Not open for further replies.

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Interesting

American Express

How the Qantas Frequent Flyer points¹ add up:
  • 5,000 points after your first Card spend
  • 32,500 points when you spend $5,000 on your Card by 31 December 2007
  • 2,500 points after your first spend on your Card in Australia on selected Qantas services²
The 40,000 points offer ends 31 August 2007^ and is only available through this promotion*. The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card Take your points¹ sky high with the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. It’s not just how fast you earn points1 that impresses - you’ll also enjoy access to a range of privileges and benefits that help you get the most out of your travelling lifestyle, whether at home or abroad. For these reasons and more, you’ll find the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card very rewarding.
  • Enjoy a Qantas domestic Economy return flight³ between selected Australian capital cities after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas services²
  • Earn 1.5 Qantas Frequent Flyer points¹ for every dollar spent every day using your Ultimate Card
  • Earn 1 additional point¹ for every dollar spent on your Card in Australia on selected Qantas services²
  • Automatic transfer of points¹ to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account¹ every month
  • Annual Card fee of $395 per annum
  • Domestic and Overseas Travel Insurance4 when you purchase flights on your Card
  • An interest rate of 17.74% p.a.5 p.a.
Terms & Conditions
^Applicants must be 18 years of age and earn a minimum of $65,000 p.a. to apply for a Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express Australia Limited. Credit approval criteria, fees & charges and conditions apply. All information correct as at 19 July 2007. American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085) ® Registered Trademark of American Express Company.
* The 40,000 points offer is only available to new card applicants who apply for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card via this online application form by the 31 August 2007 ONLY. To be eligible for the 32,500 points you need to apply for the Qantas
American Express Ultimate Card via this online application, be approved for the Card and spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card before 31 December 2007. Please allow 6-8 weeks after $5,000 purchase for the 32,500 points to be credited to your account.
Download Credit Card Conditions PDF and see links below for Points Conditions and Product Disclosure Statement.
  1. You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. A joining fee applies. Membership and points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. Award seats are limited and may not be available on every flight.
  2. Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased on the Qantas merchant account i.e. with Qantas direct or some travel agents, (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops or (c) Qantas Holidays. Excludes: Qantas Freight, Jetstar and Qantas branded non-airfare products operated by third parties e.g. Qantas Box Office.
  3. The Qantas domestic return flight in Economy class between selected Australian capital cities is available for booking for Ultimate Cardmembers. All flights are subject to availability and neither American Express nor Qantas guarantee that seats or tickets will be available on the dates or at the times you may wish to fly. Seat availability may be limited to certain dates and/or flights and it may be more difficult to book seats around public holidays, school holidays or special events. Some flights may not have any seats available for redemption. Route availability is subject to change without notice. All travel is subject to Qantas Conditions of Carriage. No Qantas Frequent Flyer points will be awarded for travel on these flights. Subject to Qantas American Express Ultimate Card Product Disclosure Statement and Domestic Return Flight Conditions available at The New American Express Qantas Ultimate Card
  4. Insurance Products are arranged through American Express International, Inc. (ABN 15 000 618 208) AFS Licence 237996. Subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurances issued by ACE Insurance Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020) AFS Licence No. 239687. A Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) is available from us upon request. You should read the appropriate PDS and consider the appropriateness of the insurance in relation to your individual requirements.
  5. Interest rates are current at published date and subject to change, including changes under our Interest Rate Policy.

http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/campaigns/qantas/pdfs/pds_ultimatecard.pdf

6. You may book your Flight in the name of another individual, but not for

an unaccompanied minor.
7. Each Flight must be a non-stop return flight between a Departure City
and one of its corresponding Arrival Cities in the table below.​

Departure City Arrival Cities​

Adelaide
Brisbane Melbourne Sydney

Brisbane​
Adelaide Melbourne Sydney

Melbourne​
Adelaide Brisbane Sydney

Perth​

Sydney​
Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne

Canberra​
Melbourne Sydney

I wish they would just sell 40000 points for $395, it would save filling out the stupid application forms :)

lovetravellingoz said:
Departure City Arrival Cities​

Adelaide
Brisbane Melbourne Sydney

Brisbane​

Melbourne​
Adelaide Brisbane Sydney

Perth​

Sydney​
Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne

Canberra​
Melbourne Sydney

Geez Canberrans get dudded on this deal. Should have ADL and BNE included on the list. Those in Perth seem to get the best travel distance wise.

