Advice on Debit Card company

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinMemo

I've had so many issues with NAB and hotel pre-authorisation charges on my debit card the last few months, taking on average a dozen phone calls and 20 days to be released back into my account. This can't be normal. Anyone have any advice on a bank that doesn't hold your money for half the year after you check out?

It's not the bank ... It's the venue/service taking the pre authorisation.

They should always put final payment through using the pre authorisation reference, but for many it's a step too far.

It's much easier for them to just put a new charge through.

Last edited:
I usually use a credit card on check in and a debit card to pay the bill on check out.

But, I do bank with a Credit Union and so sometimes use a debit card, 2 weeks after I've been somewhere I have been know to call the credit union and they can cancel the hold on MY money.

This type of hotel behaviour is poor to say the least.

Matt

I ended up in direct contact with the hotel who had faxed release forms through to nab half a dozen times (they had the fax receipts), but was basically put in the too hard basket via nab I assume.

Interesting point the credit card for authorisation and debt for final bill - I think that might be the way forward for me.

Just pay a cash deposit or use ING who drop auths after 7 days, by comparison Qantas cash are 30 days.

Last edited:
I've found hotels usually ask for a significantly higher cash rate. I did this once at a meriton and not only was it triple (from memory) but they also would refund it in cash, they would only transfer it to a card.

That Meriton thing does not seem like a pre-authorisation, more like a strait eftpos being confused with a CC.

Anyhoo, many clerks quickly learn how to put a pre-auth/charge through on a card (as they have to) but quickly forget any training they may have had on how to finalise a pre-auth.

What can happen with a pre-auth (Lets say $300) is that the amount is withheld against the card and can't be accessed until the pre-auth 'drops off' or is finalised.

If the finalisation is properly done (for say $225) then the remaining $75 on that $300 becomes available [-]immediatly[/-] within a business day or two. If put though as a new charge, you then have the pre-auth of $00 hanging around as well as the addional charge of $225, meaning over $500 is no longer available.

My problem with such were solved when I went to using a charge card.

Last edited:
If the finalisation is properly done (for say $225) then the remaining $75 on that $300 becomes available immediatly. If put though as a new charge, you then have the pre-auth of $00 hanging around as well as the addional charge of $225, meaning over $500 is no longer available.

My problem with such were solved when I went to using a charge card.

If its done properly an offline transaction is done, this is not immediate in terms of funds release and won't hit the banks settlement room until the merchant does their own settlement usually at COB or at midnight, this then goes to your bank for settlement at which time it will hit your account overnight, some 1-4 days after the transaction was finalised.

Fair enough; the last time I had an issue was last century - back then, overnight was generally as good as instant.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back