Status
Not open for further replies.

kamchatsky

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
With the current Membership Rewards promotion, I am sure a lot of people are getting a lot of points from AMEX. So before I get to the point, I want to say this:

Thank you AMEX! We now ONLY shop at places that takes Amex, and I have walked out of places where they don't take Amex (previously I would have just shown my Visa card), so your promotion is definitely working! Please do not change your promotion!

Anyway, I want to start a new thread, "what will you do with MR points?" because the current promotion thread is way too long and I thought it would be good to start a new thread discussing how to use these points ....

Anyway, here is what I will do with my points (for now) ...

Yesterday my wife transfer all her MR points (116K) from Amex to QF (a lot of them from bonuses). We decided to transfer them first just in case Amex does some dodgy thing and reverse everything (for whatever reason). We will transfer further 25000 to QF once it comes into MR .... The reason for transfering to QF for now is as follows:

- I already have about 106K QF points, with 15K Citibank points and a number of my family members who will transfer their points to me (I paid for their tickets) to make is about 142500 points for 1 * Y RTW ticket.

- In the short term we are aiming at 2 * Y RYW tickets from QFF points (yes I know, all of u who flies J and F regularly will laugh at me). So we need another 142500 points for 2 * RTW.

- I want to burn my QF points ASAP, and this is the best way to burn it :) with a lot of fuel fines of course .....

- Just in case they do cap at 40K points (although technically they cannot do this) then I can at least get something out of it.

From my understanding is that AA is technically better program that QF because of lack fuel fines on their award tickets. But I go against it for now because I have never used AA for redemption so I don't have too much experience with them. Also the special rate for Amex->SPG finishes at end of september which is not really enough time for me to accumulate them to get 2 * Y RTW tickets at AA.

In the long run if the promotion actually continue as is then I will aim at 2 * J RTW tickets, not sure whether to put it in QF, or SQ or SPG->AA or CX yet .... SQ was looking good until their "enhancements" to the program, as well as lack of non-A380/B77W flights to Europe and from Sydney for any flights under SQ ..... Which would still be better? Would AA still be good value after 30 September, with Amex-> SPG revert back to 1000:330 points? Any opinions on this?

So here it is, my short term target is 2 * Y RTW from Qantas ....

What will you redeem on? Flights? Hotels? Gift vouchers?

My points go from Amex to SPG to AA for flight redemptions. But I do have AA EXP status and lots of AA miles earned from BIS travel. So the MR points are just supplementing the other miles earned in the traditional/legacy manner.

I currently have 140K AAmiles plus 72 stickers that can be converted to miles so effectively have 176K AAmiles at the moment.

I am hoping to flick another 50K to AA this week and potentially another few to SPG at the end of the week and then on to AA.

This will give me around 240K AAmiles for two return flights to the UK either next year or in 2010.

I also have two potential trips that could net me 51K AAmiles. If those trips are confirmed I am then only 30K miles shy of syd-lhr-syd in First - which is very tempting.

I though might stop at the points for a J seat and see how my MR balance is shaping up - going direct to Virgin Atlantic is a definite option for me

So in answer to your question - I don't know where my points will end up :)

All my points will be going to QF

As it is, and has been for over a year between my partner and myself we average 6 transactions a day on the Amex, so potentially this could be a nice little point earner. The only change to our spend pattern now will be if a place doesnt accept Amex, instead of ripping the Visa/MC/or heaven forbid the Diners, we will go elsewhere (if an option). Oh, and instead of getting petrol once a week (approx $70-80) I will be filling up 2-3 times in smaller amounts (a small time sacrifice - however the benefits outweigh this)

Points will be used mainly for one way SYD-LAX flights for the minister of war and finance, in Y+ or J as my flights are normally paid for, and if I use points it is for upgrade purposes only (return flights are always via HNL on AA or HA, then JQ or HA)

That's cool, sure everyone has different thinking of how to use these points.

But I am sure that there are a lot of lurkers here who are not regular fliers and want to know the best way to use these points, that's where your expertise comes in play .... to help people who are not that well off (ie less credit card spending, as well as no flying) a chance to fly to where they really want to fly (I know some people who have NEVER left Australia before) ....... Let's do our best to help these people to "maxmimise" their points ..... This will get this forum even more popular :)

Just my 2 cents - equivalent to 1000 MR points in MYREWARD promotion :)

I haven't made up my mind on my points yet, but I iamgine with the approach of the Christmas season, some of them may be accounted ofr there.

But I am sure that there are a lot of lurkers here who are not regular fliers and want to know the best way to use these points, that's where your expertise comes in play .... to help people who are not that well off (ie less credit card spending, as well as no flying) a chance to fly to where they really want to fly (I know some people who have NEVER left Australia before) ....... Let's do our best to help these people to "maxmimise" their points ..... This will get this forum even more popular :)

I agree - that's why I showed the multiple options I am considering.

Is the Amex MR - SPG promo still on until end of September? The Amex website says you get 330 SPG points for 1000 MR points. I can't see any reference to getting 600 SPG points.

The AA award chart looks great! Getting J to Asia for 70K is awesome. It seems you can also get Y to North America (including New York) for 75K return? That's so much less than Qantas!

Are there other ways to get AA points other than via SPG? A 0.6 conversion rate is significantly more than a 0.33 rate.

In some ways, it just seems "safer" to transfer to Qantas.

