AMEX - cancellation before first annual fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy789

My mate has received brand new AMEX Explorer card.
The bonus points for meeting the spend requirement have landed, and the $400 travel voucher is also present.
The annual fee doesn't yet appear on the account, and may not appear for another few weeks.
Does anyone know: Will the annual fee will still be payable if he moves the points out, spends the travel voucher and seeks to close the account?
Is it an 18-month waiting period for new cards?

Many thanks!

The bonus points for meeting the spend requirement have landed, and the $400 travel voucher is also present.
The annual fee doesn't yet appear on the account, and may not appear for another few weeks.
Does anyone know: Will the annual fee will still be payable if he moves the points out, spends the travel voucher and seeks to close the account?

Many thanks!

The annual fee gets charged in the first billing cycle, and your 'mate' will be liable for the annual fee. No such thing as a free lunch...

Many thanks!

Generally, you will have 1 month from the billing date of the annual fee to cancel for you/mate to get the full fee back, provided that the travel credit is not consumed.

Not sure about the bonus points.

you can get the points and avoid the fee if you are fast enough to transfer out, but not the travel voucher.

Hi I have an amex explorer and my annual fee is not due until Dec-18. However I already received the new travel credit, used the old travel credit earlier this year. If I use the new travel credit right now and cancel the card this month, will I get charged for the annual fee?

One of my relatives about 12 months ago. Signed up. Got bonus. Didn't use travel and cancelled and was never charged the fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back