What will happen to the complimentary Virgin flights redeemed thru ANZ Travel Rewards and Amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deskorpio

Had anyone booked their complimentary Virgin domestic flights to originally flying this month, but got canceled by the airline? what did ANZ do about it? Are we still dealing with ANZ or now with Virgin directly re the travel bank or refund?

I have upcoming trip in July using the comp tickets that was booked last year. Just wondering what will happen to the ticket?
Thanks!

P.s. also would be interested to know what happens with the Amex Velocity comp flights

All I got was a Va travel credit to the value of the flights

there has been mention of this elsewhere - peoples experiences have varied, but I have heard of no case where ANZ travel has given the cliient the bird.
They are extending the benefit time, changing the booking. or whatever suits.

I rang MasterCard travel (a travel agent in St Leonards, Sydney, it appears), as they were the ones who sent me the booking confirmation and etkt. No problem as VA had cancelled the flights (MEL-PER-MEL) and I've got a travel credit with the MC travel mob. I was concerned a complicating factor was going to be that I'd cancelled the ANZ card not long after booking the flights, but not mentioned.

The real question now will be whether that credit can only be used in the future on VA. If it exists as a generic travel credit hopefully I can use it on QF if the worst happens to VA.

You need to arrange cancellation/amendment through ANZ - both ANZ and VA fees were waived when I cancelled my MEL-CNS leaving in late May returning late July, a couple of weeks ago. I was given a $ credit for use within 12 months of my original booking, which may not benefit the OP.

Thank you to everyone who had responded! Looked like most people got travel credits either with VA or with MC travel provider? But With the news of VA being voluntarily administrated now, i wonder what will happen to these travel credits arrangements now.

You're flights will be at the bottom of the list to sort out. The Virgin board and CEO and now not the decision makers at Virgin so money will override goodwill to customers or potential customers.

Best go back to the bank and see what they can offer you as an alternative.

Last edited:
FWIW, Virgin have started today that credits are safe, but as has been mentioned, this is now out of their hands. Usually once a company enters Voluntary Administration, credits such as these are not honoured, but it may be in the best interest of the business going forward to honour them, albeit likely at a reduced rate. We will have to wait and see.

Conflating the two is not very helpful, plenty of companies come out of administration. Admittedly plenty don't but let's take one step at a time. At the moment there still seems a reasonable chance Virgin will still exist at the end of this, though in what form is very much the question of the day.

I received this email yesterday with no action on my part before this.

I booked my flight last year for late May this year...

Due to COVID-19, Virgin Australia have stopped all of their flights both domestic and international. Your booking has been put into a credit status for future use. You have until 27 Feb 2021 to book and complete travel. When you are ready to use this credit and book in your new dates, please call us on 02 7922 0020 and quote your booking number above.

The airline will not charge you any change fees, however if there are any fare and tax differences for the new dates you request, that will apply.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to give us a call to discuss further.

I received this email yesterday with no action on my part before this.

I booked my flight last year for late May this year...
Thanks for sharing that, Mate. I havent received the email as my travel date is in July. I wonder if it will have to be for the same destination though.

timing of my email might suggest ~4wks before your flight you might receive this email.
my flight was 21st May, email came 24th April.

yes, no destination etc mentioned. might need to be the same you're right

I hadn’t booked a flight.

It wasn’t likely to be of any use to me anyway so I used that as an excuse to be entitled to an annual fee refund.

The refund was duly processed in to my newly opened FF black card account and the traveller card is now closed.

I did also ask for lounge passes but doubt I will ever see them.

75000 V points, zero fee!...

I got the same thing, I wonder whether anyone have time and want to ask ANZ for an annual fee refund? It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yes, I rang yesterday and had annual fee refunded but not the rewards program fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back