AA award questions | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

AA award questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePER

Established Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
1,143
Flights
My Map
I have a few AA award questions for which I couldn't find answers on the AA site...
  • Are open jaw itineraries allowed on partner awards?
  • Are stopovers allowed on partner awards?
  • Are there any restrictions on purchasing miles apart from the 40,000 per calendar year limit? I assume that I can purchase 40,000 in December and then more in January?
These questions come about because I've noticed that it can be cheaper to purchase AA miles for award flights than it is to purchase the flights themselves.

Steve
 
Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
StevePER said:
I have a few AA award questions for which I couldn't find answers on the AA site...
  • Are open jaw itineraries allowed on partner awards?
  • Are stopovers allowed on partner awards?
  • Are there any restrictions on purchasing miles apart from the 40,000 per calendar year limit? I assume that I can purchase 40,000 in December and then more in January?
These questions come about because I've noticed that it can be cheaper to purchase AA miles for award flights than it is to purchase the flights themselves.

Steve
Open Jaws are permitted

Stopovers are allowed when travel is within or to/from North America. For other awards they are not

Yup. You can iirc, purchase in December and then in January

Dave
 

vt01

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
374
StevePER said:
Thanks Dave, that is excellent news.
I've never heard of open jaw - what is an open jaw and how does it differ from a stopover?
Thx
 

StevePER

Established Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
1,143
Flights
My Map
An open jaw is when you return from a different city than the one in which you arrived. For example PER-SYD then MEL-PER.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,104
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
StevePER said:
An open jaw is when you return from a different city than the one in which you arrived. For example PER-SYD then MEL-PER.
Specifically in this case, the open jaw is SYD-MEL.

In some award schemes it is counted in distance.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
Specifically in this case, the open jaw is SYD-MEL.

In some award schemes it is counted in distance.
And also in mileage-based fares such as Global Explorer.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
NM said:
And also in mileage-based fares such as Global Explorer.
and *A RTWs (except for distance between origin and final destination - handy if you are short some miles and departing from a wide or tall country like Australia).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,310
Messages
2,080,850
Members
53,715
Latest member
Gilden
Top