AFF on Air Discussion thread | Page 4 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

AFF on Air Discussion thread

AFF Editor

Editor
Flights
My Map
Hi Matt.

Thanks for producing a great podcast. I look forward to listening to episodes as soon as they're released. My question relates to redeeming with Alaska Air. I have been curious about Alaska after hearing your podcasts, seeing that it's possible to buy miles on sale and with bonuses and importantly because they fly to USA (or partners). Every time i look to book in Business there are only "mixed cabin" options available in Business or First, with the international leg between Australia and the US always in Economy which defeats the purpose of trying to score Business. Have you ever seen a Business class seat available when redeeming with Alaska? Any tips to find one?

Thank you. Mike
I've answered this question in the latest episode: Podcast Episode 15: The Qantas Oneworld Award

Hi Matt,

Fantastic podcast, this coming from someone who doesn't normally listen to them!

My partner and I have our sights set on business class tickets next Feb/Mar, Perth To Japan return. We currently have 70k Qantas points with another 250K+ arriving throughout the next 6 month.

My question is, was this the most sensible choice of a rewards program for these flights? Also what is the best method for newbies to find the correct program once they have chosen the destination.

I of course do know about your sister website, frequent flyer solutions, however I have not explored throughly.

Is it as simple as using rewards programs that allow transfers to different airlines programs? I hope this has not been answered before and was hoping you had an answer to help all newbies.

Please note, at this stage, chasing status is not a priority.

Thank you in advance Scott
Thanks Scott, I will talk about this in a future episode.

Revenge

Flights
My Map
Still really enjoying the podcast, fantastic content every episode! Thank you for this great resource.

On a constructive note the sound quality of the interviews continues to be very poor. In the last episode the voices of Matt and the guest were at completely different volumes, so I had to keep turning the car sound volume up and down to be able to hear properly. Would really appreciate some volume balancing before release. If it's to be taken seriously as a podcast, outside of subscribers to this site, proper sound production is a must.

PhilOsman

Matt,
Just listened to the podcast, many thanks for your comprehensive answers!
I will probably need to listen to it once or twice more for the info to sink in :)

At this stage I will look to use Velocity points to get to Ireland, as you suggested, and save the Qantas points for an American or European trip in the future.

Star Alliance was great to learn about. I will look to get a status match with United.

Phil

Revenge

Flights
My Map
@Revenge, I've also responded to your feedback in the episode.
Hi Matt

Thanks for the shout out in the last episode.

Sound quality was great in the last 2 episodes. :)

Regarding the question you answered about whether it is worth sticking with the VA and QF frequent flyer programs while moving overseas, I found the biggest reason to not do so is that it's really hard to get the 4 minimum flights per year on the airline needed to retain Gold status. I spent quite a few years living in the UK and ended up crediting all my OW flights to BA instead of QF after a while because I wasn't able to maintain QF status without the 4 QF/JQ flights.

Initially I was actually crediting OW to QF and *A to my BMI membership, but when BA took over BMI and absorbed BMI diamond club into BAEC, I went full commitment to BA.

Sow now I have a lot of life time status credits split evenly between QFF and BAEC. :(

Dan

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryce Hawkins