Virgin Atlantic "Little Red" to cease operation | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Virgin Atlantic "Little Red" to cease operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anat0l

Enthusiast
Wow. That was quick.

Well there goes pretty much the domestic competition. I wonder what will come of the Little Red slots at LHR.

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

trippin_the_rift

Established Member
Full credit to Little Red for giving it a shot!

There's no shame in closing a business.

anat0l

Enthusiast

That's the first time I've heard anyone praise a young airline which is closing for just that.

Most of the critique will say it was simply a flawed business and foolish investment, hence why they didn't survive, or simply that they didn't tough it out for long enough.

anat0l

Enthusiast

jpk

The entire point of Little Red was to get the LHR landing slots. To get them VS had to run those domestic routes for a couple years, then they could be converted to other destinations. I don't think Virgin ever expected Little Red to make much or any profit, the goal was always long term - get the slots to expand the long haul operation. Most people expected Little Red to shutdown as soon as the regulatory need was gone - the operation was wet leased from Aer Lingus. Now that DL pulls the strings at VS and gutted their network last week, it would appear they no longer want those slots and hence it might shutdown sooner.

notzac

Established Member
Re: Virgin ditches Little Red

I commented on this elsewhere, but if your customers want one thing (a standalone domestic network) and you set up the operation to do something else (support a long-haul network), then it should come as no surprise to anyone when things don't work out the way you want.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Re: Virgin ditches Little Red

A friend of mine has done a few Little Red flights - connecting off VS long haul. They have always reported the flights to be near empty :(

Status
Not open for further replies.