17,500 points promotion on again, until end May 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the never ending, time limited deal! Quick, before time runs out. :p

I applied during the previous offer, and didn't receive a reply. Not even a letter in the mail declining my application. Hopefully this time will elicit a more favourable response.

Well mine took ages and despite my application I had to send in pay slips and then address confirmation with a bill.

They promised to still give me the points - now I can see why.

Who cares, all add up - its 17500 free points as I see it, as long as you bail before the 11/12th month when they levy that $195 annual fee....

rezok said:
Who cares, all add up - its 17500 free points as I see it, as long as you bail before the 11/12th month when they levy that $195 annual fee....

On my card the annual fee was taken in the first bill cycle.

On my card the annual fee was taken in the first bill cycle.

They do that often. I rang than, faxed a copy of the offer and the annual fee was removed. I wonder how many people don't get this reversed, a nice earner.

Would it be wise to get the offer page saved to PDF and then uploaded here? I have only been able to save it as a webpage, since I have Acrobat Reader.

Coathanger said:
Would it be wise to get the offer page saved to PDF and then uploaded here? I have only been able to save it as a webpage, since I have Acrobat Reader.

Page from the Qantas website attached.

Attachments

• Frequent Flyer - Earning Points - Qantas American Express Card.pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Mal. I remember Citibank disputing the free-for-life Gold card offer and being proved wrong. So there is no hiding for Amex :)

Do amex email when you apply? I applied about a week ago and haven't received any form of confirmation that they even have it.

How long does Amex take?

In my experience, Amex do not send out confirmation emails.

They usually take ten (10) working days for you to receive a letter if your application is successful. The letter asks you to bring ID to their CBD office for verification, and then the send you out the card.

I'm getting a new car and have been told that i'll be able to pay for it on my credit card, so I'm looking at getting a card that'll maximise the points i can get and just saw this offer has changed!

• 5,000 points after your first Card spend.
  • A further 25,000 points when you spend $1,000 on purchases on your Card before
    31 December 2007.^
  • 2,500 afte the first Qantas Spend
Giving a total possible bonus points of 32,500 for $195! Unfortunately the annual fee free for the first year does not seem to apply anymore, but I think the points are worth it, plus the 1.25 points per $ spent on $32,600 that my car will cost giving me 70,750 (+2,500 after Qantas spend) it seems like a good deal.

Anyone know of anything better?

Cyberdog100 said:
I'm getting a new car and have been told that i'll be able to pay for it on my credit card ....
You should ask the car dealer what extra charges they will impose for using an Amex card. Note that Amex will charge them in the order or 2% of the transaction amount (could be as much as 3% depending on their Amex relationship) so they will likely want to pass that on to you. if they are not going to charge you a surcharge for using Amex, then you are paying too much for the car as they have built the Amex merchant fee into the cost of the sale.

They have assured me they won't impose any surcharge but will do it incrimentally over a number of transactions as it works out better for them that way! I got a pretty good deal on the car, so I doubt they'd have included the charges in the price since I didn't mention anything about credit cards until after the deal was done. Of course there's gotta be a margin of some sort in there for them, I guess any charges they receive will just cut into their margin. Perhaps they also have a "special" relationship with Amex as well since there was no objection at all when I mentioned Amex.

Have a friend who owns a car place, he rings up the CC card company and gets a special fixed price charge for the transaction depending on amount, seen him do it, seems like they don't mind. Besides most people would then not pay it off on time and they get interest.

E

Evan, that could explain their willingness. Either way it doesn't bother me what happens on their end, as long as they don't change their mind and I get my points (oh and my car as well) then all will be good! Oh and I have no intention of "forgetting" to pay that balance off on time, would be a very nasty shock when the statements comes!

Note also that if using an Amex Credit Card (as oppposed to a Charge Card), Amex will not allow a single transaction that exceeds the card's credit limit. That means that if you have, for example a $10,000 credit limit, and even if you pre-pay $20,000 into the card account (which will give you $30,000 available credit) the maximum single transaction permitted is still $10,000. So that $30,000 would need to be processed in at least three separate transactions.

Thanks NM, I didnt know that but it wont be a problem for me since they will be doing it in smaller blocks to save fees anyway. That is a bit weird though, if the money is there that they wouldn't allow it to be used in 1 transaction.

Cyberdog100 said:
Thanks NM, I didnt know that but it wont be a problem for me since they will be doing it in smaller blocks to save fees anyway. That is a bit weird though, if the money is there that they wouldn't allow it to be used in 1 transaction.
I don't see how processing multiple smaller transactions would save any fees. As far as I am aware, the merchants fees are a straight percentage of the transaction amount

Yes, it is strange. It is not the same for all credit card providers, but is like this for Amex and possibly some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back