Altitude Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v

Earlier this week, Westpac launched the Altitude Platinum card (http://www.westpac.com.au/platinum).

The card has extensive insurance cover - international travel up to six months and purchase cover up to 120 days.

There is a special of four points per dollar spent on the Amex until the end of September (redeem for QF points at the rate of 2 Altitude:1 QF), and like the other Altitude accounts comes with a Mastercard (1 Altitude point per dollar spent) and the Amex. The earn rate on the Amex reverts to 3 points per dollar at the end of September.

Card fee is $295, local concierge and customer service 24/7.

I requested an upgrade on Tuesday night and the account is already set up and the card is on its way. I'm thinking this account will replace my Amex Amex.

--
3v

I certainly would consider it as a replacement for my Citibank Platinum card :)

oz_mark said:
I certainly would consider it as a replacement for my Citibank Platinum card :)

Why would you consider it as a replacement? You only earn the equivalent of 0.5 Qantas Points per $ spent on the Mastercard...

The Amex will only earn you 2.0 Qantas Points per $ until September, then reverts back to 1.5 Qantas points per $... No real advantage from the AMEX Platinum Charge or Credit, the AMEX Qantas Ultimate, or the AMEX Rewards Maximiser.

Not having carried out any research on this card, but it looks like Westpac are offering a better earn rate for a short period, and then it reverts to the same earn rate at the Amex Rewards Maximiser card, and the RM card is cheaper.

The insurance cover may benefit some pax, but the special deal of four points per dollar spent on the Amex until the end of September, redeemable for QF points at the rate of 2 Altitude:1 QF, means that it is still a ratio of 2:1. It would appear the Mastercard earn rate is at a ratio of 1 Altitude point per dollar spend.

Then, the earn rate on the Amex card reverts to 3 points per dollar at the end of September suggesting that it will be the same as the Amex RM earn rate of 1.5:1 QF. The cost of the Amex RM is $195 after the first year free, and the Westpac card is $295. I am sure those in the know will correct me if I am wrong.

PaulZ just got in before me on this one with a similar view.

Because I currently have a Citibank Platinum and Altitude Gold card. As Citibank have wound back things, I have found myself using my Altitude card more and more.

While the earning of QFF points is a factor in which card I use, it is not the only or deciding factor. Also, I don't typically convert my points from Citibank or Westpac to QFF.

3y, when you get a chance could you give me some detail of the entre program (http://www.entre.com/altitudeplatinum/#). Some of the offers sound interesting e.g. Hilton Hotels Exclusive savings on Premium Club membership, as well as some others. I can't really tell much from the site though - looks like you need an account to get much detail

Entre

Entre offers some deals similar to the Amex Selects program but golf deals, and a couple of hotel offers. Also, 15 months membership of the Hilton Premium Club for the price of 12.

--
3v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back