Airport Lounge Access with Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithym

Intern
Just wondering if anyone knows any credit card, other than Diners Club, that gives you free access to some airport lounges? Have used the Diners Club card partner lounges fairly well, but am thinking of getting away from Diners. Cheers

US-issued American Express Platinum Charge Cards give access to Continental, Delta, and Northwest lounges. Australia-issued Platinum Charge Cards don't, however.

I don't know of any Australian cards that give lounge access. But if you have a US social security number, and a US address, you could get the American Platinum card

Several platinum level cards issued in HK give access to various lounges (mainly in Asia)

There used to be a "diners club lounge" at Auckland int airport. Pretty basic (couple of sofas and beer fridge).

I have not been in it for years (now use airline lounges) so am not sure if it still exists.

At the time they had other lounges around Australia but most of them were in the middle of the city and were meant for use more as a meeting point than anything else.

Gazza

I don't think any of the Australian issued cards have this feature any more - the Citibank Gold card used to give access to Northwests Worldclubs in asia but now does not. Many US credit cards give one or two annual passes good for one visit to that airlines lounge.

Now the DJ has launched 'the lounge' they may offer something to Velocity Gold credit card holders but I would be suprised if it was more than just a one off...

I am afraid that if you want lounge access you are going to have to pay the airline

Nobby said:
I don't know of any Australian cards that give lounge access.

It ends up I don't know it all :p

There is an Australian card that gives lounge access... but only once per year, for two people:

It's hard to decide which feature of the Qantas American Express Premium Credit Card will benefit you the most.
2 Qantas Club Invitations every year when you first spend with Qantas on Qantas services that year.

Amex Centurian will give you a complimentry membership for up to two people to Join Priority Pass

This provides lounge access world wide but not for domestic aust or nz as far as I know.

They also have a hefty fee for the black card.

I have a Diners Club card primarily for lounge access.

THE LOUNGE LIST IS AT

Airport Lounges - Relax in more than 50 airports around the globe.

The lounges are usually average but better than the Airport transit or gate lounges.

My experiences so far using Diners club Lounges.

Auckland NZ
Basic & comfortable at the far end of the air side concourse. The coffee ,NZ beers & wines were excellent. Snacks & newspapers acceptable

Heathrow.UK
Free lounge is Service Air lounge in Terminal 1 airside which was accessable by shuttle bus from Terminal 3 (Intl to & from Australia) after check in so was USELESS for farwelling non travelling friends or flying to or from Australia & quite inconvenient. Terminal 3 (where most flights to/from Australia originate) has a Service Air lounge but it costs a reduced rate UK Pds 8.50 instead of Pds15 to enter. Every time I have visited in summer the AirCon was broken ,drinks warm and limited snacks (internet access was charged) so not much of a deal or comfort.

Incheon S Korea
Lounge is pleasant with included computer access, alcoholic drinks & nibbles.
Its on land side which means 30 to 45 minutes in arrival Que's + departure lines to access if in transit.

Narita Japan
Lounge is very basic and always crowded when visited. Soft drinks & tea & coffee and no snacks some English reading material. Barely worth the treck to the end of the concourse.

In summary I have always found the Diners lounges only adequate, hard to find and access information inadequate or out of date. Airport staff generally were not aware of its existance .

The Diners club web lounge directory would be much improved if it included printable location maps, directional + timeline advice for arriving, departing and transit passengers.

Example in Stockholm International the out of date directions resulted in a frutless treck across the airport from one side to the other only to find the lounge had been relocated to the opposite side of the terminal.
A lounge existed in St Petersburg but wasnt listed in the lounge booklet of the day and so wasn't utilized.

Re FF Points & Diners Club card
I can also transfer points to Korean air (at a 50% rate) which is useful and have used the points previously (2002) to add to an Westpac Altitude transfer to Air NZ to obtain a FF ticket to Tahiti so I find the FF points transfers suit my travel patterns ( usually to UK once or twice a year) & prefered airline which is Korean Air.

I am currently working towards a Skypass ROW ticket at 140,000 miles for 2007. Since the retail value is about A $3000 it actually values the points at A$0.02 which is a good yield.

I have basically abandoned Star Alliance after a A$1000 excess baggage sting in St Petersberg , Hypoxia ( lack of oxygen- and a suspected precursor to DVT's)) on a Frankfurt to Beijing flight. ( As an Ex RAAF Engineer I have undergone the decompression chamber training and know the symptoms) & the vastly increased points ( and tough class restrictions) for United upgrades to business class from economy across the Pacific & Atlantic.

Recently I transfered 108,000 FF points from Diners on 2 March 06 .
As of todays post (5 1/2 months) despite 3 follow up phone calls nothing has arrived in my Korean Air Skypass account although 5000 inconvenience credit points have arrived in my Diners Club FF account.
A poor and inconvenient customer service result by Diners Club.

I also have 39,000 points on Royal Brunei (Royal Skies) and need 41,000 extra for a UK return ticket which is available at 80,000 points. As the Royal Skies points can be transfered to friends as well as family has anyone out there unneeded Royal skies points they can offer or trade me or vice versa as a longstanding but not quite lost friend.

I hope this post gives some insights for readers as I have recieved much valuable info from other posts for which I do thank the authors thereof.
Best rgds
Ken

chinafin said:
Auckland NZ
Basic & comfortable at the far end of the air side concourse. The coffee ,NZ beers & wines were excellent. Snacks & newspapers acceptable

It loks like the Auckland lounge has been removed from the diners list. Does anybody know if this is the case?

My last visit to Auckland was sept 2002 so you may have to contact diners in NZ direct.
rgds
Ken

smithym said:
chinafin said:
Auckland NZ

It loks like the Auckland lounge has been removed from the diners list. Does anybody know if this is the case?

Yes this disappeared when the extra bus gates were created about a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back