72 hours for US ESTA, new requirement | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

72 hours for US ESTA, new requirement

Hvr

AFF Supporter
Previously travellers could get a US ESTA virtually instantly. You must now allow at least 72 hours.

A statement on the US Customs and Border Protection ESTA application site reads:

"REMINDER: Apply for ESTA no later than 72 hours before departing for the United States. Real-time approvals will no longer be available and arriving at the airport without a previously approved ESTA will likely result in being denied boarding."
I know at least one high profile poster here on AFF has done an instant ESTA but no more. I can only imagine the screaming from pax at check in lines when refused travel.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
I know at least one high profile poster here on AFF has done an instant ESTA but no more. I can only imagine the screaming from pax at check in lines when refused travel.
And was still refused travel after applying and getting ESTA.

Surprising to receive email earlier this year that particular ESTA was expiring. Was going to reply if I can have refund as that ESTA was never used. ;)

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
And was still refused travel after applying and getting ESTA.

Surprising to receive email earlier this year that particular ESTA was expiring. Was going to reply if I can have refund as that ESTA was never used. ;)
No matter where we are in the world John, it is hard to win an argument against the beaurocracy....

serfty

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
No matter where we are in the world John, it is hard to win an argument against the beaurocracy....
Especially when you front up at the airport to check in on a mistake super cheap discounted fare without actually having applied for an ESTA.

Thanks for the reminder @Hvr, I'm off to the USA next week and your post had me make the effort to double check my ESTA is still current. It is :).

opusman

AFF Supporter
Stories about last minute "saves" at the airport aside, it's always been said that it might take 72 hours - why would you ever risk leaving it to the last minute knowingly?

amaroo

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
72 hours is pretty good service. Like passport validity .... don’t ignore and then blame others.

cdp88

AFF Supporter
Virgin
Gold
72 hours . . . Not much longer than the time you spend queuing in customs at their understaffed airports on arrival for first time.

Must...Fly!

AFF Supporter
The number of people who arrive without securing an ESTA is really astounding. Real time approval helped, but not in every case obviously. Many times watched people frantically tapping away on their phones or laptops at 04:30 in the morning trying to get an ESTA to beat check-in closure for the first flight to SYD to connect to LAX....be prepared...

I always wondered what the correlation would be between passengers who do not secure an ESTA in time and those who travel without travel insurance. On the high side would be my guess.

kpc

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I usually apply for my ESTA when I start booking non refundable stuff so this new rule won't affect me ;) The main trap is not entering your passport number accurately on the ESRA application!

juddles

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
I detest the experience of arrival in the few USA airports I go through - and do so now very infrequently. But the ESTA system is great. The only flaw is that it is so simple that you fall into the trap of remembering to renew. The cost and ease of it is IMHO actually great.

RooFlyer

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
With my 10 year B1/B2 USA visa, I think I'm going to end up ahead :). They are reading these electronically at some airports now. :D

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I don't think the ESTA system is all that clear though, especially for people who haven't travelled much.

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Remember this applies for the Yanks wanting to visit Oz (in reverse)
Just wandering
I would have to admit that the better part of 45 years travelling the world in a couple of gilded cages hasn't prepared me for the rather silly intricacies that various border authorities inflict.

Pushka

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Is the US better now with new passports? Seem to remember that the new Oz passport raised concerns when Trump came in.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryce Hawkins