Whats Better BA or QF Metal? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Whats Better BA or QF Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdenvxman

Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
151
Im going to have a couple of options to fly BA or QF in coach for a RTW, I have never been in a QF 744ER nor a BA 747. Would like your thoughts
 

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
3,315
I've recently done both. I did SYD-SIN on a QF 744 and BKK-SYD on a BA 744 (both in economy). Both products have improved quite a bit. Not long ago QF offered one of the poorest long hail economy products, however it's not so bad now (still has nothing on the big Asian players).

If I had to do it again I'd take the QF product over the BA. BA's IFE doesn't quite match QF's (especially if you're lucky enough to get the new on-demand system). While the BA crew's seem slightly better, the actual meal service is better on QF (although BA are much more free-flowing with the alcohol.)

Overall both products are quite similar so I wouldn't pick one over the other if it meant changing your own schedules or spending more money. But if it's an easy choice, go with Qantas.
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
I really like BA WT+, but don't like WT (Y) too much.

Qantas has better seating IMHO in Y, and the Qantas headrest is better than the BA one. Definately the alcohol flows better on BA, and I think the BA staff move around a little bit more during the flight than Qantas staffers.

Food is relatively similar.

I would choose Qantas in Y over BA in Y.
 

raccoon111

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
48
Slightly better catering on QF I think. And the ice cream is a nice touch. Slightly OT, do excess baggage privilieges for PS/QC apply when flying QF codeshare on BA metal on the Kangaroo route?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Don't be concerned with the QF744-ER. Inside the aircraft, you would not know whether it is an -ER or not. The cabins are identical to the non-ER 3-class versions.

In economy, I would say BA and QF are very similar. I would chose based on which one will give you beast seating opportunity - QF if high QF FF status so you can pre-allocate exit rows, or BA if no or little status so you can use on-line checkin to snag a good seat before the crows arrive at the airport.
 

holdenvxman

Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
151
Thank you all for your thoughts I have the option to change to QF from LHR to SIN and from what you have all said I might do tha. I am a QC member and would rather pick my own seats,

Exit Row?
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
Interesting replies in here. Has anyone flown both in J? Would QF still be the Metal of choice?
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
holdenvxman said:
Thank you all for your thoughts I have the option to change to QF from LHR to SIN and from what you have all said I might do tha. I am a QC member and would rather pick my own seats,

Exit Row?
If you are travelling and want an exit row, then I would suggest going BA. You have a decent chance of nabbing one if you make sure to use OLCI at 24 hours prior to departure

Dave
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
OH and by the way, Welcome holdenvxman,

I am sure you will find this group very helpful, I know I have!

I am guessing you are in BNE (From your other post) there are a few people in the group from that part of the woods, so they should be able to help you with regional specific questions.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
v8Statesman said:
Interesting replies in here. Has anyone flown both in J? Would QF still be the Metal of choice?
This is an easy one for me, BA on a long flight. The BA beds beat QF skybeds. I like the way that the BA beds go horizontal, rather than sloping like QFs

Dave
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
This is an easy one for me, BA on a long flight. The BA beds beat QF skybeds. I like the way that the BA beds go horizontal, rather than sloping like QFs

Dave
Now that throws a spanner in the works. As you may know (from my other post) I am trying to advancemy waitlist on QF 5 & 9. I may change Metal to BA from SYD-SIN but I still want to take a shot at upgrade on SIN-LHR
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
v8Statesman said:
Now that throws a spanner in the works. As you may know (from my other post) I am trying to advancemy waitlist on QF 5 & 9. I may change Metal to BA from SYD-SIN but I still want to take a shot at upgrade on SIN-LHR
I can't see why it will throw a spanner in the works.

Both BA and QF are notorious for being difficult to get op-ups on. So the best way to upgrade is by using points or other aspects of the respective FF programs.

Neither carrier lets you upgrade on the codeshare flight. If you want to upgrade on the BA flight you need to be booked on the BA code and be using aspects of the BAEC program to do it. Likewise with the QF flight, you need to be booked under the QF code and using either QF FF points or UC's to upgrade.

