AMEX awards dont award!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wills

AMEX release a catalog about giving % off diners at certain restaurants. I know in Melbourne that the restaurants do not actually give the discounts that are adertised in the amex catalog! One very good example is bluefire grill. As well as not giving the discount promised, they can give serious ingnorance to service! Dont bother even going to peir 35 or following Amex suggestions! Our waiter was too busy doing the books rather than serving us! We would have got better service at smorgies in geelong!

I'm assuming you're referring to the Selects program?

Used it a few times in QLD. You have to prompt them, otherwise no discount.

I think it's individual cases.

I use the Select program and I like to go to the bluefins at Darling Harbour Sydney, and even they are listed in Select, I always ask "if" they have 15% for AmEx, and they always give it to me.

I also got discount at Centerpoint Sydney.

So I think you just went to a dodgy restaurant??? :shock:

Most times I have to remind them about the discount, and sometimes I even take a print out from the Amex website, or the catalog.

Seems like Amex have much better and many more "Select" deals at restuarants and hotels in Asian countries than Australia. Perhaps the Australian merchants are more sensitive to the the higher merchant fees.

I haven't tried, but I assume any Amex cardholder, not just local Amex cardholders can get the discount.

That is one benefit I love about HSBC Credit Card's "Home and Away" program.

mileagemax said:
I haven't tried, but I assume any Amex cardholder, not just local Amex cardholders can get the discount.
Yes, any cardholder can get discount. I have seen many places in Bangkok that offer discount , off food bill only, for using Amex. Normally I don't like using credit cards whilst overseas but I did take advantage of the 15% discount many times in an 'English' pub in Bangkok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back