Hvr said:
Geez Canberrans get dudded on this deal. Should have ADL and BNE included on the list. Those in Perth seem to get the best travel distance wise.

Spare a thought for those in Hobart or Darwin.

Mel and Syd had Per for the first year but it was then removed.

I just came back from my trip to PER (booked it 10mths out)

Damn, just when I got the Gold card with the 30,000 point offer, they bring out a new one for 40,000 on the ultimate! Oh well i'm still happy and I talked my way out of the annual fee as well which I didn't think i'd be able to do, so i'm doubly happy!!

Well don't I feel a bit stupid....

I have had a gold AMEX CC for a few years and recently got a Rewards Maximiser card as well. Rang AMEX today to cancel to gold CC as I was considering applying for this offer (and annual fee on gold card would have been charged next month). When asked why I was cancelling I said I didn't need the card so why pay the annaul fee... to which I was told my current card is fee free for life (including the Ascent rewards program).

This triggered a vague recollection of an offer about 12 months ago where the fee was waived for life and the interest rate dropped to 11%.

So note to oneself.... pay more attention to CC correspondence...

Am still considering the current Ultimate Card offer, for the 40k points, the travel insurance (which the RM and gold cards do not cover) plus the annual flight - which is reasonable (but not great) value between MEL and BNE.

As I also put my work airfares on my own card and claim back, the extra 1 point per $ with QF is also appealing.

I am considering....basically as a way of buying points at a bit of a discount..

However I am waiting till after this weeks announcement of the QFF to see what the "enhancemnts" are....

Shano said:
Well don't I feel a bit stupid....

I have had a gold AMEX CC for a few years and recently got a Rewards Maximiser card as well. Rang AMEX today to cancel to gold CC as I was considering applying for this offer (and annual fee on gold card would have been charged next month). When asked why I was cancelling I said I didn't need the card so why pay the annaul fee... to which I was told my current card is fee free for life (including the Ascent rewards program).

This triggered a vague recollection of an offer about 12 months ago where the fee was waived for life and the interest rate dropped to 11%.

May I asked what offer??

I am aware of Industry Cards like AMA Gold Amex that are free for life with Ascent includerd with an earn rate of 1.5 BUT evidently only after the firsts $10,000 (with the first $10,000 I assume earning zero points) so effectively it costs 15000 points per year.

I am aware of the free for life Blue...bit it does not include Ascnt.

Naturally if I cold geta free for life Gold with Ascent...and points from the firsts $1 I would be very interested.

You can of course get it easily free for the first year...but if anyone knows of free for life Gold then please let me know....

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

I have applied for this car, and been told i am approved.

What are my chances of "talking my way out" of the $395 fee ? ?

anyone else had luck doing it ?

Cheers
MM

lovetravellingoz said:
May I asked what offer??
I've checked back through my AMEX correspondence but cannot find any reference to this specific offer.

My original gold CC application was through a mail-out offer in 2004 and then about 12 to 18 months ago I believe the fee free for life, along with the lower interest rate and higher credit limit was offered. I can recall the discussion regarding drop in interest rate and the higher credit limit, but not the waiving of the annaul fee :shock:.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

I took out a Qantas AMEX Premium in March for the no fee, 17,500 points deal.

Got charged the $195 annual fee on first statement; refunded with apology.

After reading the threads here, checked my statements, had received 2,500 Qantas bonus & 5000 activation bonus but no remaining 10,000 bonus.

Gave AMEX a call yesterday to ask where they were, assured they would be credited shortly, another apology!

THANKS FORUM.

Asked if I upgraded to the Ultimate card would they waive the $395 annual fee? No, from operator in Phillipines(?)

