American Express Platinum

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by oceanboy, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanboy

oceanboy Newbie

Mar 21, 2004
    melbourne, australia
    Hi all

I have recently received an invitation from American Express to go Platinum. The material sent with the invitation I feel was lacking in detail about card benefits, and the website doesn't seem to shed much more light on things.

Just wondering what people's experience has been with the Platinum card in Australia in terms of service and benefits including Membership Rewards.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Does it stack up against other offerings or might it be time to look at Citibank or Commonwealth Platinum?

Although, it's almost worth the $900 so I don't have to talk to India anymore...

--
    ob

2. netaddict

netaddict Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I have been a AMEX platinum card member for about 6 months now, the best decision ever made I think to accept it.

The details included with the invitation I'll admit are limited however I believe there designed more to highlight the benefits of the card.

The basic benefits of the card are:
    - Australian based customer service for everything 24/7 via a 1800 number.
    - Personalised Travel service with various hotel and travel benefits.
    - Complimentry enrollement in Ascent Mebership awards.
    - Personal Concierge servce for everything from a helping hand with organising flowers to what to do when you have a day spare on say a business trip.
    - Fine dining program, best to contact them for details.
    - Platinum events and experiences, details are on the web.
    - Free supplementry cards.
    - Buyers adanvante and express cash facilities.
    - Platinum reserve line of credit.
    - Roadside and home assistance (eg, free call out of a plumber if needed)

The service I have received on each contact has been nothing but excellent. If the information I needed, no matter how small it is, they would always offer to call me back and they do get back to you.

From the research I have done it's far better then CBA or Citibank in the respect you deal with one centre for everything that is AU based.

Drop them a call if you have any further questions, good way to test out the service.

Cheers,
    Dylan

3. CdaWorld

CdaWorld Junior Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Sydney
    I find my Platinum AMEX quite useful especially the free supplementary cards and the additional card to separate business/personal expenses.

But I'm starting to wish that there were more benefits that I could take advantage of. I wonder if there are further unpublished benefits.

I did recently receive a Gold Hilton HHonours card which I assume was for my Platinum membership - did any of you other AMEX card holders get one too?

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have Amex Gold Maximiser Credit Card and did not receive anything from Hilton Honors. But then again, I have been HH Diamond for the last 4 years, so they may not consider me worth targeting with a HH Gold card.

Enjoy the HH Gold benefits. They vary somewhat between hotels. Some have small exec lounges and reserve them for Diamond only (eg Paddington Hilton in London). But you should still get free continental breakfast, room upgrades when available etc.

I have been very weel looked after at most Hilton properties as a Diamond. The notable exception is the Grace hotel in Sydney that has been the defacto pseudo-Hilton while the real one is refurbised.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Member

Jan 29, 2005
    American Express offers refunds for Platinum Cardmembers

Hi there,

This is from the ACCC website regarding AMEX platinum,

Your question about the $900 fee is very valid and the above should be self evident as to the value of the product

6. CDS59

CDS59 Guest

AMEX Platinum

I've held an American Express Platinum card for four years now, and believe it provides great value, especially the 1.5 points per dollar spend.

However, what I like best is the outstanding service that I always receive when I contact AMEX.

The insurance benefits that come with the card have to be worth more than the $900 annual membership fee.

7. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The Gold HH card seemed to be for a few plat members - I don't know if it was everyone, or just some but a mate received one.

Visa Plat used to have an offer of free Gold HH for a year with your plat card, but unfortunately it's not being offered any more...

8. mick

mick Member

Apr 12, 2005
    I'm only a lowly Amex Gold Charge/Credit and Corporate cardholder and I also recently received the complimentary Gold Hilton HHonors card, which I gladly activated. So, it ain't just for you privileged Plats! :)

9. MetroAir

MetroAir Guest

I used to have an AMEX platinum until a year ago (then went Centurion).

I got a lot of use from the benefits- travel, entertainment bookings, points.

I think some of the benefits have changed in the past year, Centurion gets many of them (and others).

In travel insurance benefit alone I think I found the $900 worth it, depends on if you think the benefits outweigh the costs.

At present the $2800 Centurion cost is still outweighed by the benefits I use.

Cheers

10. rick.rgc

rick.rgc Newbie

Sep 4, 2008
    Shropshire UK
    From my experience of the Australian team, I would use any other card. They put the less in customer care.

11. AnonymousCoward

AnonymousCoward Established Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Sydney, Singapore
    A three year old thread is revived today, with a comment lacking in detail. A fly-by-night posting?

12. docjames

docjames Senior Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    New member has two posts, both highly critical of Amex Platinum.

4 year old thread, time for padlock??