amex card and transfering by 31/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsonstrish

Qantas
Platinum
I am a bit confused re. requesting to change to amex with automatic t/fer of pts. to QF by from 1/4.

As my Amex card was one that would no longer give me the option of transferring to QF post 31/3, I responded to the information sent to change to option of card t'ferring automatically to QF.

I rang Sydney Amex recently just checking that I would have this option from 1/4 and was told yes and that I would keep my current card.

Bit confused after reading some of the posts here. Just checking with the experts here that this is correct.

Once again many thanks.

Depends on your card type.
As I see it Amex has 4 reward programs ;
The basic CHOICE around $40 pa no transfer to FF programs
ASCENT around $80 pa transfer to FF programs excl Qantas
QANTAS DIRECT around $80 pa all points to QFF
ASCENT PREMIUM $?? allowing you the choice of any rewards incl QFF.
I think Ascent Premium is on the Platinum cards & on the new Amex Rewards Advantage Card

I have ascent. It was originally an RACQ gold card which last yr. stopped being connected to RACQ and just Amex. I am aware this will no longer t'fer to QF post 31/3. I applied to have the qf direct amex c.c. last yr.

I thought I would need another amex c.c. but phone call to sydney amex advised i would keep my current card and my pts. would automatically t'fer to QF post 31/3. Is this correct?
cheers

Don't know specifically about the RACQ card, but that is certainly the stated position for co-branded cards such as this. You choose whether to stay in the rewards program or opt for QFF direct.

Sounds like they have just changed your rewards program from ascent to qantas direct (same dollar) . I think this service was offered to your type of amex c.c. . I was offered this for a professional card. But to maintain flexibility you have to be in the ascent premium which they would not give me on my current gold Credit card

Out of principle I am ditching my current amex gold card (held since the 80's).
They want you to APPLY for a new card (and then the old card will be automatically canecelled!) And the actual benefits of the new rewards card are not clearly stated. (e.g. Will I reliquish my espress cash benefit)
Why bother, when they could easily offer Ascent Premium (even at a small additional fee). Arrogance to the max!!!!! And there is not even an upgrade discount or offer for the Plat card which seems to offer the previously available Qantas ff transfers.
BAD MARKETING AMERICAN EXPRESS.
How many "members" agree?

In some ways, I feel bad for Amex and other card issuers in Australia. While we don't know the full conditions that Qantas has imposed and the various costs, I really havn't seen any one of them jumping for joy at the regime Qantas is implementing.

The good thing out of Qantas and their move is that companies like Amex appear to be signing up more competing FF schemes onto their books.

Plus of course I suspect a certain red rat will be scurrying later this year to try and save face but re-open crediting in certain ways.

Have just received in mail my new amex rewards advantage card ( upgrade of gold charge card ) and yes it is platinum in color but not price - extra $40. Ascent Premium rewards attached so have linked my old gold amex credit card to this so can still generate 100s of Ks of flexible points - no annual limit. Also the Ks of points I had in Ascent with the old card were transferred over to Ascent Premium - so didn't have to use them - bonus for me.
To maintain flexibility with points I will be giving these cards a flogging at the expense of other cards linked to QFF whenever I can.
If anyone uses an Amex Charge Card look or ask for an upgrade. It was worth it for me.

Out of principle I am ditching my current amex gold card (held since the 80's).
They want you to APPLY for a new card (and then the old card will be automatically canecelled!) And the actual benefits of the new rewards card are not clearly stated. (e.g. Will I reliquish my espress cash benefit)
Why bother, when they could easily offer Ascent Premium (even at a small additional fee). Arrogance to the max!!!!! And there is not even an upgrade discount or offer for the Plat card which seems to offer the previously available Qantas ff transfers.
BAD MARKETING AMERICAN EXPRESS.
How many "members" agree?

Without any knowledge of the agreement between Amex and Qantas it is impossible to know. Qantas have clearly gone down the path of requiring that personal card holders be on a direct earn program. The existence of Ascent premium may itself come with conditions that we don'tknow of (limits to numbers etc)

If arrogance is on display here, it is Qantas that is being arrogant and the card issuers are just going with what is being enforced on them.

I'm also in the same boat trying to work out what to do!

I have a personal amex (annual fee free and ascent fee free) and a coporate amex (linked to personal amex ascent).

Both have different offers:
Personal: remain with ascent or go to QF direct
Corporate: remain with ascent or go to Spirit

But I was reading the revised T&Cs for MR and there is reference in a fee schedule on the back page which states as such 'Transfer fee for Corporate Cards to transfer between Ascent and Spirit' Fee = 0...

I'm wondering if you can actually do this, in which case you can have the best of both worlds if you are in the same situation. Keep corporate on Spirit - use for QF if you want or flick them across to a personal card on ascent and use for other airlines.....

Called Amex but not open... will try tomorrow....

Called Amex but not open... will try tomorrow....

Have you called them back? What was the outcome? I am in the same boat with a amex gold fee free card and fee free ascent program and trying to work out what to do?:confused:

I'm not applying again after 25 years of big spend every month on my charge card.

Spoke to AX guy in their complaints area and he admitted, past history means nothing when applying for a 'new' QF FF card with Amex.

I will just switch cards with a couple of banks. I used to laugh comparing the banks against Amex, now it's the other way around.

Depends on your card type.
As I see it Amex has 4 reward programs ;
The basic CHOICE around $40 pa no transfer to FF programs
ASCENT around $80 pa transfer to FF programs excl Qantas
QANTAS DIRECT around $80 pa all points to QFF
ASCENT PREMIUM $?? allowing you the choice of any rewards incl QFF.
I think Ascent Premium is on the Platinum cards & on the new Amex Rewards Advantage Card

You left one out. I forget what it's called, but I think it's "Spirit"?

Basically, gives you access to QFF, SPG, HHonors, and a few other programs. Effectively all the travel programs you've always had, minus any non-QF airlines.

By far the best option for me, as I transfer all my points to either SPG, HHonors or QF as needed. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: This is on a standard (Green) corporate card.

I have Spirit on a "Gold" Qantas / Amex business charge card.

(Provides a 2% rebate on BHKDJICFP class spend with Qantas of over $20K per year).

But I was reading the revised T&Cs for MR and there is reference in a fee schedule on the back page which states as such 'Transfer fee for Corporate Cards to transfer between Ascent and Spirit' Fee = 0...

I'm wondering if you can actually do this, in which case you can have the best of both worlds if you are in the same situation. Keep corporate on Spirit - use for QF if you want or flick them across to a personal card on ascent and use for other airlines...

The only issue would be paying the $89/year fee (or whatever) for Spirit.

If you have an existing Ascent account, you can link your corp card to that. But if then want a Spirit account, you'll need to pay for that (assuming you don't have a pre-existing Spirit account you can link to).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users

Back