_TheTraveller_

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Gold
Oneworld
Emerald
Hi Everyone. Does anyone have any experience with applying for a Amex business card as a sole trader? My personal income is >75K but my revenue is quite low as it's a new venture. What kind of information does amex look for in this situation?

Based on a conversation with their business team, it seems like they look mainly at your personal income for a business card as a base rather than your gross revenue.

Hope this helps someone! I couldn't justify the benefits of an amex business card over personal so I won't be proceeding.

Based on a conversation with their business team, it seems like they look mainly at your personal income for a business card as a base rather than your gross revenue.

Hope this helps someone! I couldn't justify the benefits of an amex business card over personal so I won't be proceeding.
A similar question was asked a few months ago but yeah, the advantage of AMEX is you’re responsible. When I started my own company (as a Pty Ltd) AMEX worked whereas the decent points earning CC providers wanted 3 or more years of company history. Pretty hard when just starting out. I’m pretty happy with the AMEX Small Biz card.

But as a Sole Trader, it probably doesn’t make a huge difference using whatever personal CCs you have - just keep good records?

I applied as a sole trader with no issue, approved on the spot. Card has not arrived.

As best I can tell, it looks like a business/QBR branded card, but you earn QFF points to your personal account.
Currently there's a 160k bonus with Champagne Mile vs 150k on the public site.

The comparable personal card is the Ultimate with a 75k bonus, same $450 annual fee/$450 travel credit but slightly higher earn on QF services (2.25 per dollar on Ultimate vs 2 per dollar on the business card).

If you are beyond your 18 month waiting period, getting the business card is a no brainer. Not to mention no limit and triple business points for flying for your business (the value might be variable depending on your QBR membership level).

Can confirm that the points go to your QBR account, not personal.
The bonus credited in the first statement cycle.

Is that this card (or something very similar)?

Mine‘s a QF AMEX Business CC and the points just go over to my QFF account.
I recently had this card and they went to my Qantas Business Rewards account.

Got the 160k deal with $0 fee too. And also got 20k more for being a first time QBR user. Simple application, got the points quickly, easiest card I have done. And for the record I have $0 income on my ABN, it has been dormant for some time.

If you are beyond your 18 month waiting period,
This is where I lose ... loving the AMEX QF Ultimate Personal CC ... and I'm very close to starting my own small business and have got some expenses to do ... because I hold a personal AMEX I won't qualify for the 160K QF points ... :( I wish AMEX saw personal & business cards as separate entities, so that it's easy to earn sign on bonuses

Is that this card (or something very similar)?

Mine‘s a QF AMEX Business CC and the points just go over to my QFF account.
Yes, that's the one. Which one is yours?

Do you mean you have one of the 3 MR cards, then transfer MR -> QFF?

Got the 160k deal with $0 fee too. And also got 20k more for being a first time QBR user. Simple application, got the points quickly, easiest card I have done. And for the record I have $0 income on my ABN, it has been dormant for some time.
How did you get it with $0 fee? Do you mean the $450 credit "cancelled out" the $450 annual fee?

How did you get it with $0 fee? Do you mean the $450 credit "cancelled out" the $450 annual fee?
They had a promotion on with zero fee. Not referring to flight credit offsetting the fee. I signed up back in March I think it was. Couldnt believe the offer but it was true. Unfortunately that isnt the current deal.

They had a promotion on with zero fee. Not referring to flight credit offsetting the fee. I signed up back in March I think it was. Couldnt believe the offer but it was true. Unfortunately that isnt the current deal.
Oh, now I vaguely remember seeing something of the sort but because I was in my 18 month waiting period, couldn't apply.
Did you get a $450 flight credit as well as $0 annual fee?

I've had the QBR card for about 2 years now and it's worked well for us. The accessline service for paying suppliers who don't take it is good. I was able to get it despite only being a PTY LTD company for a few months before (had been a sole trader for a year prior) and it was a godsend for cashflow in the early days.

Even when the business hit some hard times due to a bunch of events all happening at once, they were quite helpful and we got onto a payment plan and got it all sorted. I've now got 1.1 million completely useless QFF points, however

Oh, now I vaguely remember seeing something of the sort but because I was in my 18 month waiting period, couldn't apply.
Did you get a $450 flight credit as well as $0 annual fee?
No flight credit just fee free. Easiest points I ever earned on this one.

No, mine‘s not listed. It would be a QF equivalent of the VA Biz card shown but only $160 pa (no lounges passes but not needed).

Looks like they’re pushing people towards the QBR card - but I wouldn't pay $450 pa. The MR cards could be useful, but can you transfer to QFF?

Like others, I already had a personal AMEX so wasn’t eligible for a signup bonus offer from AMEX. At the time WBC had a good CC sign up offer, but I didn’t have 3 yrs trading history.

Hmm, last time I looked into the AMEX business cards, the ABN had to be registered for GST. Is that no longer the case (or are you just registered for GST but dormant)?

Hmm, last time I looked into the AMEX business cards, the ABN had to be registered for GST. Is that no longer the case (or are you just registered for GST but dormant)?
I literally registered for GST the day before applying. They literally didn’t ask me for one piece of documentation to support my application was bizzare.

No, mine‘s not listed. It would be a QF equivalent of the VA Biz card shown but only $160 pa (no lounges passes but not needed).

Looks like they’re pushing people towards the QBR card - but I wouldn't pay $450 pa. The MR cards could be useful, but can you transfer to QFF?

Like others, I already had a personal AMEX so wasn’t eligible for a signup bonus offer from AMEX. At the time WBC had a good CC sign up offer, but I didn’t have 3 yrs trading history.
Sounds like an old/discontinued card - when did you sign up for it?
I literally registered for GST the day before applying. They literally didn’t ask me for one piece of documentation to support my application was bizzare.
I called before applying to ask what documents were required. The call centre operator strongly implied that they did not ask for documentation, just reinforced that you need to put down a minimum of 75k annual business revenue 😂

Sounds like an old/discontinued card - when did you sign up for it?

I called before applying to ask what documents were required. The call centre operator strongly implied that they did not ask for documentation, just reinforced that you need to put down a minimum of 75k annual business revenue 😂
I put zero business revenue and also put down my salary in the personal income part. Approved no worries. Actually somewhat concerning how easy it was to get this card hah.

This is where I lose ... loving the AMEX QF Ultimate Personal CC ... and I'm very close to starting my own small business and have got some expenses to do ... because I hold a personal AMEX I won't qualify for the 160K QF points ... :( I wish AMEX saw personal & business cards as separate entities, so that it's easy to earn sign on bonuses

Can anyone (@DrGear?) confirm this is an issue when applying as a Pty Ltd? My dad's starting a new business venture, but holds a personal card currently - the business will be set up as a small company, so I was going to recommend this card

Can anyone (@DrGear?) confirm this is an issue when applying as a Pty Ltd? My dad's starting a new business venture, but holds a personal card currently - the business will be set up as a small company, so I was going to recommend this card
Yes. 99.9% sure because the card is in your name and linked to your existing account(s).

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back