What careers let you fly a lot | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

What careers let you fly a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

leny

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
308
I am only young, and i love flying on planes. What career requires you travel on planes a lot, as that would be my dream career.:)
Also, I heard that people can fly on airplanes and then write up long reports about the service. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks in advance.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,616
leny said:
I am only young, and i love flying on planes. What career requires you travel on planes a lot, as that would be my dream career.:)
Also, I heard that people can fly on airplanes and then write up long reports about the service. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks in advance.
Stating the obvious Pilots or Flight Attendants would rate at the top of the list, but then you would be working most of the time in the air.

The next job would be one of those men of mystery, the air marshal's who fly around Australia keeping the sky free of those who like to cause harm and mayhem.

Another one would be a fifo (fly in, fly out) miner or support staff to mining ie almost any type of job accountant, cleaner, cook, electrician, engineer can get a job in the mines. You just have to make sure it is a fifo job not residential or drive in drive out. The fifo guys fly anywhere between twice a week to twice every three weeks.

Other than that I would suggest you find a job as a salesperson that requires interstate and overseas travel, or you become some type of technical expert that involves you having to fly to places that need your assistance.

Finally, the best job would become a federal politician, business class flights, CL membership, com cars, people fighting to give you tickets to the AFL Grand Final, Grand Prix, Tennis, Opera, etc etc etc, and dont forget the overseas study trips nee junkets. However if this seems a little to far away at present, get a job as a staffer to a politician who needs you in Canberra so you get to fly with them.

Regards to the report writing that would be similar to the mystery shopper and those gigs are few and far between.

Reggie
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
I am of the opinion that for most people, flying is something that the more you do, the less you like doing.

The gloss wears off very quickly.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,806
Flights
My Map
Commuter said:
I am of the opinion that for most people, flying is something that the more you do, the less you like doing.

The gloss wears off very quickly.
Aviation is one of the few professions where people (pilots) practise their profession, which is also their passion, in their spare time.:cool: :cool:
 

Commuter

Active Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
793
straitman said:
Aviation is one of the few professions where people (pilots) practise their profession, which is also their passion, in their spare time.:cool: :cool:
Tell that to a lot of my friends though... I've had enough of their whinges! :mrgreen:
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
leny said:
I am only young, and i love flying on planes. What career requires you travel on planes a lot, as that would be my dream career.:)
Also, I heard that people can fly on airplanes and then write up long reports about the service. Does anyone know anything about that?
There are people on this forum who fly on airplanes and then write up long reports about the service. :D But I don't think they get paid for it.

Commuter said:
I am of the opinion that for most people, flying is something that the more you do, the less you like doing.

The gloss wears off very quickly.
Exactly, and not just for the person flying but also their family. :-|
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Yada Yada said:
There are people on this forum who fly on airplanes and then write up long reports about the service. :D But I don't think they get paid for it.
Well I certainly don't. But I think leny is referring to mystery flyers (like mystery shoppers).
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Kiwi Flyer said:
Well I certainly don't. But I think leny is referring to mystery flyers (like mystery shoppers).
But you should be paid. Perhaps Admin could put you on the payroll?

Do they really have mystery flyers? What a job! It'd be a bit like the McDonalds mystery shoppers - it would wear thin (or fat) very quickly. :mad:
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
Do they really have mystery flyers? What a job! It'd be a bit like the McDonalds mystery shoppers - it would wear thin (or fat) very quickly. :mad:
Yeah they do. I think I sat next to one (she was not so subtle!) when flying domestic last year once.

She had this piece of paper which she kept bringing out after each part of the flight, making notes and ticking boxes. Quite funny to see.

Mind you, some of our Trip reports probably scare Flight crews. Making notes in notepads every now and again does also trigger suspicion sometimes.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Mal said:
Making notes in notepads every now and again does also trigger suspicion sometimes.
Maybe I should doing that and see if I get better service ;)
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
simongr said:
Maybe I should doing that and see if I get better service ;)
Heh heh... it's not a bad idea. :D Perhaps we should create a standard form with tickboxes etc, with a bold heading (e.g. FF Flight Service Report) and distribute it amongst ourselves. It wouldn't take long to get noticed by observant crews. :mrgreen:
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
leny said:
I am only young, and i love flying on planes. What career requires you travel on planes a lot, as that would be my dream career.:)

Thanks in advance.
The question is - do you want to fly on planes or travel on planes? Simply flying is often quite a tedious experience and generally quite a hassle. I had a lot of regional flights for a period and it was like getting on a bus by the end of it.

What is still amazing for me is the travel and work itself. Waking up one day in Tokyo looking out over the imperial gardens and then getting a BBQ pork bun in Hong Kong whilst planning which comic shops to visit in New York (whilst diverting to Tiffany to keep mrssimongr happy) is what I love.

My career as an auditor/head of audit facilitates that at the moment. ANd I will definitely look in my next roles to include travel. However the further up the chain you go - on some levels the less opportunity for really enjoying the travel.

S
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,263
Messages
1,873,848
Members
49,115
Latest member
ASimpleMind
Top