Waiver of eligibility for sign up bonus points

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rok

Established Member
Has anybody ever been successful in getting a waiver on the requirement of not holding a current Amex card now or within the past 12 months while applying for another card and securing the sign up bonus? I currently have a DJ's Platinum Amex, but I really want the Platinum American Express charge card, and its associated 80,000 Points. How strict are they on not holding a card for 12 months?

Surely that just encourages people to jump ship to the likes of Citibank for that 12 months and then risk them not coming back?

On the other thread or the plat thread is a quote by Ken Chennault himself: they don't care if you don't come back. Indeed, there are some rules to the effect that if you go, they won't let you back. Goos luck. They're as mad as hatters while they fear (or don't care) defections to new players with debit cards, apps, paypal and Wallets. They even had the perfect opportunity to go along with V & MCard to sucker the DoJ into settling, but oh no, they had to tread on snakes. Now all the merchants are looking for damages too, as the DoJ looks into all sorts of things. Best of luck.

I have held a total of 3 AMEX cards at a time and applied for them one after the other and they all said "only for new accounts". I received sign up bonuses for all 3. I did the same thing with 2 cards this year and again received sign up bonuses. I don't think they enforce that rule

A few years ago now but I received sign up bonus for Qantas Premium card at the same time I had a Gold Amex.

But I have also noticed that Amex is not as flexible any more in things such as waiving annual fees or registering a few days late for 2.99% promotions on purchases for 6 months.

I always email Amex ahead of applying to a card to get them to confirm in writing before applying.

I've had one occasion where I received the bonus automatically and another occasion where I didn't but they manually credited due to the fact that I had the written correspondence saying that they would provide the points.

On the other thread or the plat thread is a quote by Ken Chennault himself: they don't care if you don't come back. Indeed, there are some rules to the effect that if you go, they won't let you back. Goos luck. They're as mad as hatters while they fear (or don't care) defections to new players with debit cards, apps, paypal and Wallets. They even had the perfect opportunity to go along with V & MCard to sucker the DoJ into settling, but oh no, they had to tread on snakes. Now all the merchants are looking for damages too, as the DoJ looks into all sorts of things. Best of luck.

Are you on the right thread?

Are you on the right thread?

I just ignore the posts from these clowns now! Definitely off their heads. One minute telling us Amex are scum lying thieves, the next they want a card or bonus! Something not right.

Well, Amex emailed me back saying that the DJ's card is managed by a "special" team, and here is their number, go call them. So I did, and that was a bit of a wasted. The yank on the phone said no, I wouldn't be eligible (he went and read the terms & conditions on the webpage, which anybody could of done)

He kept saying to me, you need to read the Application form for the Platinum Charge Card carefully and see if you can apply in your +1's name... She only earns $65K PA so a bit short, however I think what he was alluding to was that the eligibility requirement is for a "Household Income" of more than $100,000. Of which we are over double...

So am I right in suggesting that it would be better to just apply for the Platinum Charge in her name? When really its me who will use most of the benefits as Im the one who does most of the travelling?

I rang this time last year to ask if I would be eligible for the 80000 bonus points - was told 'no'. I decided to ignore that advice (based on previous experience of always receiving the sign up bonus points) and apply anyway. I figured if I didn't get the bonus points I would cancel the card and get the annual fee refunded. Anyway, as has always been the case the points posted soon after my first purchase.
My advice, just apply for the card and cancel if you don't get the points.

Has anybody ever been successful in getting a waiver on the requirement of not holding a current Amex card now or within the past 12 months................. but I really want the Platinum American Express charge card, and its associated 80,000 Points.
I might just be forced to give this one a crack myself when I get home in 2 weeks - kicked Cent to the kerb 3 mths ago - might be time to give it a spin.

Last edited:
I've had luck in the past with co-branded cards ... never tried to get a bonus on two actual Amex supplied cards. So, for example, had a plat edge and a corp green charge, applied for a velocity and got the points. I think I had a bank branded amex when I applied for the Plat Edge too and got the points for that one as well.

I like the idea of emailing Amex first and using that response. At the very least, if it all turns pear shaped, a positive email response should assist to gain the sign on fee back if the points are not received.

I like the idea of emailing Amex first and using that response. At the very least, if it all turns pear shaped, a positive email response should assist to gain the sign on fee back if the points are not received.

Certainly email or phone Amex, however expect the answer to be a 'no', rather than a 'yes'. They will refer to the T&Cs which are fairly clear that the bonus points are for new card holders only. I have however found from my own experience that the bonus points do get posted regardless of what the T&Cs state.

I got a platinum edge with bonus then applied for green charge. Got bonus. Then rang up about annual fee and received a credit for my platinum edge fee as it's a complimentary card with the green charge card. So double sign on an total fee of $160 inc domestic flight etc.

All those folks who have received bonus Points despite being an existing customer of AMEX, do you identify yourself as a current cardholder when applying for the new card or did you just not tick that box on the form?

I applied whilst logged into my existing card.... i just assumed i wouldnt get it, but i did anyway.

All those folks who have received bonus Points despite being an existing customer of AMEX, do you identify yourself as a current cardholder when applying for the new card or did you just not tick that box on the form?

Yes, I identified as a customer and provided my existing card number (each time).

Has any AFFer NOT been an existing Amex holder - applied for Plat Card - banked pts then cancelled AND received refund annual fee by cheque post closure?

When I cancelled my Cent a few months back I was charged then refunded annual fee within a couple of days - did leave a small credit bal of $40 or so that AMEX sent to me via chq a few weeks post closure - clearly I had no other AMEX card to transfer credit into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back