Adding shipping addresses to Amex account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
I've seen a post or two here where people have added additional addresses to an Amex account for shipping purposes (this is so you can buy stuff online that uses address validation and have it shipped to a re-shipping service, or a temporary address).

I tried doing this, but have been told it isn't possible. So what did you ask for, and is there any online references to it being available?

Interesting. The only things I recall are with repect to using a shipping address in the US, but that was to enable you to shop in the US, rather than about address verification.

I've seen a post or two here where people have added additional addresses to an Amex account for shipping purposes (this is so you can buy stuff online that uses address validation and have it shipped to a re-shipping service, or a temporary address).

I tried doing this, but have been told it isn't possible. So what did you ask for, and is there any online references to it being available?

There is a thread on MyUs somewhere, but bascially what I did was just call them (I am a plat charge customer so i called our dedicated number), and told them that the particular US retailer I was buying from specified that the billing address must match the shipping adress (and they only ship to USA), so the rep on the phone (who incidentally also uses My US) took down my US shipping address and basically said she would "add it in the right places" or words to that affect. She confirmed this is something you can't yourself do online. Anyway, I bought goods a few days later and it all went through OK.

In my experience, the shipping address doesn't actually have to be associated with the Amex card: it just has to be located in the US (or wherever). In the US, they use postcode verification for credit cards. When this system encounters an Australian CC, however, any postcode you enter seems to register as a correct match. I discovered this on a visit to the US where a clerk needed a 5-digit postcode. Since my postcode had only 4 digits, they entered something random, and it worked. Since then, I have used reshipping services with an Australian Amex card with no problems. I just enter the reshipping address as my CC address in the form.

Indeed... I've never added a US address on my Amex and never had any troubles with ordering online using my myus.com address. I just assumed address verification isn't enabled for Australian cards.

Indeed... I've never added a US address on my Amex and never had any troubles with ordering online using my myus.com address. I just assumed address verification isn't enabled for Australian cards.

You could be right. I've never tried it without ringing AMEX to put the US address on there. I guess at the end of the day, so long as you put in a valid credit card (and you have a US shipping address), it could/should work. i will give it a go for my next purchase.

The response I got from Amex was that the merchant could manually get the transaction approved if they wanted to....

Interestingly enough, while digging around, I did find out that Amex can perform fraud checks on the IP address used, the email address used and the shipping address used - if the client requests the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back