What card next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clive005

Hi all I think it's time to get some more CC sign up points, I have a Virgin Australia visa and a velocity Amex platinum. I'm mainly concentrate on velocity but may be time to chase some Quantas points also. I have had current cards for about 2 years any recommendations would be greatly apriciated

For VA points- I'd say the NAB platinum rewards - 80,000 points converts to 40,000 VA points & no annual fee for the first year if you apply by the end of the month.

And, make sure you have a flybuys card in your wallet :D

If you're interested in Qantas points then the ANZ Frequent Flyer Black card is one of the better options out there at the moment. 75K points and no annual fee in the first year.

You should familiarize yourself with the Qantas page for all credit card offers at the moment: https://www.qantaspoints.com/earn-points/cards-banking/card-selector

Virgin has a much smaller list here: https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/Specials/CreditCards/

The above are all direct earn cards (you will note this is almost exclusively how Qantas likes to roll, whereas Virgin likes you to earn vanilla reward points and then transfer them across - which makes sense to do when they run one of their bonuses - which is actually running this month.

Apart from that, peruse the ausbt and pointhacks websites. And then make up your own mind on which card is best for you.

Don't expect (or ask) for anyone to spoon feed you financial advice.

The AMEX Velocity Platinum has got to be the best deal at the moment, with a 100k point signon bonus, unfortunately no good for you as you've already got it, but for anyone else looking it is certainly a great deal.

For you the best options at the moment might be the NAB card (40k points + first year free) mentioned above or the Westpac Altitude Black (40k VA pts / 80k QF pts - $200 annual fee first year). Neither of these offers really excite me for VA points, especially with the current AMEX offer, of 100k pts, so I think I'd wait a few months until something better comes along (if you are not in a rush). The recent ANZ adventures deal of 60k Velocity points wasn't bad and I'm sure there will be more lucrative offers come on line in the next few months.

Edit: For completeness there is also the ANZ deal for the ANZ Black rewards card. The 75k ANZ points on offer converts to 37.5k VA points - no annual fee for the first year too.

The AMEX Velocity Platinum has got to be the best deal at the moment, with a 100k point signon bonus, unfortunately no good for you as you've already got it, but for anyone else looking it is certainly a great deal.

For you the best options at the moment might be the NAB card (40k points + first year free) mentioned above or the Westpac Altitude Black (40k VA pts / 80k QF pts - $200 annual fee first year). Neither of these offers really excite me for VA points, especially with the current AMEX offer, of 100k pts, so I think I'd wait a few months until something better comes along (if you are not in a rush). The recent ANZ adventures deal of 60k Velocity points wasn't bad and I'm sure there will be more lucrative offers come on line in the next few months.

Edit: For completeness there is also the ANZ deal for the ANZ Black rewards card. The 75k ANZ points on offer converts to 37.5k VA points - no annual fee for the first year too.

For extra completeness :) the other advantage of the NAB is that there's no waiting period you need to sit out before applying again (for example, ANZ makes you wait 12 months per reward type, AMEX generally18 months). This will be my 4th application, and I am well behind others here! But YMMV: responsible credit management and all that!

For extra completeness :) the other advantage of the NAB is that there's no waiting period you need to sit out before applying again (for example, ANZ makes you wait 12 months per reward type, AMEX generally18 months). This will be my 4th application, and I am well behind others here! But YMMV: responsible credit management and all that!

yes yes indeed. A very good feature, one that should be encouraged among card issuers!

Wasn't aware of that with NAB - good to know.

Thanks all for the replies, Nab with the no wait time befor being able to re apply sound good, wife allso has the Velocity plat may need to cancel them and start the 18 month wait time

Thanks all for the replies, Nab with the no wait time befor being able to re apply sound good, wife allso has the Velocity plat may need to cancel them and start the 18 month wait time

It's certainly worth one of the two of you dropping your AMEX's so you can start the 18 mth wait period. I always keep my cards active and cycle other household members through the wait times. Whilst this method might not maximise the sign-on bonus's, it does allow us to keep high earning cards and I get the added benefit of being able to refer them for a new card every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back