Who are Suncorp Partnered With?

Catweazle

Remind me again: aren't Suncorp partnered with another bank somewhere? Was it Bendigo bank? Is it now NAB? Or both?

I know that some smaller banks may be connected with each other, in the sense that you apply for a credit card but can't get the rewards points because you've held a similar one with their partner bank within the last 12 - 24 months. Is this the case with Suncorp (or Citibank even)? They say:

National Australia Bank Limited (ABN 12 004 044 937, AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 230686) (“NAB”) is the credit provider and issuer of Suncorp Clear Options Credit Cards. Suncorp-Metway Ltd (ABN 66 010 831 722, AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 229882) (“Suncorp Bank”) promotes and distributes Suncorp Clear Options Credit Cards on NAB's behalf under an agreement with NAB. NAB has acquired the business relating to this credit from Citigroup Pty Ltd (ABN 88 004 325 080, AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 238098) (“Citi”) and has appointed Citi to assist to administer the Credit Cards. Our/us/we means NAB unless the context otherwise requires it. Suncorp Bank will not guarantee or otherwise support NAB's obligations under the contracts or agreements connected with the Credit Cards (other than those relating to Suncorp Internet Banking and Suncorp Telephone Banking).

I see that Suncorp have a deal out:
  • Earn 70,000 bonus Qantas Points when you enroll to earn Qantas Points and spend $3,000 on Eligible Transactions in the first 90 days from approval.
  • A $129 annual fee plus a $49 p.a. fee to earn Qantas Points will apply.
  • 24 hr concierge service by phone
  • 0% p.a. for 12 months on balance transfers.
  • Earn 0.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Eligible Transactions, capped at $8,000 per Statement Period (yes, well that's rather cheap)
  • Complimentary insurances
  • 20.74% p.a.
Was thinking about applying, but I've held an NAB credit card within the last 12 months. Would I be better to go with Suncorp, Citibank or wait out the waiting period?

Suncorp partnered with Citibank to issue their cards. When NAB acquired the Citibank business, it went across to NAB as part of that acquisition.

Yes but does the Suncorp card count as NAB for eligiblity purposes?

For example Westpac own St George/Bank of Melbourne/Bank SA. But having a Westpac issued credit card doesnt preclude you from sign-up bonuses for a SGB/BoM/BSA issued card and vice versa. Yet having a SGB issued card does preclude you from BoM and BSA sign-up offers.

So it isn't always about who owns the product, but how they treat that brand.

ANZ bought Suncorp (banking not insurance) so expect it to move there at some point.

Does anyone have experience on how long it takes for the bonus Qantas points to come through? I took out a card and met the minimum spend immediately. My first statement shows 4,000 regular earn points and 70,000 bonus points - but only the regular points have hit my Qantas account. I called up and they said that the bonus points take 56 days from the date the spend was met. Does anyone know whether it actually takes 56 days or do they come sooner?

Does anyone have experience on how long it takes for the bonus Qantas points to come through? I took out a card and met the minimum spend immediately. My first statement shows 4,000 regular earn points and 70,000 bonus points - but only the regular points have hit my Qantas account. I called up and they said that the bonus points take 56 days from the date the spend was met. Does anyone know whether it actually takes 56 days or do they come sooner?
I'm in the same boat - there's a fair bit of discussion about this over on OzBargain. No one seems to have actually received the bonus points yet, despite them appearing on the first statement. I'm going to give them another month before starting down the AFCA route.

I'm in the same boat - there's a fair bit of discussion about this over on OzBargain. No one seems to have actually received the bonus points yet, despite them appearing on the first statement. I'm going to give them another month before starting down the AFCA route.

Thanks. I share those OzBargain people's view that this is an IT stuff up. Normally bonus points on a statement will transfer automatically (often the day before the statement) - and if they don't show up on a statement you have to wait until they show up on the next one. I would be astonished if points on a statement were credited to Qantas some weeks later.

This is deeply irritating as it messes up my churn strategy. I have a keeper card ($8,000 limit), this one which I have reduced to $10,000 and I find that applications for a third card are often rejected.

I'm in this boat. The bonus points appeared alongside the spend points on statement one, but nothing transferred. Statement two, spend points didn't transfer, along with those outstanding - called them and they said my QF number was recorded incorrectly (it wasn't, unless they recorded it incorrectly - in the online banking thing my name and QFF number were correct). Anyway, apparently they corrected it.

Third statement came and went, still nothing (I've stopped spending on it now, because they can't be bothered to send the points anyway).

So complaint raised, reply promised within 4x business days, no response received. I've never had much of an issue with Citi or NAB, but Suncorp are a new level of cough.

I'm in this boat. The bonus points appeared alongside the spend points on statement one, but nothing transferred. Statement two, spend points didn't transfer, along with those outstanding - called them and they said my QF number was recorded incorrectly (it wasn't, unless they recorded it incorrectly - in the online banking thing my name and QFF number were correct). Anyway, apparently they corrected it.

Third statement came and went, still nothing (I've stopped spending on it now, because they can't be bothered to send the points anyway).

So complaint raised, reply promised within 4x business days, no response received. I've never had much of an issue with Citi or NAB, but Suncorp are a new level of cough.

I'm in the same position but with knobs on. I unfortunately had to get a refund on the spend that took me over the $3000 so I have had to make a further spend to get over the line. I don't know whether this will reset the timetable for awarding the points if/when their systems get fixed. I was worried that this would put my churning on hold while it was all resolved, but I have just been accepted for an ANZ FF Black card today.

I'm in the same position but with knobs on. I unfortunately had to get a refund on the spend that took me over the $3000 so I have had to make a further spend to get over the line. I don't know whether this will reset the timetable for awarding the points if/when their systems get fixed. I was worried that this would put my churning on hold while it was all resolved, but I have just been accepted for an ANZ FF Black card today.
Good news on the ANZ card. I took out a NAB card (tempting fate?) for the same reason, but I'll keep waiting for either Suncorp or AFCA to resolve this one.

Inclined to agree with the rest that it must be some sort of IT issue, I doubt they're doing it deliberately, combined with the fact it's affecting a lot of people. Main thing is that it is shown on the statement, so there is some evidence the points were awarded/received, rather than me just relying on a screen print of the original offer!

As a churner I was just about to get this card when I saw bonus points aren't issued until the 3rd statement. I think I'll give it a miss.
@flapper, is this what you're referring to (from the Things You Should Know section on the credit card page)?
The bonus Suncorp Credit Card Rewards Points will be credited to your Rewards Balance within 6-8 weeks from meeting the spend hurdle
I was considering this card until you brought this to my attention; now I'll need to think a bit more about my options.

The card is new and there was clearly an IT issue that meant bonus points were not being sent to FF accounts. Some people on OzBargain suggest the points are now being credited when the next statement is issued. My guess is that if the IT issue is fixed, bonus points for future cards will come on the statement after the spend is met.

The card is new and there was clearly an IT issue that meant bonus points were not being sent to FF accounts. Some people on OzBargain suggest the points are now being credited when the next statement is issued. My guess is that if the IT issue is fixed, bonus points for future cards will come on the statement after the spend is met.
I received my points yesterday, definitely seems to have been an IT issue.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back