American Express bought me a Choc Top!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz

I don't know if this incident deserves its own thread, but I thought it was pretty unique...

I just went to the cinema this evening and paid with my American Express Charge Card at the Hoyts Box Office. As I handed the card over, the attendant said "Since you are paying with your American Express...", and I started to think, great now Hoyts are doing a surcharge, she continued "... you will be receiving a complimentary Choc Top!" She then handed over a voucher which read "Thanks for walking the red carpet and using your American Express. Present this voucher at the Candybar for your free Choc Top."

A nice surprise, and clever marketing I thought. I was expecting a surcharge statement and instead got a present (and the ticket only cost $9). :D

This promo has been advertised on the Amex website front page via a rotating banner for about a week or so now.

But now I actually look for it, I can't find the advert.

Always nice to get a little bonus!

Did you book online to get this offer? Or will just showing up and buying on the spot work as well?

Hoyts: Buy Online said:
Please note: you must be the holder of the credit card that you purchase tickets with. You must bring that card to the box office to pick up tickets.
Please bring your confirmation number of a print out of your confirmation email just in case.
Tickets must be purchased more than 1 hour before the listed session time.
If one is not automatically given a voucher when collecting one's tickets, one should ask for one.

SeaWolf said:
Did you book online to get this offer? Or will just showing up and buying on the spot work as well?
I didn't book online at all. I turned up directly at the box office and received the offer when I purchased the ticket.

Great! I'll have to remember to pay with AMEX next time I go to Hoyts.

Why do I always find out about these things just before they stop? :p
Guess I'll just have to rush out and see more movies. ;)

Haha, for the movie. I wish I'd known last night when I went and saw "Ghost Rider".
Good movie, BTW.

And filmed in Australia (can't comment on quality of movie as have not seen it)

Parts of it are certainly recognisable as Melbourne and you can see the odd Aus company logo on a tower here and there. There's also a very distinctive scene showing the Southbank Footbridge. There's also a couple of scenes that are clearly Aus farmland/bush. Kinda funny since it's supposedly set in Texas. Kinda twarts the illusion when you can go "I've been there!" :p
Still, great movie if you're into the Marvel style comic book movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back