Which Visa/MC card now best for most flexibility/velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wchiri

Hey all,

Last 3 years used the citibank signature for all visa/mc transactions (non amex), was fee free for life and good earn rate with flexibility to transfer to velocity/krisflyer etc.

Now that citibank along with other banks have decreased the earn rates, which card is going to be the 'go-to' card for visa/mc transactions predominantly for velocity.

Would love your suggestions!

Believe it or not, the Coles Mastercard might be worth a look.
Agreed!! Haven't seen a better one and it's cheap with 0% international fees. Equivalent to 0.87pts per $ (or $1 pt per $ during one on the many bonus promotions) . There are annual restrictions from Flybuys to Velocity though. Not sure if changes will be coming to this card also.

+1 on Coles Mastercard. Only problem for me is the cap on transfer for Velocity, I think I worked out that if you spend $5k or more every month, you will exceed the cap. Transfer to Etihad is unlimited though but no 15% bonus

I'd hold off until Coles MC announce their changes in response to the new interchange rules. Otherwise, it does look good even when transferring your VA points to KF with the 1:1.35 haircut still at 0.64/0.75 (during promo period) effective earn rate although transfers to VA are capped so will need to consider that.

which card is going to be the 'go-to' card for visa/mc transactions predominantly for velocity.

You already have the Citibank Signature free for life. I dont believe it can be beaten for a normal persons spending. Maybe if you go over 20-30k you might consider something else, but thats going to be hard if you are already using AMEX.

Otherwise the best card is going to vary widely for people depending on their annual spend, because you gotta pay the annual fee back first. ANd its harder to do a generic analysis now with the scaled point earnings, everyones patterns are different.

I have the Citibank Sig FFL, but the missus is using it (and I get the points woohoo) I am going to get the Fee Free Coles Mastercard, for my own personal spending, which I like to keep seperate from our joint stuff. I only spend about $5000 a year on tea, biscuits and bingo membership. The return is coughpy, but so is the spend, and its worth the effort to avoid explanations why my bingo membership is been paid to "bubbles bathhouse"

You already have the Citibank Signature free for life.

Getting so hard to compare:

Westpac SQ Platinum vs Westpac Black vs AMEX Edge vs Citibank Signature

for the best value for KrisFlyer and/or Velocity?

Getting so hard to compare:

Westpac SQ Platinum vs Westpac Black vs AMEX Edge vs Citibank Signature

for the best value for KrisFlyer and/or Velocity?

If you are referring to amex spending, the best value will be amex explorer LINKED to amex edge. and you got 2MR for $1 spend. Best on the market now!

If you are referring to amex spending, the best value will be amex explorer LINKED to amex edge. and you got 2MR for $1 spend. Best on the market now!

I have the Amex Edge and only got it a few months ago so don't think I will be able to get the Explorer as well. I know to always use the Amex for all possible spending. Just not sure which Visa/MC is best to use for when I can't use the Amex between: Westpac SQ, Westpact Black and Citi Signature to get the best Velocity earn rate.

ANZ mortgage with breakfree package gives rewards black for $60 annual fee (rewards fee). 1VFF - $1 up to $5000 a month then 0.5VFF unlimited. Add regular 15% promo (or 35% / 50% as current) it seems to be a good thing.

On a side note with ANZ black on my everyday Visa spend (1VFF) and Platinum edge for supermarket (3VFF) + Explorer linked to accent (2VFF) for AMEX i'm earning more points than ever post devaluation for about $50 a year in card fees (using AMEX travel credits). 2017 has been a great year :D:D.

ANZ mortgage with breakfree package gives rewards black for $60 annual fee (rewards fee)..
Every bank gives away a free rewards card in exchange for the annual wealth package fee, so the persons with such a package dont really have a choice which Bank will offer the best card for them.

But yes, if you are with ANZ Breakfree, get the Black, the $55 annual fee is worth it. That its also $65 for an additional cardholder, probably isnt. I am thinking we are already giving them $375 per annum!

Every bank gives away a free rewards card in exchange for the annual wealth package fee, so the persons with such a package dont really have a choice which Bank will offer the best card for them.

But yes, if you are with ANZ Breakfree, get the Black, the $55 annual fee is worth it. That its also $65 for an additional cardholder, probably isnt. I am thinking we are already giving them $375 per annum!

Agreed. If eligible the ANZ card is now a particularly good one to pickup. Additional cardholder rewards fee has always been a peeve of mine but can be overcome with Android/Apple pay or ANZ's own terrible app which works for my myself and my partner. Backup fee free citibank signature if physical card required.

With Visa and MasterCard earn rates getting slashed you might consider applying for a new credit card with a great sign on bonus for a modest fee. Always better to pick up a big new sign on than work with earning miserable points each month.

With Visa and MasterCard earn rates getting slashed you might consider applying for a new credit card with a great sign on bonus for a modest fee. Always better to pick up a big new sign on than work with earning miserable points each month.

I only just got the NAB, ANZ Adventures for the points and Westpac Black (as an existing member for the first year free) a month ago to compliment my new Amex Edge. Still trying to figure out if the I should keep any or just stick to the Citi Signature Free for Life for the transactions which can't use my Amex Edge. Help! hehe

I only just got the NAB, ANZ Adventures for the points and Westpac Black (as an existing member for the first year free) a month ago to compliment my new Amex Edge. Still trying to figure out if the I should keep any or just stick to the Citi Signature Free for Life for the transactions which can't use my Amex Edge. Help! hehe

You are nuts to give up the ANZ adventures, the no overseas fee and free flight pretty much makes it a winner, and its a better earn rate than the citi Signature (albeit the cap). Anything Citi earns better points on, is trumped by your AMEX
In your scenario, Citi is only good for when you pass the ANZ monthly cap, except when paying any Govt.

How complicated is it for you now?

Agreed. If eligible the ANZ card is now a particularly good one to pickup. Additional cardholder rewards fee has always been a peeve of mine but can be overcome with Android/Apple pay or ANZ's own terrible app which works for my myself and my partner. Backup fee free citibank signature if physical card required.

You sir are a genius, I never thought of that! I have the ANZ Travellers, but I wont stump up for the additional cardholder and the Kitchen Ops Manager has a new iphone.

Now I just need to teach her how to use it... wait i just remembered why I didnt think of this before.

Whilst they are yet to announce any chances, perhaps there won't be any, I'd be putting in a vote for the Coles Rewards Mastercard. Failing that ANZ black or adventures.

The best value is surely, is to keep a couple of good AMEX cards in your wallet (the Edge, Explorer and Charge have my vote) and then churn VISA/MC for your backup spends. Of course, I fully admit that this technique isn't for everyone!

How about the visa amplify signature cards. 90,000 amplify points (45k ff points) then 0.825 points/$ (when factoring in 10% bday bonus). ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back