Worth Using points for Hotels in NewYork? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Worth Using points for Hotels in NewYork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada

Intern
I can't make FFlyers work with my flights because I'm trying to coordinate with others.
Now I"m wondering if it's worth using points or points _+ pay for accommodation in New York.
It would be in 23 or 24 August 2015 and out 28 or 29 August 2015.
Any recommendations or is it a waste of points?
I would want a twin share, something convenient and clean,bfast included would be good.
Or, LA is also a possibility but leaning more towards NY now.
I am bronze member, no status points and 279000 points.
Thanks, love this site.

Or if anyone knows any in Toronto, that would be in 12 august out 18 august or thereabouts.

Last edited:

Hvr

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Generally not the best use of points but YMMV. Look at a couple of sites to see what the prices are like as well as the actual hotel site.

Also, you may want to consider a hotel at either end of New York City changing mid way through your stay just see something different.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Alanslegal

Often its poor value using points on hotels, however if you feel like just spending them and have no other ideas on how to use them, sure go ahead.

Given I use my points solely on premium cabin flights because that's where I see the best value, then for example 279,000 can get you from Australia to New York and back in real business class.

elan

Intern
Hi Canada, I was in the same situation recently. I used a number of points to get 5 of us from Mel-NY and back. Using points I had limited choices and as we intend to have more holidays OS, we decided that the best option was to keep the points for flights.

Sprucegoose

NYC is generally expensive. How points per night do they want?

I always use IHG points when I can over there for that reason. Never used FF points for non air purchase, upgrades only imho is the best value use.

cambriamarsh

Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Red
Often its poor value using points on hotels, however if you feel like just spending them and have no other ideas on how to use them, sure go ahead.

Given I use my points solely on premium cabin flights because that's where I see the best value, then for example 279,000 can get you from Australia to New York and back in real business class.
And 1000 more gets a J RTWc

sergeyvzn

Established Member
You are 1k points away from a business class trip around the world (280K OneWorld award) - you must be mad wishing to spend the points on accommodation

dajop

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
In reality, using points for hotels is just substituting for cash, at around $6.40-$7 for every 1000 points, except perhaps when you spend the minimum pts (5000). This is very similar to using points to "buy" gift vouchers to Woolworths, Caltex, Myer, David Jones and others, that come in at around $6.70 for every 1000 points.

It represents the minimum value for your points, and if you don't have any pressing desire to spend on flights then it may be worthwhile. However, if you have flights to take, or want to take, you should be able to get better value than that even on economy tickets, or certainly could treat yourself in business class as others have mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sherm