American Express Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanboy

Hi all

I have recently received an invitation from American Express to go Platinum. The material sent with the invitation I feel was lacking in detail about card benefits, and the website doesn't seem to shed much more light on things.

Just wondering what people's experience has been with the Platinum card in Australia in terms of service and benefits including Membership Rewards.

Does it stack up against other offerings or might it be time to look at Citibank or Commonwealth Platinum?

Although, it's almost worth the $900 so I don't have to talk to India anymore...

--
ob

I have been a AMEX platinum card member for about 6 months now, the best decision ever made I think to accept it.

The details included with the invitation I'll admit are limited however I believe there designed more to highlight the benefits of the card.

The basic benefits of the card are:
- Australian based customer service for everything 24/7 via a 1800 number.
- Personalised Travel service with various hotel and travel benefits.
- Complimentry enrollement in Ascent Mebership awards.
- Personal Concierge servce for everything from a helping hand with organising flowers to what to do when you have a day spare on say a business trip.
- Fine dining program, best to contact them for details.
- Platinum events and experiences, details are on the web.
- Free supplementry cards.
- Buyers adanvante and express cash facilities.
- Platinum reserve line of credit.
- Roadside and home assistance (eg, free call out of a plumber if needed)

The service I have received on each contact has been nothing but excellent. If the information I needed, no matter how small it is, they would always offer to call me back and they do get back to you.

From the research I have done it's far better then CBA or Citibank in the respect you deal with one centre for everything that is AU based.

Drop them a call if you have any further questions, good way to test out the service.

Cheers,
Dylan

I find my Platinum AMEX quite useful especially the free supplementary cards and the additional card to separate business/personal expenses.

But I'm starting to wish that there were more benefits that I could take advantage of. I wonder if there are further unpublished benefits.

I did recently receive a Gold Hilton HHonours card which I assume was for my Platinum membership - did any of you other AMEX card holders get one too?

CdaWorld said:
I did recently receive a Gold Hilton HHonours card which I assume was for my Platinum membership - did any of you other AMEX card holders get one too?
I have Amex Gold Maximiser Credit Card and did not receive anything from Hilton Honors. But then again, I have been HH Diamond for the last 4 years, so they may not consider me worth targeting with a HH Gold card.

Enjoy the HH Gold benefits. They vary somewhat between hotels. Some have small exec lounges and reserve them for Diamond only (eg Paddington Hilton in London). But you should still get free continental breakfast, room upgrades when available etc.

I have been very weel looked after at most Hilton properties as a Diamond. The notable exception is the Grace hotel in Sydney that has been the defacto pseudo-Hilton while the real one is refurbised.

American Express offers refunds for Platinum Cardmembers

Hi there,

This is from the ACCC website regarding AMEX platinum,

American Express offers refunds for Platinum Cardmembers

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has accepted court enforceable undertakings from American Express regarding the advertising of its International Airline Program (IAP) for Platinum Cardmembers.

Since its introduction in 1998 and until its revision in September 2003, American Express's IAP was advertised by American Express as entitling Platinum Cardmembers to purchase a specially negotiated ticket for first or business class air travel on a participating airline and receive a free, complimentary or bonus companion ticket entitling a second person to accompany the cardmember on that trip.

The ACCC received complaints from cardmembers who found that they were able to purchase comparable air travel tickets in the open market at a price that suggested that the companion ticket offer was not free.

While in many cases the purchase of air travel tickets through American Express's IAP resulted in some savings for cardmembers over the price of buying two comparable tickets for air travel from outlets available to the general public, the offer could not in all cases be said to be truly free, bonus or complimentary.

"Businesses need to be careful when they use absolute terms in their advertising", ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel, warned. "An offer of free, complimentary or bonus goods or services means exactly that, and businesses need to exercise caution when making absolute claims of this nature".

In response to the ACCC's concerns and complaints by some Platinum Cardmembers, American Express will write to those who may have been misled and offer:

a refund of up to one year's Platinum Card membership fee or
an amount of 10 per cent of the cost of the first fare purchased under the IAP, depending upon individual circumstances.
The ACCC acknowledges American Express's co-operative approach in resolving this matter.

American Express Media Contact: Luisa Megale (02) 9271 2070

Media inquiries
Mr Graeme Samuel, Canberra, Chairman, (02) 6243 1129
Ms Lin Enright, Director, Public Relations, (02) 6243 1108, (0414) 613 520
Release # MR 144/04
Issued: 4th August 2004

Your question about the $900 fee is very valid and the above should be self evident as to the value of the product

AMEX Platinum

I've held an American Express Platinum card for four years now, and believe it provides great value, especially the 1.5 points per dollar spend.

However, what I like best is the outstanding service that I always receive when I contact AMEX.

The insurance benefits that come with the card have to be worth more than the $900 annual membership fee.

The Gold HH card seemed to be for a few plat members - I don't know if it was everyone, or just some but a mate received one.

Visa Plat used to have an offer of free Gold HH for a year with your plat card, but unfortunately it's not being offered any more...

CdaWorld said:

I'm only a lowly Amex Gold Charge/Credit and Corporate cardholder and I also recently received the complimentary Gold Hilton HHonors card, which I gladly activated. So, it ain't just for you privileged Plats! :)

I used to have an AMEX platinum until a year ago (then went Centurion).

I got a lot of use from the benefits- travel, entertainment bookings, points.

I think some of the benefits have changed in the past year, Centurion gets many of them (and others).

In travel insurance benefit alone I think I found the $900 worth it, depends on if you think the benefits outweigh the costs.

At present the $2800 Centurion cost is still outweighed by the benefits I use.

Cheers

From my experience of the Australian team, I would use any other card. They put the less in customer care.

A three year old thread is revived today, with a comment lacking in detail. A fly-by-night posting?

New member has two posts, both highly critical of Amex Platinum.

4 year old thread, time for padlock??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back