Got put through to a premium manager in OZ who said no and that the 40,000 points was a good deal and that I should think about it.

Anyone else have any luck with fee waivers on the Ultimate deal?

And are the 40,000 points worth the $395 fee?

Cheers

NJIM said:

Cheers

I think for the ultimate card getting a waiver would be a struggle. After all, a domestic flight is included as part of the deal. The premium card does not have this free flight, so it is somewhat easier for them to offer a waiver. Now this offer would give you a free flight and 40,000 points and something has to pay for all that.

If you buy points from QF, $400 will get you 12,500 points, so it is better from that point of view, but you need to assess yourself whether it is worth it.

Thanks Shano....though can you confirm whether you get 1.5 points on each and every dollar?

Thanks

NJIM said:

A while back there was an Ultimate card offered where there was no card fee mentioned. So I applied hoping it was free.

They approved it...but with the $395 and so I did not activate it.

I rang them to say it should be free as there was no card fee in the offer. They would not give it free but did offer to reduce it...I think by about $100. I refused saying free or nothing.....and they declined.

NJIM said:

Cheers

Well that depends on what YOU would use them for and also whether the extra domesric flight is useful to you or not....it is not that useful for me as my leuisure travel is not to those cities that it covers. If the flights are genuinely useful to you then you would discount the $395 fee.

For me I generally value points as being worth about 1cent each. so the deal is only break even. However I am now saving points fora RW....so my point value would be say now 1.7/2.0 centsa point. So it is more attractive.

For Business Upgrades or business redemption flights they would be good value.

For domestic Australian would probably be a loss...
ie MEL-SYD Total points 8,000 plus taxes Total points with taxes 14,000 Red-e-deal of $105 ie 3 flighhts =42000 points vs $315 to actually buy them with better avaialibity!!!

For international would be mariginal.

ie 60,000 points fora $600to1000 airfare (plus taxes0. So points at peak or busier times would be cheaper to use points than cash.

For RTW redemption at 140,000 points for a $2300 to $2800 plus taxes would be good value.

AND the other factor is what you current CC earn rate is.

If it is the Maximiser at 1.5...then no advantage.

If it is the Premium QFF...then you go up from 1.25 to 1.5.

ie
$100,000 per year spend = extra 25,000 points
$50,000 per year spend = extra 12,500 points
$25,000 per year spend = extra 6,250 points

Last edited:
lovetravellingoz said:
Thanks Shano....though can you confirm whether you get 1.5 points on each and every dollar?
For the original gold CC, earn rate is only 1 point per $ for every dollar. The maximum I have put on the card in any 1 month is about $12,000 and points were earned on this full amount.

The RM card earns at 1.5 points per $.

lovetravellingoz said:
if anyone knows of free for life Gold then please let me know....

I have a gold amex, free for life with acsent... it is a Qld Law Society card (I assume similar to the AMA card you referred to. If you are interested, I can sus out its availiblity outside of the society... IIRC, I simply completed a special application form and sent it off to AMEX directly... and I doubt the society know I have it because I still get a letter every month advertising it and enclosing a dummy card and 'pre-approved' application form... if you are still interested, send me a PM or email... IMHO, Citibank gold is a better deal (if you can get no annual fee) - it is accepted everywhere too...:!:

lovetravellingoz said:
if anyone knows of free for life Gold then please let me know....

APESMA Gold Credit Card has free ascent, no card fee and free supplementary cards. However it is 1pt/$. They have a Plat card that is 1.5pt/$ and $295/yr.

NB, if anyone is interested in APESMA and eligible, do PM me... There is a referral bonus that I am happy to split.

futaris said:
APESMA Gold Credit Card has free ascent, no card fee and free supplementary cards. However it is 1pt/$. They have a Plat card that is 1.5pt/$ and $295/yr.

NB, if anyone is interested in APESMA and eligible, do PM me... There is a referral bonus that I am happy to split.

I guess that as I don't even know what APESMA stands for, that I am probably not eligible :!:

... clues anyone :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back