AMEX awards dont award!

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by Wills, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Wills

Wills Newbie

Aug 20, 2006
    AMEX release a catalog about giving % off diners at certain restaurants. I know in Melbourne that the restaurants do not actually give the discounts that are adertised in the amex catalog! One very good example is bluefire grill. As well as not giving the discount promised, they can give serious ingnorance to service! Dont bother even going to peir 35 or following Amex suggestions! Our waiter was too busy doing the books rather than serving us! We would have got better service at smorgies in geelong!

2. kyle

kyle Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    MEL
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Selects program?

Used it a few times in QLD. You have to prompt them, otherwise no discount.

3. Chicken

Chicken Active Member

May 9, 2006
    Sydney
    I think it's individual cases.

I use the Select program and I like to go to the bluefins at Darling Harbour Sydney, and even they are listed in Select, I always ask "if" they have 15% for AmEx, and they always give it to me.

I also got discount at Centerpoint Sydney.

So I think you just went to a dodgy restaurant??? :shock:

4. mileagemax

mileagemax Intern

May 11, 2006
    Most times I have to remind them about the discount, and sometimes I even take a print out from the Amex website, or the catalog.

Seems like Amex have much better and many more "Select" deals at restuarants and hotels in Asian countries than Australia. Perhaps the Australian merchants are more sensitive to the the higher merchant fees.

I haven't tried, but I assume any Amex cardholder, not just local Amex cardholders can get the discount.

That is one benefit I love about HSBC Credit Card's "Home and Away" program.

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Yes, any cardholder can get discount. I have seen many places in Bangkok that offer discount , off food bill only, for using Amex. Normally I don't like using credit cards whilst overseas but I did take advantage of the 15% discount many times in an 'English' pub in Bangkok.