Is the Amex MR - SPG promo still on until end of September? The Amex website says you get 330 SPG points for 1000 MR points. I can't see any reference to getting 600 SPG points.
I just went to the Amex MR site to transfer points to SPG and this is what is displayed:
Amex MR site]
Enter the points to transfer
Minimum of 1,000
Increments of 100
100 Membership Rewards Points = 60 Starwood Points
So I would say the previous information provided by Amex that the 1000:600 transfer rate is valid until the end of September is accurate.
The AA award chart looks great! Getting J to Asia for 70K is awesome. It seems you can also get Y to North America (including New York) for 75K return? That's so much less than Qantas!
You are preaching to the converted here.
Are there other ways to get AA points other than via SPG? A 0.6 conversion rate is significantly more than a 0.33 rate.
There is always the good old traditional method of flying. Most of my AA miles balance has come through flying with OneWorld airlines.

Diners Club also has the ability to transfer to AAdvantage (2:1 I think from memory).
In some ways, it just seems "safer" to transfer to Qantas.
Only you can be the judge of that.

Just be aware that under certain circumstances, Amex can pull your points out from whomever you transfer them to.

I am not sure that they can do that. If I move points to SPG and then AA (which is normal practice rather than being dodgy) how do Amex get the points?

I am not sure that they can do that. If I move points to SPG and then AA (which is normal practice rather than being dodgy) how do Amex get the points?

Hi,

I also beleive that once points have left MR they are out of reach of Amex.

Back OT however, I plan on using the points to take mrs ejb and I on our first trip to Europe, flying F hopefully. I already have over 400000 points so this promo will top it off nicely to get two rtn Syd-Lhr.

Now here's hoping that QF will let me have two F seats rtn.:)

ejb

=edison;192115]With the current Membership Rewards promotion, I am sure a lot of people are getting a lot of points from AMEX. So before I get to the point, I want to say this:

Thank you AMEX! We now ONLY shop at places that takes Amex, and I have walked out of places where they don't take Amex (previously I would have just shown my Visa card), so your promotion is definitely working! Please do not change your promotion!

Anyway, I want to start a new thread, "what will you do with MR points?" because the current promotion thread is way too long and I thought it would be good to start a new thread discussing how to use these points ....

First of all DITTO what Edison says in red! :mrgreen: Thank you Amex! I too am using my Amex exclusively and walking out of places that don't take it.

I am also trying to figure this out. I will have AA Platinum (challenge in Oct/Nov) so the trips we do in 2009 will be paid mileage accruing to take advanatge of Plat 100% bonus.

We have a trip to Morocco/Canary Islands in Sep 2010 planned so I am wondering if we can do anything there. I have no clue how many miles we would need. The other dilemma is that the Amex is in my name so I can only transfer points to my FF accounts, not my husband's (or at least I don't think so). I have been usiing Amex MR points for PC and SPG hotel awards but I have checked all the cities we wil be in the next two years and after one last transfer to SPG, we will have enough to get the desired hotel awards.

SPG-AA won't be so good next month when it goes back to 1000:330. So we need a new idea to help us get to Morocco!

AA has South Pacific to Africa at 75,000 but there is a ^ there which I don't unerstand. Europe is 90,000. RJ would go to Casablanca.

The problem is you need 60,000 SPG to get 75,000 AA ( I think) but would need just over 180,000 MR to get 60,000 SPG at the usual 1000:330 rate which would be impossible for us once the promo is over.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Virgin said EK to Casablanca would be 155,000 Velocity Miles.

What do you guys do about your spouses? I assume this is common for you business travellers, all the miles are in YOUR account, not your spouse's.

Now here's hoping that QF will let me have two F seats rtn.:)
That is going to be the big challenge, especially if you want to travel on the same flights. Converting MR points to QF points is easy. Converting QF points to two F seats to Europe is more challenging.

That is going to be the big challenge, especially if you want to travel on the same flights. Converting MR points to QF points is easy. Converting QF points to two F seats to Europe is more challenging.

Hi NM,

"How to get 2 F seats to LHR?" will become the title of a thread after all the points have been transferred and I will be relying on all the groups knowledge to get me and mrs ejb to London (i'm sure there will be some interesting routing);)

ejb

Hi NM,

"How to get 2 F seats to LHR?" will become the title of a thread after all the points have been transferred and I will be relying on all the groups knowledge to get me and mrs ejb to London (i'm sure there will be some interesting routing);)

ejb

Easy. Use Qantas "anyseat" award :)
Of course, that be be equivalent of like 4 million points for return.

I bit the bullet! Transferred 100,000 MR to SPG.

I note that SPG gives you 5,000 bonus for every 20,000 transferred to AA.

So 60,000 SPG = 75,000 AA. :)

I just joined AA online - seems that you can only book award tickets out of Australia by calling them. Is there any additional charge to booking award flights by phone?

I have no idea where we'll end up going for our next big trip (and therefore next big points redemption), we have a child on the way which seems to complicate things (but in a good way!) :D

The plan is to spend some Velocity points on a quick trip down to Esperance to see how we go at traveling with a child. After that not sure... I think the best value redemption is 35k to Tahiti in J (SQ Star Alliance redemption) but probably not suitable for us. Maybe driving around Britain and Ireland given enough points?

Tiki said:
What do you guys do about your spouses? I assume this is common for you business travellers, all the miles are in YOUR account, not your spouse's.

Most of the points are in my account, my wife has some Qantas points which we combine using a family transfer and then redeem from my account. But we may have a problem in the future - the Citibank card is in my wife's name, the Amex is in my name, if we transfer both to SQ how do we combine them?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back