Would you fly... Ukraine International Airlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattg

Enthusiast
Solutions
So, I'm looking at doing a round trip from Berlin to Istanbul later in the year. The cheapest option is to fly via Kiev on Ukraine International Airlines. On one hand, the thought of flying via the Ukraine puts me off, but another part of me tells me that any concerns about that are irrational.

Would you do it, or would you pay a bit more to fly with someone else?

Virgin Bart

Established Member
So, I'm looking at doing a round trip from Berlin to Istanbul later in the year. The cheapest option is to fly via Kiev on Ukraine International Airlines. On one hand, the thought of flying via the Ukraine puts me off, but another part of me tells me that any concerns about that are irrational.

Would you do it, or would you pay a bit more to fly with someone else?

To me (stupidly perhaps) that would be one risk too far. I'm sure it'd be fine though..

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

YSSY

I flew with them a few years ago and they were ok. I am generally a realist, but to be honest with so much going on in Ukraine wouldn't plan any travel that involves the Ukraine at the moment unless it was critical.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Try Aegean. They are always having a sale.

mannej

Solutions
How much are you honestly saving by flying them?

Alanslegal

Given the current situation over Ukraine airspace whereby 99% of airlines are avoiding that air after MH17, I would be very reluctant to be flying that airline via Kiev.

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Whilst I am generally happy to try something different, I wouldn't be choosing that part of the world at the moment.

PlutekPlutek

I flew with them 2 weeks ago Warsaw-Kiev and they were fine. No better or worse than the next airline. Modern fleet of 737s and EMB190s. Kiev is actually in the central part of the country , some 800km away from the conflict. I'm sure their flights will also avoid the war zone.

Mattg

Enthusiast
Solutions
How much are you honestly saving by flying them?

From the sound of the majority of posts, I don't think the saving would be enough to make up for the risk/worry.

The flights wouldn't be until around November. Who knows what the situation will be like then? It may improve, or it may escalate.

mannej

Solutions
From the sound of the majority of posts, I don't think the saving would be enough to make up for the risk/worry.

The flights wouldn't be until around November. Who knows what the situation will be like then? It may improve, or it may escalate.

That's the ultimate question you have to ask, is the saving worth it?

shearsense

Do it semi-regularly with different carriers. Doing it again this week with UIA. Satisfactory airline, good airport. No worries.

Foreigner

Established Member
No.

Trivia: Ukraine took over part of fleet of Aerosvit, a private airline in Ukraine, following bankruptcy early 2013.

Sent from AFF Mobile Edition

BAM1748

No I would not. They are potentially a target.

Pay a few more Euros and stop being so cheap, unless you don't value your worth at much.

Matt

What scares me is the fact that things like air to air missles can be procured by militant groups almost anywhere . Airports and airlines have done such a good job at preventing terrorist attacks from on board but now who needs to get on board?
I fear that copy cat attacks may well follow especially from Syria or Iraq. When I book my next flight to Europe I will be making sure that the airline flies well outside the range of a missile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..