Amex Amex Amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherratt76

Hi everyone,

I know this is a common request, however promotions and deals change all the time. My annual fee is coming up on my Amex Credit Card and I am not too wrapped that I can utilise only Virgin services now. As mentioned in several threads people have had promotions with bonus points, or even subsidised annual fees (like $250 on the Ultimate Card instead of $450). I called Amex and they weren't budging on any deals or any reduced annual fees.

Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of great offers? Does it actually take you to cancel the card and speak to the last ditch people in retentions to score a better deal?

Cheers

Welcome to AFF :D

Anecdotes seem to indicate the cards with the inbuilt 'free' flight/hotel night are difficult ones to get the annual fee waived/reduced.

Call to request to cancel the card, you will transferred to the relevant area.

They are the most empowered to do something for you. They fall under Marketing rather than Customer Service.

Welcome to AFF :D

Anecdotes seem to indicate the cards with the inbuilt 'free' flight/hotel night are difficult ones to get the annual fee waived/reduced.

I believe published rate for the Amex Plat with flight/hotel is $395 and most have successfully fot it to $295 (either via corporate deal or direct negotiation).

It is very difficult to get it waived.

I rang to cancel last year, and was offered 12 months no fee, still maintaining 'free' flight. This took a few internal (Amex) transfers, as the first person was just happy to cancel. I asked to speak to someone else and as yohy?! notes, you really do need to get through to the right area! Not sure if it depends how long you've been a member, and your annual spend ... but I was happy to continue for a further year at no cost!

Have now just received the 'targeted' offer to transfer from Plat to Qantas/Amex Ultimate card - which offers the 1.5 pts/$1 spent, 'free' flight, reduced cost for first year (half price) plus 5K bonus points after first spend.

Good luck ... and keep persevering!

I rang to cancel last year, and was offered 12 months no fee, still maintaining 'free' flight. This took a few internal (Amex) transfers, as the first person was just happy to cancel. I asked to speak to someone else and as yohy?! notes, you really do need to get through to the right area! Not sure if it depends how long you've been a member, and your annual spend ... but I was happy to continue for a further year at no cost!

Have now just received the 'targeted' offer to transfer from Plat to Qantas/Amex Ultimate card - which offers the 1.5 pts/$1 spent, 'free' flight, reduced cost for first year (half price) plus 5K bonus points after first spend.

Yes it totally depends on your spend (normally monthly), this enables the agent to give you varying degrees of incentives to try to retain you. Well done in getting what you wanted.

I got it waived a few months back, CPA Platinum Credit card with the free flight so the annual fee was $295. Was pretty straight forward and just had to listen to the marketing guy give me 2 minute spiel on all the benefits of the card that justified the fee they normally charge.

I too have just received an offer from Amex to transfer to the Ultimate card with free flight for $192 for the first year and then $395 each year after which I already pay for my Platinum CC.

I have collected 160,00 Membership Rewards points since April 2009 but they are going nowhere and I can't transfer them to QFF. My MasterCard is linked to my QFF and have been using it heaps to increase my QFF points balance - approaching 500,000 points.

As I renewed my Platinum CC in February and haven't used the flight/hotel stay I have written to ask if I am due for 2 flights this year. As yet haven't got a response.

In the past when I have complained about the $395 cost of the Platinum CC Amex have given me a $100 voucher to stay with them (on three occasions). At 1.5 points per dollar, plus 5000 points first spend plus 2500 for first Qantas services spend it looks like the Ultimate card is the way to go.

Speaking of Amex offers just got a targeted offer for the Plat Charge Card, with a bonus 75,000 points for $5k spend.
Definitely considering (even with the $900) spend.
Interestingly was no mention of PriorityPass or SPG Gold availability on the marketing material.

Unsure on the marketing database used as it was somewhat misaddressed.

Sent to
Mr MOA999
xx yyyy St
rather than the zz/xx yyyy St (I live in an apartment building) that most of my mail is addressed to.

Speaking of Amex offers just got a targeted offer for the Plat Charge Card, with a bonus 75,000 points for $5k spend.
Definitely considering (even with the $900) spend.
Interestingly was no mention of PriorityPass or SPG Gold availability on the marketing material.

Unsure on the marketing database used as it was somewhat misaddressed.

Sent to
Mr MOA999
xx yyyy St
rather than the zz/xx yyyy St (I live in an apartment building) that most of my mail is addressed to.

I have often considered the Platinum Charge Card - years ago had the Gold Charge Card.

The problem here is that the Director of Domestic Affairs here (Read that as wife AKA Boss) will not let me spend $900 on a card fee!

There are lots of other benefits with it and we travel overseas at least once, sometimes twice a year.

So far she is standing firm. To buy 20,00 points from Qantas costs $557.50 so 75K is a good deal.

I had a EA platinum card and cancelled it and reverted back to the gold card and got my annual fee refunded. I wonder how long you have if you cancel a card to reactivate it without having to reapply? Also if i reactivate it does that mean ill have another 1 year free use before the annual fee is charged or will it be charged at time of reactivation?

I have often considered the Platinum Charge Card - years ago had the Gold Charge Card.

The problem here is that the Director of Domestic Affairs here (Read that as wife AKA Boss) will not let me spend $900 on a card fee!

There are lots of other benefits with it and we travel overseas at least once, sometimes twice a year.

So far she is standing firm. To buy 20,00 points from Qantas costs $557.50 so 75K is a good deal.
geoffs,

Look up the thread titled Platinum Card, what will i get for $900.

The ammunition you need is pretty much all in that thread.

I had a EA platinum card and cancelled it and reverted back to the gold card and got my annual fee refunded. I wonder how long you have if you cancel a card to reactivate it without having to reapply? Also if i reactivate it does that mean ill have another 1 year free use before the annual fee is charged or will it be charged at time of reactivation?
I would be extremely surprised if you got away without having to pay the annual fee as part of the reactivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back