Virgin CBR-SYD flights restarting

Inlander

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Took VA 0641 CBR-SYD this week, . Left and arrived on time with friendly Hostess and Pilots. Bus shuttle on Sydney tarmac, left gate 2 CBR.. For newbies to the Saab, wise to utilise the ear plugs on them, as they can get rather noisy. great views on this route of the Blue mountains etc for a Northern 16R approach. Just a 'Health" cookie and water offered, but what else do you want for around 40 mins in the air?

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_102656604.jpg
    IMG_20220323_102656604.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220323_111325915~2.jpg
    IMG_20220323_111325915~2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220323_103530082.jpg
    IMG_20220323_103530082.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220323_104113984.jpg
    IMG_20220323_104113984.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 19
  • saab.jpg
    saab.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 15

Happy Dude

Established Member
WRT noise levels within the Saab 340 cabin, I measured 86dBA in 2008 on a Rex flight from Mt Gambier. Such was the highly noticeable level of noise, uncomfortable even in IMO, that I was prompted to whip out my sound level meter. Looking at the data, there's a large tonal spike at 80Hz, hence the noticeable annoying character of the noise, of 108dB (~84dBA).

The WHS criteria for 8hours exposure is 85dBA. There won't be any flights long enough to exceed the criteria for pax, but crew may need to manage coughulative exposure to avoid hearing damage.

I'm happy that VA CBR-SYD flights are happening but I won't be forgetting my NC headphones (which have a frequency response of 20Hz - 20kHz).

jakeseven7

Enthusiast
WRT noise levels within the Saab 340 cabin, I measured 86dBA in 2008 on a Rex flight from Mt Gambier. Such was the highly noticeable level of noise, uncomfortable even in IMO, that I was prompted to whip out my sound level meter. Looking at the data, there's a large tonal spike at 80Hz, hence the noticeable annoying character of the noise, of 108dB (~84dBA).

The WHS criteria for 8hours exposure is 85dBA. There won't be any flights long enough to exceed the criteria for pax, but crew may need to manage coughulative exposure to avoid hearing damage.

I'm happy that VA CBR-SYD flights are happening but I won't be forgetting my NC headphones (which have a frequency response of 20Hz - 20kHz).

Somehow I don’t think the APS staff will flood to this service.

Harrison_133

Nice that you at least get a free cookie (and earplugs!) on these flights. You don't get any food for free on VA mainline these days.
Probably better for the Link crew to offer a small snack than nothing at all. Can’t imagine the Saab’s would have much room to keep all the stock for the buy on board menu either.

Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

kookaburra75

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Somehow I don’t think the APS staff will flood to this service.
They didn't the first time they set up the flights when Rex was first formed, after Ansett had folded. They even set up a lounge in Canberra to counter the excuse that they didn't have a lounge. However, the APS couldn't even book on the Rex flights - maybe as Qantas Business Travel had the all-of-government contract at the time?

antycbr

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
They didn't the first time they set up the flights when Rex was first formed, after Ansett had folded. They even set up a lounge in Canberra to counter the excuse that they didn't have a lounge. However, the APS couldn't even book on the Rex flights - maybe as Qantas Business Travel had the all-of-government contract at the time?
QBT is required to follow best fare of the day rules, they are a travel agent that just happened to be owned by QF. If ZL didnt make their flights available through the relevant GDS link to QBT, then they wouldnt be able to be booked.

Of course, there's a million tricks which APS staff are aware of that ensure they end up on QF (and ideally on a jet service).

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..