Virgin loses ' too old to fly' appeal

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by Dave Noble, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Full article at Virgin loses ' too old to fly' appeal - Travel - smh.com.au

Dave

2. Maca44

Maca44 Established Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Sydney
    They probably used United Airlines as a benchmark

3. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I believe Virgin Flair is to blame. Although I don’t think discrimination is intentional, I see it as somewhat institutionalised at Virgin businesses.

Virgin Flair, as a policy, promotes DJ with a perception of - not just ageism, but also sexism and racism. Maybe in Britain (home of the page 3 girls) it makes good business sense to promote your business with young, blonde, buxom model types, but I hope, that is an image best left to the Australia of the 80’s and the online Playboy Mansion. :oops:

4. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    I don't personally see much "sexism and racism" in DJ, but the ageism is overwhelming, allied with a good dose of frivolity (lack of professionalism).

Might be OK when trying to sell pop music, but it puts me off flying with them. I fly quite a lot of LCC's (when I'm footing the bill), and in my opinion, DJ's cabin crew are the worst by a large margin. Pity really, as otherwise DJ could be quite a good airline.

5. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    For example, their website use to have different pictures of happy, smiling crew at the bottom of many pages. I just checked - they have gone now:) , but I never saw any group picture include someone who wasn’t Caucasian in appearance! Hopefully, things have already started changing.