28 Degrees card exchange rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickd

Hi,

Never mind, I figured out that the exchange rate on my statement is USD-AUD not the other way...

Still, if anyone knows, does Mastercard or GE set the exchange rate for the 28 degrees card?

Cheers

Last edited:
think its the standard mastercard/maestro rate with no surcharge

However, you won't find out the exchange rate until you view your statement at the end of the month.

The "Current Transactions" page only shows the AUD spend. You can't check if you've been overcharged until you see the statement.

AFAIR the old, not the new enhanced version, Wizard website "Current Transactions" page used to show the Foreign Currency Amount/AUD pairs.

This was much more useful. I really wish 28 Degrees would include this info.

Andrew Watson

Certainly used to be easier when the foreign currency purchase amounts were listed online.

These days you may need to have the original purchase documentation at hand if you wish to calculate the rate before you receive your statement.

Decided to put this to the cash test tonight in Los Angeles.We each pulled $500 of our in credit funds in our 28 Degrees card to see what rate we get thru an ATM. It costs $3 at the US Bank each to do this test while we are at our local supermarket.
Go Aussie dollar!

We got 1.0675 for cash so I was very happy with that out of an ATM.

Last month I purchased golf and accommodation in Thailand on the card and was pleasantly surprised with the exchange rate. It was almost the same as the cash exchange booths in both Hua Hin and Pattaya and may use the credit card more often next trip and not carry so much cash with me.

Last month I purchased golf and accommodation in Thailand on the card and was pleasantly surprised with the exchange rate. It was almost the same as the cash exchange booths in both Hua Hin and Pattaya and may use the credit card more often next trip and not carry so much cash with me.

The THB 150.00 ATM fee on foreign cards in Thailand is not great. But that's not 28 degrees fault. Just plan for it.

The THB 150.00 ATM fee on foreign cards in Thailand is not great. But that's not 28 degrees fault. Just plan for it.
If my test transaction is indicative of the usual exchange rate then over a 2 week period 150 baht per withdrawal is significant. Yes I can withdraw 50,000 baht in one transaction (not even sure if this is possible) and the fee is almost meaningless but I prefer to withdraw much smaller amounts of around 10,000 baht at a time.

Cash is just as good and works for me.

Since the middle of last year Westpac have been entering separate transactions on my WP KF card for every foreign transaction (ie overseas website transactions etc etc)

30/01/2012FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE

It has really had the effect of highlighting the excessive foreign charge that they are adding to each foreign transactions.

In just 5 minutes on the 28 degrees site I have been approved for the card and will soon be saving ~$55/month in bank charges.

Thanks AFF and contributors.

It is a great saving Alby. Our family use 28 degrees cards.
If you shop at Woolies you can get $500 gift cards on your favourite points earning Visa or Mastercard for $475 (5% saving). You can join RACWA for $29 then use their website as an affiliate member. They will mail you the cards really quickly.
Limit is one per day and the cards work at Woolies and Big W but not on Liquor nor tobacco. This saving would be tax free and so would the points you earn on using your credit card.

You can avoid the 150 Baht fee by using AEON ATMs, not as well signed as the majors but they are generally available in all the tourist spots as well as a lot of local Thai shopping centres such as Jusco.

You can avoid the 150 Baht fee by using AEON ATMs, not as well signed as the majors but they are generally available in all the tourist spots as well as a lot of local Thai shopping centres such as Jusco.
AEON ATMs are not that easy to find although on my next trip I am going to specifically look out for them and make a note of where they are actually located for future trips.

If you go to their website they tell you the locations of all of them. You have to search for deposit machines as well as the dispensers as they are ATMs as well, I know most of the ones around mid to upper sukhumvit area if you need any info.

I know most of the ones around mid to upper sukhumvit area if you need any info.
I hardly spend any time in Bangkok these days. Most of my time is spent with the girlfriend in Hua Hin or Nakhon Pathom although I am still allowed to spend 4-5 days in Pattaya so I can spend some time playing golf. ;)

Interestingly, I bought 2 lots of US dividend miles, first one on 29 March and the second one on 13 April and for both transactions my 28 degree MC was charged $1,817.28 (Aussie), rate of $0.965996. I didn't think that the FX rate was identical on both days, I expected to pay more for the second transaction.

Decided to put this to the cash test tonight in Los Angeles.We each pulled $500 of our in credit funds in our 28 Degrees card to see what rate we get thru an ATM. It costs $3 at the US Bank each to do this test while we are at our local supermarket.
Go Aussie dollar!

ISTR when I was in the US last that if you use a Chase Bank ATM there is no withdrawal fee. (Although that may have been when it was still Wizard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back