Virgin Australia and Qatar Announce Strategic Partnership

Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

RAM

Established Member
Interesting comments from Qatar Airlines CEO Akbar Al Baker at an Air Transport Conference, especially given the past relations between QR and QF! The Oz on-line

And on delays at airports (not DOH :) )
How un-Q like: telling it like it is!

CEO of Sydney Airport admits on TV last night that on recent long weekend that passenger load was around 100% of pre-Covid but staffing across Sydney Airport was only at 70% of pre-Covid levels.

Over to you Alan!

SCM

Intern
Does anyone know this, to obtain the velocity statuses (like silver, gold, plat) you need X amount of VA flights. Does that mean VA metal or codeshare will do? So for example would these QR operated codeshare flights quality? And I guess the same question for any other codeshare like EY.

andye

Virgin
Platinum
Does anyone know this, to obtain the velocity statuses (like silver, gold, plat) you need X amount of VA flights. Does that mean VA metal or codeshare will do? So for example would these QR operated codeshare flights quality? And I guess the same question for any other codeshare like EY.
I have previously earned eligible sectors on EY metal with VA flight numbers.
Was years ago but don't see why it should have changed

Bagpuss

Established Member
If you are flying on any metal (IE EY, QR, UA) and you have purchased a Virgin ticket, so it's VA<number> it is an eligible sector and will count to status retention.

HS-TQE

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
QR will expand their DOH-ADL-AKL service to 5 weekly. Good news for VA FFs in ADL.
ADL-AKL service will still be a redeye and a early afternoon service back from AKL to ADL after a brief layover in AKL.

SCM

Intern
At the moment QR J is one of the most expensive from AU to EU, just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this for the VA partnership? Will QR drop prices anytime soon? I can't imagine their oil costs are very high. SQ is about 6k to QR's 8k for most European cities, but no codeshare with VA unfortunately.

BNEFlyer

Virgin
Gold
At the moment QR J is one of the most expensive from AU to EU, just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this for the VA partnership? Will QR drop prices anytime soon? I can't imagine their oil costs are very high. SQ is about 6k to QR's 8k for most European cities, but no codeshare with VA unfortunately.
Once the agreement begins next month you'll start to see codeshare flights loaded.

Mr H

Established Member

QR would be arguing that their Q Suites service is F in all but name - to allow people to use it when their employers' policies prohibit travel in F. So QR would say they are cheaper than SQ F. The SQ J product has misalignment between seats and footwells making lieflat quite uncomfortable for most passengers.

Your money, your choice.

SCM

Intern
QR would be arguing that their Q Suites service is F in all but name - to allow people to use it when their employers' policies prohibit travel in F. So QR would say they are cheaper than SQ F. The SQ J product has misalignment between seats and footwells making lieflat quite uncomfortable for most passengers.

Your money, your choice.

I don't disagree with that, it's just that QR J (and yes q-suites) used to be much cheaper. I understand they are having huge demand for this product, and I guess that's why, I'm just wondering how long that persists I guess.