180k Altitude Points - What to redeem for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybrown

Having trouble deciding what to redeem my altitude points for.

Originally got the card for KF points. But international travel doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon.

Any suggestions what to redeem for? KF and Velocity are both 0.33 conversion or there's an option 141k points to $500 cashback.

I thought at least velocity I'd be able to use domestically for a while, but just doesn't seem like great value!

This may or may not be useful for you - Overview of Westpac Altitude Rewards Transfer Partners | Australian Frequent Flyer

On that page, you can click on any of the airline transfer partners to get an overview of how the points can be used with each airline.

FWIW, I would personally transfer the points to KrisFlyer. They are more valuable than Velocity points in general - just beware of the fixed 3-year expiry of KrisFlyer miles.

The cashback option is generally poor value, unless you don't think you'll be flying anywhere in the next 3 years!

Thanks Matt, yep I've looked at that link. Indeed the 3 year expiry is what I'm worried about! Who knows with Covid...been over a year already who expected that!

Thanks Matt, yep I've looked at that link. Indeed the 3 year expiry is what I'm worried about! Who knows with Covid...been over a year already who expected that!

You can redeem KrisFlyer miles to fly domestic on VA, or also with Air NZ to New Zealand.

As it happens, 62,000 KrisFlyer miles (equivalent to 186,000 Altitude points) would be enough to book return Air New Zealand business class from Australia to New Zealand. You wouldn't have to wait 3 years to do that :)

Good Point about the NZ! Sold! I'll convert to KF :) Now question is when the next 15% transfer bonus will pop up :p

Altitude are hopeless these days. I tried to redeem a stack of points for Asiamiles. After 6 weeks, with multiple phone calls and emails, nothing happened. The points disappeared from my Altitude account, but never appeared in Asiamiles. Finally after I threatened to go to the ombudsman, they FINALLY replied to me, with some excuse about system problems, and stated that my points would be reinstated and that there wouldn't be an issue in the future. After I checked my Altitude account, I found that only a bit more than half the points had been refunded, and that there was no correlation between that and the initial amount (odd number and even a decimal amount). It took another phone call to resolve this.

Also, several times the agent would place me on hold and the call would immediately drop, and I would have to go through the entire rigmarole with a new agent, only to be dropped again. I was NEVER called back after the lost call until the last agent when I tried to get ALL the points refunded. She also asked to put me on hold and I refused citing my previous experiences, so she promised to call me back if the call was lost. This call also dropped as soon as she placed me on hold, but she did call me back. So I would advise anyone having issues with Altitude to get an assurance that you will be called back if they place you on hold.

In a way the schemozzle worked in my favour, as I was able to find better flights using AC flights, although they have now been cancelled due to Covid, and I have decided to wait until there is more certainty around international travel.

Regarding KF expiry here's a reply from Sing Air recently, hope it can help with your hesitation regarding Covid:

We note of your concerns. Rest assured that KrisFlyer miles that will be expiring between January 2021 and June 2021 will be automatically extended by six months. The current expiry date reflected in your statement /account are before their extension.
The extension will take place at the end of each month, before the miles expire. No action is required from your end.
With regards to KrisFlyer miles that will be expiring beyond June 2021, we will continue to monitor the situation and timely updates will be provided to the affected members.
You may refer to the link below for more information:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/ppsclub-krisflyer/latestnews/2020renewal-kf/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users

Back