Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Which credit cards give travellers insurance on FF redemptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterix

I know that the Citibank Platinum, Signature and Prestige cards insurance covers FF redemptions if you transferred points from the card to your FF program within one year of booking your FF flight.

coles525

Established Member
Ive read on with BankWest (platinum), or anz. It says somewhere if points were used (overseas travel insurance).

hossein_au

Established Member
I had a flight to Europe; Aus-LHR using points and fees charged to AmEx Plat Edge. Then, LHR to Germany, return, fees fully charged to the same card. Followed by Germany to Portugal, return, fees fully charged to the same card. Had an incident in Portugal, and have lodged a claim. I am still awaiting response. What are my chances?

zainman

Established Member
I had a flight to Europe; Aus-LHR using points and fees charged to AmEx Plat Edge. Then, LHR to Germany, return, fees fully charged to the same card. Followed by Germany to Portugal, return, fees fully charged to the same card. Had an incident in Portugal, and have lodged a claim. I am still awaiting response. What are my chances?
Does the insurance policy mention award bookings?

SimonF

I know that the Citibank Platinum, Signature and Prestige cards insurance covers FF redemptions if you transferred points from the card to your FF program within one year of booking your FF flight.
I'll have to take a look at this. So restricted to sq va and cx redemptions I guess.

Alanslegal

Anz requires a spend of $250 ore more prior to travel for cover to be activated.

Ghostdunks

Does anyone have a list?
In the past I've used Bankwest Platinum, Westpac Altitude Black, and ANZ Black, mainly because they require prior prepaid spend on the cards of $500(Bankwest and Westpac) or $250(ANZ), and don't actually require the flights themselves to be booked on the card. After taxes on FF redemptions and/or prepaid accomodation, this usually satisfies the $ spend requirement on those particular cards.

Have never actually used the travel insurance component of my Citibank Signature card because I've never actually acquired the FF redemptions through Citibank or via transfer from citibank points warehouse to the FF program as I've acquired the bulk of my points from my other credit cards. Their criteria for travel insurance activation is a bit more onerous for me so have never depended on that, I prefer the other cards where I just have to spend $X amount on other prepaid travel costs to activate.

asterix

I'll have to take a look at this. So restricted to sq va and cx redemptions I guess.
Any FF program that you can transfer to with a Citibank card that offers travel insurance. So SQ, VA, CX, QF and Emirates depending which card you have.

hossein_au

Established Member
In the past I've used Bankwest Platinum, Westpac Altitude Black, and ANZ Black, mainly because they require prior prepaid spend on the cards of $500(Bankwest and Westpac) or $250(ANZ), and don't actually require the flights themselves to be booked on the card. After taxes on FF redemptions and/or prepaid accomodation, this usually satisfies the $ spend requirement on those particular cards.

Have never actually used the travel insurance component of my Citibank Signature card because I've never actually acquired the FF redemptions through Citibank or via transfer from citibank points warehouse to the FF program as I've acquired the bulk of my points from my other credit cards. Their criteria for travel insurance activation is a bit more onerous for me so have never depended on that, I prefer the other cards where I just have to spend $X amount on other prepaid travel costs to activate.
I had never had to claim any insurance, and I was under the impression that most (all?) Plat cards provide some sort of travel insurance. If AmEx Edge denies the claim, I will feel let down (because I did put all my travel airfares and hotels on the card, and the points I used to pay for part payment of part of the itinerary were accrued by flighting flights purchased using the same card). I might seriously look elsewhere for all my future travel purchases if they deny the claim.

bismarck

Established Member
I had never had to claim any insurance, and I was under the impression that most (all?) Plat cards provide some sort of travel insurance. If AmEx Edge denies the claim, I will feel let down (because I did put all my travel airfares and hotels on the card, and the points I used to pay for part payment of part of the itinerary were accrued by flighting flights purchased using the same card). I might seriously look elsewhere for all my future travel purchases if they deny the claim.
I would not be holding my breath. Amex Plat Edge have a pretty bad rap for their CC travel insurance.

A quick glance at the policy seems to indicate that the flights must have been paid for, in their entirety, with either cash (charged to the card) or Amex MR points transferred to the program.

So I'd expect that if the total of Amex points transferred to the relevant airline doesn't equal the points cost of the ticket, they will try to deny it.

Fingers crossed it doesn't play out this way though. I have never had much luck with Amex insurance (usually purchase protection, rather than travel).

Qantas
LT Silver
Have you got any sort of original or extant pdf that you can refer to?

Ghostdunks

I had never had to claim any insurance, and I was under the impression that most (all?) Plat cards provide some sort of travel insurance. If AmEx Edge denies the claim, I will feel let down
With any of these credit card travel insurances, you really have to look at the fine print in the PDS to make sure you at least activate/trigger the insurance cover, as they all differ between all the different cards and financial providers. Then once that is confirmed, then you need to make sure that the incident you're claiming for is covered as well, once again, all the different cards have different coverage.

hossein_au

Established Member
With any of these credit card travel insurances, you really have to look at the fine print in the PDS to make sure you at least activate/trigger the insurance cover, as they all differ between all the different cards and financial providers. Then once that is confirmed, then you need to make sure that the incident you're claiming for is covered as well, once again, all the different cards have different coverage.
That is a very sound advice. I am not holding my breath, but I am hoping for a outcome based on common-man logic (I know I'm asking for too much though ;-) ).

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louie-m

Currently Active Users