Not overly sure of how far either of the programs have you sucked in (oops, I meant to say how much value you hold with each program) but most people do not have the option of choosing their flights based upon a realistic expectation of an upgrade.

Dave
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
Not overly sure of how far either of the programs have you sucked in (oops, I meant to say how much value you hold with each program) but most people do not have the option of choosing their flights based upon a realistic expectation of an upgrade.
I am PS on QANTAS with 140,000 points to burn. I want to use the points to upgrade QF9 to First. the SYD-SIN I don't care much about.

My DONE4 will shoot me to SG by LHR and WP some time before it all is over.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
v8Statesman said:
Now that throws a spanner in the works. As you may know (from my other post) I am trying to advancemy waitlist on QF 5 & 9. I may change Metal to BA from SYD-SIN but I still want to take a shot at upgrade on SIN-LHR
Personally, I'd say to take BA J and save the points for another day (and when WP and have a better waitlist chance). SIN-LHR is a night flight and both are equally comfortable imo for sleeping on since they are both horizontal. Being PS at time of requesting the upgrade makes the odds of getting the upgrade fairly low for that flight

Dave
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
I would pick QF over BA for both Y and J.

Yes, BA J is flat - but the seats are also just as narrow as WT+.
I'm not wide, but I still don't like feeling cramped.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
v8Statesman said:
Interesting replies in here. Has anyone flown both in J? Would QF still be the Metal of choice?
For overnight flights I also prefer BA for the flat bed. However for any flight where I'll be sitting up for most of the time I much prefer QF's J cabin over BA's. Everything is within easy reach in the skybed seat and it feels much more private than the BA seating arrangement where half the pax are facing you. I also rate QF's catering above BA's, and for breakfast they have Vegemite. :D

BA's crew are slightly cheerier though.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Yada Yada said:
For overnight flights I also prefer BA for the flat bed. However for any flight where I'll be sitting up for most of the time I much prefer QF's J cabin over BA's. Everything is within easy reach in the skybed seat and it feels much more private than the BA seating arrangement where half the pax are facing you. I also rate QF's catering above BA's, and for breakfast they have Vegemite. :D

BA's crew are slightly cheerier though.

Similar to my views. BA Bed is great for sleeping and I have not found the seats narrow. I actually like the facing seats with a privacy divider and find it feels more private than the QF layout though.

On a day flight , I would take QF since I do find the meals seem slightly nicer. Given that SIN-LHR is an evil night flight, I would take the BA bed over the QF skybed every time

Dave
 

v8Statesman

Established Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
2,199
Flights
My Map
odoherty said:
I would pick QF over BA for both Y and J.

Yes, BA J is flat - but the seats are also just as narrow as WT+.
I'm not wide, but I still don't like feeling cramped.
I am wide :(

I fit very nicely into a skybed. I also have no trouble with the Domestic 73H's (Remember what thoes seats are called). Q Y on the other hand is a painfull way for me to travel. I avoid it were possible.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
v8Statesman said:
I am wide :(

I fit very nicely into a skybed. I also have no trouble with the Domestic 73H's (Remember what thoes seats are called). Q Y on the other hand is a painfull way for me to travel. I avoid it were possible.
Don't worry, Club World seats are wider than WT+ seats. On BA
Economy seats are 17.5" wide, WT+ are 18.5" wide ,CW seats are 20" wide and 1st are 21" wide

Dave
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
349
NM said:
Don't be concerned with the QF744-ER. Inside the aircraft, you would not know whether it is an -ER or not. The cabins are identical to the non-ER 3-class versions.
NM :D :shock:

You can actually tell whether you're on a 744ER or standard 744 [while inside]. All you do need is look up.. -400E/Rs have the 777 style overhead bins while the 744 have the standard ones.

Wunala Dreaming
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,220
Messages
1,872,338
Members
49,052
Latest member
charles182
Top