a backup for non-AMEX acceptors.

The main reasons I am considering this are

1. Better service with AMEX
2. Call centres are fluent English speaking Australians (don’t want that one to sound bad, but when I call up, I like to speak to someone I can relate to)
3. Annual fee is lower

Naturally there are some drawbacks with AMEX Gold Charge (acceptance, surcharges, no QFF transfer, I expect a lower credit limit). Nevertheless, after some painful experiences with disputing a couple of transactions on my citi card (both of which were fraudulent taxi charges), I am happy to pay extra for the customer service and peace of mind.

Disputing a charge with AMEX was such a simple and pleasant experience, and was sorted within a few days. One of the aforementioned disputes I raised with Citi took 6 months of hassling. Not really sure what is going on with Citibank these days.

After all of that, I am wondering if anyone uses Gold Charge card as their main card - and if there are any good/bad experiences? Does anyone have any other suggestions for customer service focussed cards?

Cheers

always wondered, are Charge Cards for business users only, or can plebs like me get them instead of the credit versions?
Some of the terms/points seem better than the credit versions.

No, definately not. Any individual, with the right credit criteria - which is doesnt seem any stricter than regular credit card criteria, can get get a charge card.

There are, however, some corporate and business specific charge cards that AMEX and others issue.

Cheers

Naturally there are some drawbacks with AMEX Gold Charge (acceptance, surcharges, no QFF transfer,

You can still have QFF transfer.
If you pay $80 a year more you can enrol in Accent rewards which allows qantas direct sweep.

QFF transfer is quite poor anyway, I want to dump my QFF card and get a good MR one

You can still have QFF transfer.
If you pay $80 a year more you can enrol in Accent rewards which allows qantas direct sweep.

I think you mean Ascent? On the Gold Charge card, I dont think you can transfer to QFF. I think you can with the Platinum Charge in that rewards program however

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.....

I think you mean Ascent? On the Gold Charge card, I dont think you can transfer to QFF. I think you can with the Platinum Charge in that rewards program however

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.....

You are correct. Ascent allows you to transfer points to other airline partners, such as VS, SQ etc, but not QF.

I have a Gold Charge, but don't use it as my main card. I use the Amex Ultimate for majority of spending with points going to QF, but use Gold Charge for some things and this allows me to keep a balance of points that can be transferred to other airlines if and when needed. I like the flexibility this offers, not having all the points in the one pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back