aloft...new hotel brand from Starwood

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by QF WP, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    I recently received the following email from Starwood:

There was a password embedded link for a survey that I completed, which gave pictures of what their decor would look like (and wanted my opinion as to how I felt about the ambiance), as well as ideas on check-in/out, dining and gym options. Would appear hat they are looking to position consoles to speed up check-in and -out (similar to airline ones that give seat assignment and those in some USA-based Sheratons). The overall vibe that I got was it is to be positioned as a mid (cost) resort style, family friendly.

Has anybody else heard of aloft and participated in their market research (knowing that it's more likely that they will appear in USA first and then into Asia/Pacific).

2. snufl

snufl Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I haven't received anything about this from Starwood. But you do seem to get a lot of emails I don't. That's why I rely on you to keep me up to date. :)

3. BiziBB

BiziBB Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Sydney's bushy north

Do you think you were randomly e-mailed or is it a result of some flagging of recent stays in one of the *W brands?
    Did you get some points or miles for participating? :D

4. mileagemax

mileagemax Intern

May 11, 2006
    I got the survey email too, but no points or miles for doing it.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed with the aLoft concept... seems to look a bit cheap and economy style... probably 3 star to compete with Holiday Inn Express or Accor Ibis hotels I think... they would have to price it pretty keen to get me as a customer.

5. BiziBB

BiziBB Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Sydney's bushy north
    Notwithstanding your points, it would enable *W members to get points when on leisure or non-corporate stays. Plus keen pricing.

Given the 7,000 rooms needed for APEC next Spetember in Sydney, I'd hope that there are some new hotel options in Sydney, when virtually ALL of the 4-5* rooms could be booked!

Must go on hols that week :)

6. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #6 Mal, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
    Yeah I received what I believe is the same survey a while ago (3 weeks?)

My understanding is that they are launching in Asia Pacific fairly soon. Indeed some interesting options were being mooted for places where they could be located. Interesting in that Starwood doesn't have a *Wood hotel there at the moment, or that *Wood has exited that location in recent years.

An interesting concept. Not sure how good it is, but I'm willing to give them a try if the cost is right.

7. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    snufl, they must know that if they send it to me, I'll post it here and they'll get good publicity :rolleyes:

BiziBB, I think it was random, as I have only had 2 stays this year (Sheraton PER & Sheraton YVR) and I haven't stayed in a W for 3 or 4 year. No points.

8. CDS1959

CDS1959 Junior Member

Aug 11, 2004
    BNE
    Lindsay, I received the same email, and participated in the survey. Check USA Today website (USATODAY.com - News & Information Homepage) Travel section, and do a search; I'm almost certain they're profiled Loft recently.

It looks to me like a low-cost, no-frills, downmarket version of "W".

9. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Some details about the new hotel brand are available here:

Starwood Hotels & Resorts

According to one press release, the first Aloft hotel is set to open in 2008.

10. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Just received another survey email from them:

What may look easy enough, certainly wasn't :evil: ...... so my email reply -

Certainly must have been a bloody quick survey for it to close so quickly :D

They forgot that I'll also post bad experiences here as well...:rolleyes: