A swing through South America

LPB-UYU OB304
B737-700
CP-2923

On time

IMG_6059.jpeg
B737-700 being loaded at LPB ready for the journey to Uyuni.

I'd drunk the first coffee because I didn't know if it would be allowed through security for the domestic flight (liquids are allowed domestic in Bolivia the same as Aus), so had enough time to get a second coffee in my travel mug for the flight. There was an unannounced gate change (5 to 3, so no big deal) then boarding was called. I was listed as Grupo 3 on the boarding pass but there seemed to just be a single queue that everyone joined, rather than an ordered by group process. With the very egalitarian all-Y layout, maybe they don't need to consider status pax. (though there was a 'Business' check in lane earlier so who knows?)

There was a short delay whilst bags were finalised, then doors closed and the aircraft was pushed back. It was then that a member of the crew announced that due to weight limitations some bags had been left behind. As there is currently only a single flight a day, this caused a bit of murmuring, especially amongst the clearly identified tourist pax which were probably 60-70% of the mix. Moreso because some may have been starting tours that day (the reason the flight is early AM into UYU) which would have been a major inconvenience without necessary baggage.

IMG_6062.jpeg
Arrival at UYU was met with a request to remain seated and alight by called rows. 1-10 first, then to 20 etc. As it was they opened the rear door and everyone near the back just headed out that way. I had checked FindMy whilst waiting and AirTags confirmed both my bags were at UYU.

IMG_6063.jpeg
IMG_6064.jpeg

No service of any kind was offered during the 50-minute flight.
 
I had chosen not to immediately start my tour of the Salar de Uyuni that day and instead booked the night at Casa de Sal, a salt hotel, that is, constructed of salt bricks. As I'd arrived at the hotel about 0900 they completely understandably didn't have my room ready. They estimated only an hour, so checked me in and then I paid the $10 or so for breakfast and went up to the dining room on the top floor.

IMG_6065.jpeg
Salt bricks!

IMG_6068.jpeg
View across Uyuni from the breakfast area

Going on outside was a pretty extensive street market. I couldn't see where the stalls ended in either direction.
IMG_6066.jpeg
IMG_6067.jpeg

Salt art in my allocated room. The beside table was a stack of salt bricks and the bed mattress was raised up on some too.
IMG_6069.jpeg
IMG_6070.jpeg

I spent the day updating part of this TR, doing some other work which was nearly due and trying to organise photos from Peru. Then went for a walk around the markets but didn't need anything. Final task was to repack into a smaller bag I'd be taking with me for the Salar de Uyuni 3-day tour, and then have the hotel store my suitcase and golf clubs whilst I was away for three days.

Uyuni as a town is sprawling, dusty, filled with numerous street dogs and from the parts I saw, mostly devoid of charm.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top